PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Selling Pelts

FidgetySquirrel
2014-06-11, 10:58 PM
I was wondering if there is any kind of mechanic for setting the value of things like animal pelts, since these are things that people would have sold way back when. If not, any advice for making one would be appreciated. One of my players is pretty determined to sell some that he got his hands on.

Slipperychicken
2014-06-11, 11:44 PM
I was wondering if there is any kind of mechanic for setting the value of things like animal pelts, since these are things that people would have sold way back when. If not, any advice for making one would be appreciated. One of my players is pretty determined to sell some that he got his hands on.

I'd say it would be a handful of copper for regular "harmless" animals' pelts (such as deer and rabbits).

Maybe CR^2 = gold piece value for exotic monster pelts? Double the number if it's rare or fashionable, halve the number if it's common. Perhaps strange pelts might see use as magic reagents, to explain why people would buy them.

justiceforall
2014-06-12, 12:06 AM
I'd say it would be a handful of copper for regular "harmless" animals' pelts (such as deer and rabbits).

Maybe CR^2 = gold piece value for exotic monster pelts? Double the number if it's rare or fashionable, halve the number if it's common. Perhaps strange pelts might see use as magic reagents, to explain why people would buy them.

I would imagine selling regular animal pelts would functionally be best represented in RAW by a Profession: Hunter check?

If I recall correctly, monsters with valuable pelts are usually listed in the monster description?

VoxRationis
2014-06-12, 12:12 AM

Fur trapping was a highly lucrative business—I'd put the value at a few silver pieces at the least. The humble, CR why bother? beaver was extirpated in many areas due to the high prices their furs fetched in France.

I'd have the value of the pelt be primarily based on the size and quality, with CR a secondary consideration.

Alex12
2014-06-12, 12:21 AM
One of the PHB2 feats (Trophy Collector) allows you to use Craft(taxidermy) to create trophies that you can then wear for some bonuses. Relevant rules:
Trophies have a value equal to CR*100 gp. You need to use the Craft (taxidermy) skill as usual for crafting the thing.
I think we can assume the bodies count as raw materials (though what percent of the raw materials they count as are up to you. I'd go with about half or so, personally). So the bodies are worth, at most, CR*33 gp. I'd say you could reasonably expect to get about CR*15 gp for the skin. That's probably the closest you're going to get to a RAW answer.
You might also take into account how messily the creature was killed (and thus the condition of the pelt), and probably a skill check of some sort (Survival seems like a good match for this) to see how well you skin the creature.

The last time it came up in our group, we basically handled corpse-harvesting by doing a single Survival check and taking the result as the gp worth of assorted parts you managed to harvest, without getting into detail of what those parts were, and just handwave selling them as something that just happened automatically once everyone got back to town.