PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ways to help a new player with character depth- without being a jerk about it

Teapot Salty
2014-06-10, 09:27 PM
Hey guys. So, in a recent session, while the dm had left us to our own devices to talk amongst ourselves for a few moments as he collected his thoughts/cleared up some work, we talked about things we were going to do in the next town, regardless, most of us were going to do things that fit our character (the chaotic evil fighter for example, was seriously considering pillaging/burning down slums etc.) but a fairly new player, a rogue, litarally just said "backstab and steal stuff." I want to talk to him a bit about playing a character, instead of just playing to the concept of the class. But how do I do this without sounding obnoxious and offensive? Thanks, and as always, go nuts.

Pyromancer999
2014-06-10, 10:07 PM
There are many different types of players in tabletop games. Not all are going to be as devoted to having out a fleshed out character with motivations and other background things as some are.

You're obviously a player that appreciates complexity in a character, as that makes a game more interesting to you. Still, other players may favor a more simple character. This difference in preference does not give you the right to dictate how another player plays his or her character unless it's seriously disruptive to the game as a whole.

It is fine if his character is simple, as in my experience,mmany new players do just start out with a simple character and flesh themselves out over the course of the game, intentionally or not. You do not need to necessarily speak to him about it if the sole reason is that the character is too simple for your liking.

If you absolutely must speak with the new player, don't put your concerns in terms of your wants. Just express that you've had more fun with characters that have a few goals, a background, and/or personality traits in mind beforehand, and he might enjoy the game more if he fleshes out his character a bit more, although he is free not to if he wants.

Teapot Salty
2014-06-10, 10:56 PM
There are many different types of players in tabletop games. Not all are going to be as devoted to having out a fleshed out character with motivations and other background things as some are.

You're obviously a player that appreciates complexity in a character, as that makes a game more interesting to you. Still, other players may favor a more simple character. This difference in preference does not give you the right to dictate how another player plays his or her character unless it's seriously disruptive to the game as a whole.

It is fine if his character is simple, as in my experience,mmany new players do just start out with a simple character and flesh themselves out over the course of the game, intentionally or not. You do not need to necessarily speak to him about it if the sole reason is that the character is too simple for your liking.

If you absolutely must speak with the new player, don't put your concerns in terms of your wants. Just express that you've had more fun with characters that have a few goals, a background, and/or personality traits in mind beforehand, and he might enjoy the game more if he fleshes out his character a bit more, although he is free not to if he wants.

Your right, it is rather selfish of me to say: "play a more fleshed out character, for me" *bats eyelashes* I think I'll introduce him to the concept (I wasn't kidding when I said he was new) of fleshing out the character, but I'll let him decide and try not to get control freaky about it.

Airk
2014-06-11, 03:44 PM
Is it inappropriate to point out that "pillaging/burning down slums" is pretty much a textbook example of a poorly developed character as well? :smallconfused: So you might want to try leading by example here. And then leading with leading questions. Some people respond really well to being gently nudged "So what are you going to do with your share of the loot?" or "This is your hometown, right? What's a good way to lay low?" Other people, of course, will be caught flatfooted by these sorts of questions and flail about ineffectively and/or become uncomfortable.

Otherwise, I think this is just the sort of thing that's best addressed by honest discussion - "One of the things I've always found fun about roleplaying games is being able to develop a nuanced character; Does that sound like something that interests you?" Followed by "Cool, so here are some tricks that work for me!" or "No worries; As long as you're enjoying yourself." as appropriate.

Teapot Salty
2014-06-11, 08:05 PM
Is it inappropriate to point out that "pillaging/burning down slums" is pretty much a textbook example of a poorly developed character as well? :smallconfused: So you might want to try leading by example here. And then leading with leading questions. Some people respond really well to being gently nudged "So what are you going to do with your share of the loot?" or "This is your hometown, right? What's a good way to lay low?" Other people, of course, will be caught flatfooted by these sorts of questions and flail about ineffectively and/or become uncomfortable.

Otherwise, I think this is just the sort of thing that's best addressed by honest discussion - "One of the things I've always found fun about roleplaying games is being able to develop a nuanced character; Does that sound like something that interests you?" Followed by "Cool, so here are some tricks that work for me!" or "No worries; As long as you're enjoying yourself." as appropriate.

For your first point, it's more of the players favorite hobby...if he can get away with it. (my character tends to say: "Don't do it if you don't want 12 arrows and a poisoned dagger in the back)

You also bring up a good point about gentle nudging, thanks.

Kalmageddon
2014-06-12, 05:27 AM
First thing you should do is find out if this new player is at all interested in your playstyle or if he's in it just for the social aspect of the game. Then work from there.

Jay R
2014-06-13, 07:11 PM
Ask questions, rather than making suggestions.

"Hey, I don't know your character that well yet. When we get back to town, is he more likely to go to the tavern first and then start preparing for the next adventure, or is he the type who will go straight to the shops to replenish supplies before he starts partying?"

"My fighter's long term goal is to eventually get enough power to establish a fiefdom that he carves out of the wilderness. Would your Rogue be more interested in helping him with that, or do you have some specific long-term goal I could help with?"

This will prod him in your direction only if he has any interest in doing it, and will convince you to stop trying if he isn't.

INDYSTAR188
2014-06-13, 10:43 PM
Maybe look for a random character trait and background table online and have him roll to see what kind of character he could rp?