PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding Cobalt Power, and Cobalt Power + Stone Power combo.

MadBear
2014-06-11, 05:10 PM
I have 2 rules questions that I need help with.

1. So cobalt power states that:

Prerequisite
Power Attack (PH) , CON 13, STR 13,
Benefit
Once per day, you can invest essentia into this feat. You gain an insight bonus on attack rolls or ability checks made to succeed on a bull rush, overrun, or sunder attack equal to the invested essentia. You also gain an insight bonus equal to the invested essentia on damage rolls made when using Power Attack (up to a maximum value equal to the penalty accepted on the attack roll). Once the amount of essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of essentia.

First, do I get a bonus on my attack? When it says that you get a bonus on attack rolls, is that normal attacks, or only bull rush/overrun/sunder maneuvers that you get the bonus?

2. I've heard people mention that you can combine cobalt power and stone power to get a good combo, but I just don't see it. What are people doing?

Stone power states that:
Prerequisite
STR 13, one Stone Dragon maneuver,
Required for
Shards of Granite (ToB) ,
Benefit
When you use an attack action or a full attack action, or you initiate a Stone Dragon strike in melee combat, you can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack rolls. This number cannot exceed your base attack bonus. You gain temporary hit points equal to twice the number that you subtract from your attack rolls (to a maximum of+10). These temporary hitpoints last until the beginning of your next turn.
Special
Stone Power can be used in place of Power Attack to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability. You can take both this feat and Power Attack.

DeltaEmil
2014-06-11, 05:57 PM
First, do I get a bonus on my attack? When it says that you get a bonus on attack rolls, is that normal attacks, or only bull rush/overrun/sunder maneuvers that you get the bonus? Only for the ability check when making a bull rush or overrun attempt, and the attack roll when making a sunder attempt.

2. I've heard people mention that you can combine cobalt power and stone power to get a good combo, but I just don't see it. What are people doing? As far as I can see, it's just using the Stone Power feat to qualify for Cobalt Power, dealing damage from the Cobalt Power feat, and gaining temporary hit points with the Stone Power feat.

MadBear
2014-06-11, 07:45 PM
As far as I can see, it's just using the Stone Power feat to qualify for Cobalt Power, dealing damage from the Cobalt Power feat, and gaining temporary hit points with the Stone Power feat.

If that's true, could you combine power attack, cobalt power, and stone power all at once?

Lets say you take a -7 & have 4 go towards power attack and 3 towards stone power. And you invested 3 essentia in cobalt power

Would that net you:

6 temp HP

9 damage (3 power attack, 3 essentia in power attack, and 3 from essentia in stone power?)

does that work out?

DeltaEmil
2014-06-12, 07:45 AM
If that's true, could you combine power attack, cobalt power, and stone power all at once?

Lets say you take a -7 & have 4 go towards power attack and 3 towards stone power. And you invested 3 essentia in cobalt power

Would that net you:

6 temp HP

9 damage (3 power attack, 3 essentia in power attack, and 3 from essentia in stone power?)

does that work out?The way Cobalt Power is worded, if you use both the Power Attack and Stone Power feats at the same time, you'd probably only be able to gain the bonus damage from Cobalt Power once, but I'm not so sure.

I'd advise to put this question in the Single Q&A thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?348895-Simple-Q-amp-A-D-amp-D-3-5-%28by-RAW%29-XXVII).