PDA

View Full Version : Player Help druid question? assume supernatural ability and aberration wild shape. New player.

eternal
2014-06-10, 11:56 PM
So after reading about druids and all the sick things they get, I'm abandoning my other rogue like character and going druid. (previous druid had life issue he had to bail on the game.) His loss :smallbiggrin:

So I'm reading this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940.0) and this (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1087841)

I'm interested in aberration wild shape with the assume supernatural ability. Now the list gives a crap ton of monsters with great ex abilities, (Five-headed Terror with venom fire, thoon elder brain, I also saw in the mm will o wisp which looks awesome). I'm also interested in some of the juicer SU abilities.

Also if I may ask when I'm high enough level for shape change what are some of the best options?

I'm brand new to this so any help is appreciated.

eggynack
2014-06-11, 12:05 AM
I would skip the assume supernatural ability. Just running aberration wild shape, and occasionally combining it with enhance wild shape, is usually going to be more than enough. If you'd like, I could always just PM over a copy of my in progress handbook on the topic of druids. In addition to a massive pile of other stuff, it also has one of the better lists for aberration wild shape out there, particularly focused on abilities you can't really find elsewhere. As for shapechange, the general best option is zodar (FF, 199) for its Su wish ability. It only works once a year, but you can change to something else and change back to restore it.

eternal
2014-06-11, 12:11 AM
I would skip the assume supernatural ability. Just running aberration wild shape, and occasionally combining it with enhance wild shape, is usually going to be more than enough. If you'd like, I could always just PM over a copy of my in progress handbook on the topic of druids. In addition to a massive pile of other stuff, it also has one of the better lists for aberration wild shape out there, particularly focused on abilities you can't really find elsewhere. As for shapechange, the general best option is zodar (FF, 199) for its Su wish ability. It only works once a year, but you can change to something else and change back to restore it.

Thanks I would def appreciate that. I'll take your advice on the feat. He's banned planar shepherd so he'd probably ban that as well if it's borked. It was your post on that fey that caught my eye anyways.

eternal
2014-06-11, 12:21 AM
Since my original class was a gestalt factotum how good would that class be for the other part of the druid?

eggynack
2014-06-11, 12:23 AM
Since my original class was a gestalt factotum how good would that class be for the other part of the druid?
It'd be reasonably strong. The extra standard actions work well with any casting class, though the lack of ability score synergy isn't the best thing. The small smattering of wizard spells is also helpful for filling in some of the gaps in the druid list.

eternal
2014-06-11, 12:29 AM
It'd be reasonably strong. The extra standard actions work well with any casting class, though the lack of ability score synergy isn't the best thing. The small smattering of wizard spells is also helpful for filling in some of the gaps in the druid list.

yeah both my wis and int are 18(got really damn good luck on my rolls, 14, 16,16, 18 , 18, 13) My dm dropped his jaw as he's used to see 8, 10, 12, but he's allowing is so... Btw that handbook is huge. I know what I'll be reading tonight lol. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways man thanks for helping a new guy out.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-11, 01:24 AM
If all you want is the extra action there's other options besides factotum for a gestalt. Psionics works very well with Anticipatory Strike, Sense Danger, Synchronicity, Schism and Temporal Acceleration, even if you refrain from abusing Synchronicity to its full potential.

Taking Ardent also allows you some useful dips while still getting 9th level powers, and it has Wisdom synergy. Unless you want the skills it's superior to factotum imo.

eternal
2014-06-11, 02:05 AM
If all you want is the extra action there's other options besides factotum for a gestalt. Psionics works very well with Anticipatory Strike, Sense Danger, Synchronicity, Schism and Temporal Acceleration, even if you refrain from abusing Synchronicity to its full potential.

Taking Ardent also allows you some useful dips while still getting 9th level powers, and it has Wisdom synergy. Unless you want the skills it's superior to factotum imo.

I'm afraid I haven't read much on that class so I'll have to look into it.

Any pointers with it or particular things that make it great?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-11, 04:05 AM
I'm afraid I haven't read much on that class so I'll have to look into it.

Any pointers with it or particular things that make it great?

The main draw for Ardent is that it gets powers by manifester level instead of class level. So you can take some dips, take Practiced Manifester and still get the highest level powers.
Then there's the Dominant Ideal ACF which lets you keep your psionic focus when you use metapsionics on the powers of one of your mantles.
For a detailed overview i suggest the Ardent Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1319).

eternal
2014-06-11, 04:58 AM
The main draw for Ardent is that it gets powers by manifester level instead of class level. So you can take some dips, take Practiced Manifester and still get the highest level powers.
Then there's the Dominant Ideal ACF which lets you keep your psionic focus when you use metapsionics on the powers of one of your mantles.
For a detailed overview i suggest the Ardent Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1319).

I will look into that thanks.