PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crusader, help needed.

Smorgonoffz
2014-06-10, 07:19 PM
As stated by the title, i need some help in choosing the feats for my lockdown build.

Ideally the talents should be :

Feats:
Human: Combat Reflexes
1: Stand Still
3: Extra Granted Maneuver
6: Combat Expertise
9: Improved Trip
12: Robilar’s Gambit
15: Defensive Sweep (PHB2)
18: Overwhelming Assault (PHB2)

The problem is that the pc is a goliath and uses the spiked chain(yes the dm is okay with this), so i've less talents to choose from. Any tip is welcome.

Ps: i can use 1 flaw

Red Fel
2014-06-10, 07:42 PM
If 3.0 content is available, I'd suggest trading out Extra Granted Maneuver for Knock-Down. It would have to come after Improved Trip, but the benefit is substantial.

Basically, if you're between an enemy and your allies, Thicket of Blades + Combat Reflexes + Stand Still / Knock-Down + Defensive Sweep will ensure that they won't pass. If an enemy is adjacent to your allies, Iron Guard's Glare + Combat Reflexes + Robilar's Gambit + Knock-Down + Defensive Sweep + Overwhelming Assault will ensure that they won't move. (Because they will attack you. And that's a mistake.)

Note that Stand Still becomes useless once an enemy is adjacent to your allies, unless it's a highly mobile enemy, because they've already passed you. Stopping them from moving won't stop them from acting. That's the advantage of Knock-Down - it doesn't just stop them from moving, it knocks them prone. And, because of Improved Trip, you can take an immediate melee attack on your prone enemy. And, because of Defensive Sweep, you get another one at the beginning of the next round.

All-in-all, it's a great lockdown build. Very efficient.

Smorgonoffz
2014-06-10, 07:45 PM
@RedFel:Thanks for the help but unfortunately t 3.0 material isn't allowed, only 3.5.
Also it might be embarassing but in which order should i choose those talents from 1st level to 18th

Red Fel
2014-06-10, 07:48 PM
@RedFel: unfortunately t 3.0 material isn't allowed, only 3.5

Then I'd say you're pretty good. I mean, if you really wanted to squeeze stuff in, and you expect to be swarmed by multiple opponents, you might try Curling Wave Strike from Stormwrack, which lets you replace the attack you get on a tripped opponent from Improved Trip with a second trip attack against another opponent in range. Otherwise? Rock on.

Smorgonoffz
2014-06-10, 07:58 PM
Nice ideas, i'll look into them this afternoon.

The progression of the talents will be the same minus overwhelming assault