PDA

View Full Version : Player Help druid question regarding Will-o-Wips and Extraordinary abilities. Conflicting RAW.

Agamemmnoth
2014-06-10, 07:45 PM
Ok so there are conflicting rules I'm finding on the invisibility of the wisp

The monsters manual states "Using an extraordinary ability is a free action unless otherwise noted."

the PHB states "Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are usually standard actions that cannot be disrupted, do not require concentration,and do not provoke attacks of opportunity."

So which is it? I'm inclined to go with monsters manual as it states "free action unless otherwise noted." Plus it's the primary source for monsters and their abilities. I'm I right on this?

Edit:
I'm asking this in regards to it's invisibility EX. Is it a free action or standard action to use.

shadowseve
2014-06-10, 08:02 PM
Ok so there are conflicting rules I'm finding on the invisibility of the wisp

The monsters manual states "Using an extraordinary ability is a free action unless otherwise noted."

the PHB states "Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are usually standard actions that cannot be disrupted, do not require concentration,and do not provoke attacks of opportunity."

So which is it? I'm inclined to go with monsters manual as it states "free action unless otherwise noted." Plus it's the primary source for monsters and their abilities. I'm I right on this?

Edit:
I'm asking this in regards to it's invisibility EX. Is it a free action or standard action to use.

Assuming you're shaping into this due to aberration wild shape I believe it's a free action.

"A startled or frightened will-o’-wisp can extinguish its glow, effectively becoming invisible as the spell." It says nothing about it being a standard action.

If you go with the monsters manual which is the primary source in this case. It's a free action.