PDA

View Full Version : Exponent of Mechanus [PrC] [currently broken]

Inyssius Tor
2007-02-21, 05:51 PM
Yes, yes, I know it's unbalanced. Can anyone help?

I'll think about requirements, HD, and skills and post those later (unless this draft is met with cries of "Oh god, it's hideous!" and "The goggles! They do nothing!" and "Get your homebrew piece of crud out of our awesome forum, noob!").

Fluff:There have been many accounts of the exemplars of Light and Darkness, those few people who literally embody the virtues of the Outer Planes. Paladins, who embody the virtues of Good, are the most praised. Far less attention is given to those very few who embody the far more fundamental forces of Order and Chaos, without which nothing would exist. The exemplars of Law and Order, those who heed the call of Mechanus, are known as Exponents, and they wield a power far more awe-inspiring than that held by the warriors of Good.
Exponent
noun
A person or thing that is a representative, advocate, type, or symbol of something.

{table=head]Level| BAB |Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+0|
+x|
+x|
+x|Anathema To Chance, Sabotage Chance, Law's Power 4/day

2nd|
+1|
+x|
+x|
+x|Lawful Strike

3rd|
+2|
+x|
+x|
+x|Perfect Order, Law's Power 6/day

4th|
+3|
+x|
+x|
+x|Adherence to Law

5th|
+3|
+x|
+x|
+x|Project Order, Law's Power 8/day

6th|
+4|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|
+5|
+x|
+x|
+x|Order's Aura, Law's Power 10/day

8th|
+6/+1|
+x|
+x|
+x|Empower Average

9th|
+6/+1|
+x|
+x|
+x|Order's Wrath, Law's Power 12/day

10th|
+7/+2|
+x|
+x|
+x|Maximise Average[/table]

Law's Power: Four times a day, an Exponent of Mechanus may add +1 to any roll. This may be used more than once on a single roll, and may be used an additional two times at 3rd level and every two levels thereafter.

Anathema to Chance: Exponents of Mechanus are flooded with lawful power. They no longer roll dice when dealing damage, and instead deal the average damage of the weapon or spell (so a Greatsword would deal 6 damage instead of 2d6, and a 5th-level Fireball would deal 17 points of damage).

Sabotage Chance: An Exponent of Mechanus can expend 2 uses of Law's Power to subtract 1 from any roll. This may be used more than once on a single roll.

Lawful Strike: From 2nd level onward, any attack made by an Exponent of Mechanus counts as Lawful for the purpose of overcoming DR.

Perfect Order: From 3rd level onward, Exponents may take ten on any d20 roll, regardless of whether they would be able to take ten ordinarily. This includes attack rolls.

Adherence to Law: As Exponents are closely attuned to the plane of Mechanus, they are more tightly bound by law. They instinctively know all local rules, laws, and mandates. They may not break major laws (murder, arson, high treason, etc.) without a Will save (not susceptible to Perfect Order; DC 15 + twice the character's number of Exponent levels); if successful, the Exponent suffers a -4 penalty on all d20 "rolls" for a week afterward. This penalty may be lowered to -2 at the DM's discretion (if the character would normally find such a law inherently unjust). Exponents suffer a -2 penalty for each minor law they break, but do not have to make a Will save to do so; this lasts two days, and at the DM's discretion the penalty may be lowered to -1.

Project Order: At 5th level, an Exponent of Mechanus can expend 4 uses of Law's Power to make any single roll function as though under the effect of Perfect Order or Anathema to Chance.

Order's Aura: At 7th level, an Exponent of Mechanus can expend 6 uses of Law's Power to make every roll within 15 feet function as though under the effect of Perfect Order or Anathema to Chance for one round.

Empower Average: At 8th level, an Exponent of Mechanus can expend 8 uses of Law's Power to treat any roll as if Empowered (as the feat, but not limited to spells).

Order's Wrath: At 9th level, an Exponent of Mechanus can expend 10 uses of Law's Power to cast Order's Wrath (as the spell).

Maximise Average: At 10th level, an Exponent of Mechanus can expend 12 uses of Law's Power to treat any roll as if Maximized (as the feat, but not limited to spells).

Baron Corm
2007-02-21, 07:34 PM
i'd call it underpowered. anathema to chance and perfect order are drawbacks as i see it; you're getting the same rolls over time but with a lower maximum effect, and you can never critical hit. project order and order's aura are useful if you need something to work though.

empower average and maximize average i'm afraid make no sense to me flavor-wise or sense-wise, and adding 12 to the roll would probably make it higher than either of those two in most cases.

going all the way back to law's power - that doesn't really sit well with me either. should druids get an ability called nature's power that does the same thing? paladins getting good's power that does the same thing? just stating that law is "powerful" doesn't really justify giving bonuses to rolls.

overall, sweet name and one of the better-executed "law paladins" that i've seen, but you're not really getting your xp's worth when you spend 10 levels on it.

cferejohn
2007-02-21, 09:28 PM
Point of order: the average roll on 2D6 is 6, not 7. Each die averages 3.5, so if you roll one, that rounds down to an average of 3 (since by default all .5s roll down in D20), but you are really sticking it to yourself if you don't add up the .5s when rolling multiple dice.

Given that characters should generally benifit as luck is removed (since things are generally balanced so that the characters will be favored to win most encounters), Anathema to luck should be an advantage, but it's a relatively small one. Given the existance of critical hits, however, Perfect Order definitely makes the character worse.

I'm not sure why you think this is overpowered. Generally speaking, I think this is tremendously underpowered, and as the oh-so-poetically named FlyingPoo22 has pointed out, adding bonuses doesn't really make a lot of sense. If I'm counting correctly, the Exponent gets 12 uses of Law's Power total, so he can maximize one thing a day (at the expense of most of his other powers). That's not much of a capstone. Also, why not just 1 use/exponent level plus 1 per point of Wisdom(?) bonus? That's kind of the standard pattern.

I would think this PrC should function in relation to chaos/law as a Paladin does with respect to good/evil. Detect chaos and smite chaos. Order's Wrath is good, but once again, if he uses it once, he's pretty much done for the day as far as powers go and he's falling back on whatever his base class abilities are (and having a mediocre BaB bonus isn't going to help out much either).

Stat out a (pick a base class) 10/Exponent 10, and compare it to a 20th level version of the base class. The 20th level version of the base class, *any* base class is going to wipe the floor with it. Maybe the Bard is close if they are just fighting head-to-head, but a Bard's strength relies on making his party better anyway. Any other class and it's not remotely close.

Inyssius Tor
2007-02-21, 11:25 PM
All right; I'll get some sleep and overhaul this when I have time. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-02-21, 11:45 PM
and you can never critical hit.
I'd think you could add something that says you still roll for your attacks, but that roll only affects the chance of a critical. Not sure how to word it "properly", but I think you can figure out what I'm getting at.

The other underpowering concerns probably wuoldn't be fixed so easily.

cferejohn
2007-02-22, 01:34 AM
I'd think you could add something that says you still roll for your attacks, but that roll only affects the chance of a critical. Not sure how to word it "properly", but I think you can figure out what I'm getting at.

Yeah, OK. Kind of cludgy and weird, but it at least would stop the "ability" from being a disadvantage. It still is not a great ability.

Lapak
2007-02-22, 10:06 AM

The other underpowering concerns probably wuoldn't be fixed so easily.I don't like this as an idea; you're either imposing order or not, and critical hits are not orderly.

I'd either drop the power altogether or make it something the Exponent can turn off. With this fix you're not imposing Order on them, you're weighting Chaos in their favor.