PDA

View Full Version : Which would be better/more interesting?

atemu1234
2014-06-10, 07:59 PM
I'm running a CR 14 encounter for my group and they're encountering a group of githyanki gish. These Gish are either going to be classic fighter 1/wizard 5/eldritch knight 4 with enough members to make CR 14, or they'll be Duskblade 10s. Which would make for a more interesting encounter?

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-10, 09:40 PM
Personally, I'd go with duskblade. if this isn't going to be a huge, important encounter, then it's most likely not going to be super memorable, and straight duskblade 10 is easier, I'd think.

Falcon X
2014-06-11, 01:28 AM
Pure flavor-wise, classic giths would go the Eldritch Knight path.

Eldritch knight also has many more possibilities if you give them each different specializations. Have one gith manipulating the environment while the rest shoot off long range spells until you get close enough for melee.

Duskblades are mostly limited to melee, though they are much better at it. If you could have a combination of the two classes, it would be best.

Xerlith
2014-06-11, 01:44 AM
I would go to the roots and make them Psychic Warriors. Maybe multiclassed into Slayers. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2014-06-11, 02:14 AM
Duskblades are mostly limited to melee, though they are much better at it. If you could have a combination of the two classes, it would be best.

This, really. I'd have one be a Duskblade, one a Fighter/Wizard/Abjurant Champion, and two Fighter/Wizard/Eldritch Knight. The Duskblade and Abjurant Champion are the frontliners while the Eldritch Knights throw down some BFC and rays and dart into the fray if one of the others seem to be close to falling.

nedz
2014-06-11, 03:42 AM
Half and half would be more interesting, more difficult to run though. Otherwise, which ever you prefer. I don't think it matters too much.

Khedrac
2014-06-11, 06:21 AM
I am so glad you used the word "mostly", even though I think it is false! Most people always seem to regard Duskblades as melee characters purely and simply.

Yes, their class features are melee-based, but their spell list is mainly ranged spells. Except for first level, where their ranged spells are limited, they have very few touch spells, and their channeling is touch spells only.

In many ways I see Duskblades as characters that blast with ray spells until you close, at which point they channel and make you wish you stayed at range...

nedz
2014-06-11, 06:46 AM
Interesting view, you could almost Tank with this class.
Stand off blasting with Rays (Actually the best rays aren't blasty, of course) forcing them to close and deal with you.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-11, 09:55 AM
Eldrich Knight vs Abjurant Champion isn't a meaningful distinction, as AC is "Eldrich Knight, plus class features." But the gish-vs-duskblade... well, as has been previously mentioned, it depends on how much work you want to put into this. A swarm of identical Duskblades would be a good fight that's easy to prep for; a swarm of specialized gish would be a good, memorable fight that takes a ton of work.

I am so glad you used the word "mostly", even though I think it is false! Most people always seem to regard Duskblades as melee characters purely and simply.

Yes, their class features are melee-based, but their spell list is mainly ranged spells. Except for first level, where their ranged spells are limited, they have very few touch spells, and their channeling is touch spells only.

In many ways I see Duskblades as characters that blast with ray spells until you close, at which point they channel and make you wish you stayed at range...
Not to mention bows and Knowledge Devotion (and the skill points to use it!)

atemu1234
2014-06-11, 12:40 PM
I was rereading Unearthed Arcana and I came across the variant where the Wizard gains fighter bonus feats unlike the normal wizard. Could this be used to make a better Gish than either of the above class/class combos?

nedz
2014-06-11, 01:13 PM
I was rereading Unearthed Arcana and I came across the variant where the Wizard gains fighter bonus feats unlike the normal wizard. Could this be used to make a better Gish than either of the above class/class combos?

It's a standard dip for a Gish, but by itself you are missing BAB and HP.