PDA

View Full Version : Ffvi

Jonrea
2007-02-21, 08:57 PM
So, I recently got a PS2 since prices for them are dropping, and I've always wanted to go through the FF series starting at FFVI. However, I can't seem to find a cheap (>$30) copy anywhere.

So, should I skip this (allegedly) awesome game, or is there a cheaper way to get it?

--------------

Actually, I was talking about FFVII. But is FFVI good?

Reinforcements
2007-02-21, 09:57 PM
Final Fantasy VI is amazing. It is the best one, with the only other contender being XII. As for VII, it's very okay. I can't imagine getting it all that cheaply (it goes for over $60 US used on amazon.com). Honestly, skipping it wouldn't be awful. Play IV, V, VI, X, XII, and Tactics instead.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-21, 10:05 PM
I've only played FFVII, and I'd say it's very worth buying. I dont remember how much it went for, precisely, but it couldnt have been OMFGLOLBBQ expensive, I still have money left.

rabish12
2007-02-21, 10:29 PM
So, I recently got a PS2 since prices for them are dropping, and I've always wanted to go through the FF series starting at FFVI. However, I can't seem to find a cheap (>$30) copy anywhere.

So, should I skip this (allegedly) awesome game, or is there a cheaper way to get it?

--------------

Actually, I was talking about FFVII. But is FFVI good?
FFVII is definitely worth skipping. I think I've already made it clear in another thread how I feel about that game, and suffice it to say that those feelings aren't positive.

And yes, FFVI is good. Of the main FF games (I to XII), it's probably either the best or second-best depending on how much you like the new way they approached the series with XII, and it has the greatest villain in the entire series (and one of the greatest villains in gaming history).

Inigo_Carmine
2007-02-23, 07:59 AM
Check out Amazon.com: Final Fantasy Anthology (http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Anthology-Collectors-Package/dp/B00002R28C/sr=8-2/qid=1172235655/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4236426-6883968?ie=UTF8&s=videogames) for $20. Both FFV and VI (though many consider 5 to be subpar).

While you're at it, you owe it to yourself to pick up: Final Fantasy Chronicles (http://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-9796-Fantasy-Chronicles/dp/B00005LOXE/sr=8-9/qid=1172235655/ref=pd_bbs_9/104-4236426-6883968?ie=UTF8&s=videogames) for $15. FFIV and Chrono Trigger. Both games are (imho) better than FFVI, and many people (though not me) consider chrono trigger to be square's finest work. One drawback is the playstation version of chrono trigger has a lot of load times whenever you switch between the game and the menu =(.

There's a Final Fantasy thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33110) already on here that you should look at to get some diverse opinions on the various games.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-02-23, 09:39 AM
Just as a note: Final Fantasy Anthologies will not work on first- or second-generation PS2s. I found this out, of course, after I had bought a PS2 and sold my original Playstation all those years ago. Of course, most of the FF re-releases are for original PS anyway, so you could just buy that.

As another alternative, you could buy essentially the Special Edition of Final Fantasy VI (where Biggs shoots first. And is named Biggs, not Vicks) for Game Boy Advance. However, you'd be paying full price for that, so it doesn't really solve your problem.

If you have a new PS2, rather than a used one from the earlier production runs, just follow that Amazon link above.

Oh, and V may be subpar storywise, but it is one of the most entertaining FFs in terms of battles and character building, thanks to the awesome Job System.