PDA

View Full Version : question on spell triger item

Azraile
2014-06-11, 02:32 AM
Dose a wonderous item that casts a spell when it brakes count as a spell trigger item?

Jeff the Green
2014-06-11, 02:37 AM
It depends. Most Wondrous Items that duplicate spells are command word activated, but I don't think there's anything specifically prohibiting one from being spell trigger activated.

Azraile
2014-06-11, 02:46 AM
well could you say a word, then throw it and when it brakes the spell goes off?

I just thought of putting crystalized dust of dryiness in some water or lquid nitrogen or what ever some cool **** alcamy can cook up... in a nice sealed bottle for a wall of ice sphere

Make a nice big wall of ice several feet thick with high preasure water inside?

SWEET

Curmudgeon
2014-06-11, 04:05 AM
Spell trigger activation requires all of the following:

identifying the spell stored in the item ahead of time
having a special knowledge of spellcasting
using a standard action (by default)
speaking a special spell trigger word

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
It doesn't sound like you'd have any way to accommodate all of these particulars.

Psyren
2014-06-11, 08:33 AM
Wondrous Items do not use the spell trigger method unless specifically stated otherwise. The whole point of a Wondrous Item is being a magic item that anybody can use; the spell trigger activation method would limit it to casters, which is counterproductive to their general purpose.

For example, boots of levitation let you cast levitate on yourself at will whether you are a spellcaster or not.

Now, you can certainly create a wondrous item that activates when broken, but as Curmudgeon stated that would not be "spell trigger." (In fact, there are even rules for items like this - spell tiles from CArc, which work like potions, are "break to activate" and are also usable by anyone.)

Azraile
2014-06-11, 09:05 AM
damn I really wan't a way to add metamagic to the item to make that ice exstra thick

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-11, 09:12 AM
I don't think you can add metamagic feats to such items...

Or if you could, it would cost more than you are expecting.

Forrestfire
2014-06-11, 09:20 AM
I don't think you can add metamagic feats to such items...

Or if you could, it would cost more than you are expecting.

Or he could be an artificer and be able to do it for free.

Psyren
2014-06-11, 09:54 AM
damn I really wan't a way to add metamagic to the item to make that ice exstra thick

You can bake that into the item just fine. Wondrous Items work exactly as you specify, which is one reason why costing them is so difficult. But so long as your DM is willing to work with you, you can make just about anything you can imagine.

For your "Ice Dome Bomb" I would word it as follows:

Instant Igloo Flask

Physical Description: This intricate, hollow glass cylinder radiates cold to the touch. Though the inside is coated in frost, you can just make out a cluster of bright blue crystals floating suspended in a clear, almost gelid fluid.

Activation: When hurled at a target as a standard action (see "Target a Grid Intersection," PHB 158), the flask instantly shatters; the cold air within rushes out, forming a dome of ice centered on that intersection. Treat this as an empowered wall of ice spell, except you can only form the hemispherical configuration and you must use the maximum dimensions for the flask's caster level (CL 9th.) If insufficient room is available for the dome to form, use the maximum dimensions that can fit in the room available - the dome fits in that area if possible and is constrained without damage by or to the surrounding materials or harming any creatures in that area. If a creature is too large to fit within the dome's area, the spell fails.

The glass can also shatter if dropped onto a hard surface. If dropped intentionally, the user chooses a grid intersection adjacent to their square on which to center the spell. If dropped accidentally, choose the grid intersection randomly.

Moderate evocation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, Empower Spell, wall of ice; Price ???

Azraile
2014-06-11, 05:22 PM
you forgot the water hehe

yah would be complicated lol

was going to call it ice coffin ^.^

probly use more than one dust of dryness crystal.

Say anything smaller than large is traped in ice and presurised water.... takes xdx force damage per round and starts to suficate if they can not breath water.... maybe start to take cold damage after so many rounds pass if they are not free. (as the water starts to freeze)