PDA

View Full Version : Proof my custom magic item

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-11, 01:04 PM
An object which would grant glibness could be made by a 5th level artificer. This would follow the continuous wondrous item formula for 3(spell level)*5(caster level)*2000*1.5(based off spell duration cost).

Is there an easier way to obtain something similar or comparable?

Would a 1 a day glibness item be a better idea?

3*5*1800

Can I make it more than once a day, If so, what's the cost increase per charge?

i feel like once I start bluffing ill need it more than once a day...

Any experienced advice is appreciated.

John Longarrow
2014-06-11, 01:23 PM
By the rules, once you start getting +x to skills you calculate as skill bonus squared * 100 gp. For +30, your talking 90,000gp.

This is the same reason you can't make a permanent mage armor 2,000gp and instead need to make bracers or a ring for a lot more.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-11, 01:26 PM
K I'll just go for a +10 then. I didn't think it was a rules conflict so much as making more wise choices.

thethird
2014-06-11, 01:28 PM
you could still create a schema (1/day), or an eternal wand (2/day)

AugustNights
2014-06-11, 01:32 PM
Custom magic items are fibilty. Not only is there the formula to consider, but there's also the intended effect.
For example, True Strike is a L.1 spell, but +20 to hit is a fantastic effect.

What it looks like you are trying to build is a +30 to Bluff magic item, which for a continuous effect may well be an epic magic item.

Assuming we follow the formula for a Command Word Activated Uses Per Day Wondrous Item
For charges per day; it should be (Spell level (3) × caster level (7) × 2,000 gp) / (5 / charges per day)...

Gilbness is particularly fibilty, particularly from an Artificer. As that you are making an item that duplicates a spell effect,you'll have to use the artificer's actual level as its caster level, not the fancy level+2. As that Glibness is a L.3 Bard spell, it requires a L.7 Caster level to emulate. Weird, Artificer text seems to negate itself directly after stipulating that rule. Ignore that...

4,2000 / (5/ Charges per day) Standard Action Command Word, 50 minutes of +30.

25,200 gold for 3 charges per day...
8,400 gold for 1 charge per day...

Of course, you'd then want to compare this item to other similar items.
3 uses of +30 to bluff for roughly an hour isn't really all that inconvenient, and would translate in game play to more or less of a +30 to Bluff checks.

Take the Robe of Blending, a 30,000 magic item with a mere +10 to Hide (and a 1,800 gp Hat of disguise trick). It could be said that +10 to skills is worth 28,000...

I'm sure someone will say all this in a far more concise way, but in short, custom magic items are a "talk to your DM" territory.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-06-11, 02:11 PM
Eternal wand will be the way to go

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-11, 03:52 PM
Getting it on a normal wand is also viable. It's doubtful you'll ever use all charges in the course of a normal campaign. Even if you do you'll be able to afford another by the time it happens.
In the meantime you can use Glibness as often as you want/need to.