PDA

View Full Version : Monk Fighting Styles with different feat orders

atemu1234
2014-06-11, 02:09 PM
If a human takes,for example, the Franciscan friar must take vow of chastity at 3rd level and Self-Sufficient at 1st. But would it unbalance it if they took them out of order?

Renen
2014-06-11, 02:24 PM
wat?
/10chars

Xerlith
2014-06-11, 02:31 PM
I don't think you can unbalance something lying dead on the floor.

What you said is... Well. I... Uh.

WHY?

atemu1234
2014-06-11, 02:38 PM
I don't think you can unbalance something lying dead on the floor.

What you said is... Well. I... Uh.

WHY?

Look, it's from Dragon Magazine. Bear with, why won't you?

Renen
2014-06-11, 02:42 PM
bear with who?

atemu1234
2014-06-11, 02:49 PM
bear with who?

...Me. The question still stands. Since it requires the feats at a certain level, if you reach that level and have the feats but take them at different levels, would it be a stretch for a DM to allow it?

Xerlith
2014-06-11, 05:47 PM
Okay. Listen now. Those two feats are sub-optimal to say the least. More like completely useless. On a monk it's basically losing the only way of salvaging the utility of the class. So can you tell us a bit more before we assume you want to cripple some poor character?

And the answer is no, it wouldn't unbalance anything. The feats are completely worthless either way.

eggynack
2014-06-11, 09:08 PM
Okay. Listen now. Those two feats are sub-optimal to say the least. More like completely useless. On a monk it's basically losing the only way of salvaging the utility of the class. So can you tell us a bit more before we assume you want to cripple some poor character?

And the answer is no, it wouldn't unbalance anything. The feats are completely worthless either way.
I think he meant in general, and just used an odd and obscure example, for some reason. As for the core question at work here, or at least the question I think is at work, the answer is still no. there exists no monk fighting style, to my knowledge, that would be imbalanced if you altered the feat order. Definitely not positively imbalanced, at least, because this particular feat assignment stands a good chance of being horribly underpowered. Monks are quite weak, after all.

Flickerdart
2014-06-11, 09:13 PM
Well, Monks are mostly played as a dip anyway, so this would make them more tempting.

atemu1234
2014-06-12, 08:25 AM
I think he meant in general, and just used an odd and obscure example, for some reason. As for the core question at work here, or at least the question I think is at work, the answer is still no. there exists no monk fighting style, to my knowledge, that would be imbalanced if you altered the feat order. Definitely not positively imbalanced, at least, because this particular feat assignment stands a good chance of being horribly underpowered. Monks are quite weak, after all.

Sorry. Odd and obscure example because that's the one I'm using.

Dunditschia
2014-06-12, 12:50 PM
There seems to be some confusion here, OP is referring to the incredibly obscure Franciscan friar monk variant in Dragon 358, page 84. This variant gets self-sufficient on level one for free and vow of chastity for free on level 3, as well as another feat and a few SLA's on level 6.

I think OP confused this with a franciscan friar having to choose these feats instead of his normal feats. This is not true: a franciscan friar monk variant gets these feats for free, only instead of the bonus feats the monk class would normally get at levels 1, 2 and 6. Further rules for monk variant classes are described in unearthed arcana, page 52 according to the dragon article. As written, there is no option of switching out when you take them. However, to answer OP's question: if your DM allows it, taking these two feats in a different order is no problem at all. They're both nearly useless.

eggynack
2014-06-12, 02:21 PM
Sorry. Odd and obscure example because that's the one I'm using.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. As it stands, the answer remains the same. Rearranging monk bonus feats, especially with this mediocre variant, is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.