PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can Your Friends Do This? Or, Let's Build a Genie!

Red Fel
2014-06-11, 09:20 AM
Alright. I decided to do something adventurous, reckless, crazy, perhaps even stupid.

I'm going to try to make a Pathfinder character. I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

I have become enamored of the Wishcrafter archetype, and so I'm planning to go with an Ifrit Sorcerer (Wishcrafter). That said, several things emerge.

First, the Wishcrafter archetype replaces all Bloodline Bonus Spells, Bloodline Feats, and Bloodline Arcana. It does not replace other class features, such as Bloodline Powers or Eschew Materials. Thus, if I wanted to, I could also take another archetype that does not clash, such as Seeker.

Second, I've observed that while Arcane Bloodline is the default, the popular choice (particularly for an Ifrit) is Elemental (Fire). However, I'm not designing a blaster with this build. In fact, I have two rules for the character: (1) direct damage (and actively killing a target) is to be avoided when possible, and (2) direct mental control (as opposed to illusions, minor enchantments, or things that physically control the subject) is to be avoided when possible. Basically, it's a BFC/illusionist sort of build. That kind of turns me off of Elemental bloodlines. Efreeti seems to be a nice choice, thematically appropriate; although much of its power is destructive, the 1/day Limited Wish is kind of nice, as is the fire immunity and plane shift. I was pleasantly surprised by the Maestro Bloodline as well; as its capstone, I can cast spells with a verbal component as if they were subject to Still Spell, and thanks to Wishcrafter, I can uses wishes as verbal components.

All that said, several questions:

1. Is Wishcrafter worth it?
2. Is taking a second archetype (such as Seeker) worth it?
3. What Bloodline would go well with this concept?
4. Overall, does the concept work, or would it be a pain for the party?
5. If it sounds good, how do I do it?

And remember, this is my first foray into PF, so please, be gentle.