PDA

View Full Version : So I joined the military!

Nilehus
2014-06-12, 02:10 AM
Hello! I've been trying to join the military since... December or so, and I just got my ship date for basic. (This is United States military, by the way.)

September 25, for Air Traffic Control in the USAF. I'm excited! It sounds demanding, but it should be interesting.

In the few months I have to wait, I've resolved to get in shape and quit the whole smoking thing. Typically not a good thing to do when trying to do endurance training.

So, I figured I'd try to get into this community a bit more, since you all seem like decent people. :) Been a lurker for the most part, but aside from a few people, a good community. So if anyone has any advice, tips, pointers on any of the above, I would definitely appreciate it.

At the moment, my 1.5 mile time is 14:30. Minimum pass time is 11:58 I believe. I have to cut at least a minute off each month. I try to go on two runs a day. One in the morning with my wife and child, where I push my daughter in the stroller. About 1.2 miles. One at night, just me, getting to cut loose more. About 2.5 miles.

Pushups and sit ups are good, but I will be working until then. After all, passing is good, not having to try to pass is better. 42 pushups and 47 sit ups in one minute.

Smoking... Been working myself down to half a pack a day for the last few months. Tomorrow marks the big step, from 10 to 0. I've got a huge bag of dumdums to ease the transition hopefully.

Like I said, any advice on any of this would be appreciated. Too much running, not enough, your experiences with basic training, a good luck to quit smoking... All input is appreciated. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Lord Shardok
2014-06-12, 02:17 AM
As far as getting in shape, you're doing a great job. Make sure you eat proteins after working out. I would recommend switching to the E-cigs to help ween yourself off of cigarettes. All they are is nicotine (which by itself is no more harmful than caffene) and water vapor. For most the habit is usually harder to break than the addiction. Good luck in your new career. :smallbiggrin:

Nilehus
2014-06-12, 12:22 PM
Thank you! :smallsmile: Just got done with my morning run. Gotta love how excited my daughter gets when we start moving.

Thankfully, I found my old vapor pen this morning. If I have to, I know it's there at least.

Kesnit
2014-06-12, 12:30 PM
What worked for me was switching up run distance and speed. Intersperse long, slow runs with shorter, faster runs. Also do interval training (jog, run, jog, run).

Lentrax
2014-06-12, 04:12 PM
As a former Airman myself, welcome to the Air Force!

I wish you luck with ATC training. It is a very high stress job, and while I was in tech training for my job, I met quite a few folks who washed out. Some of them during their last weeks of training.

As for training, I was never really fit. I scored well enough after tech school to pass the evals. All I can say is good luck.

Nilehus
2014-06-12, 07:23 PM
Thank you! That's what I hear. Very stressful tech school, the first 6 months on base is even worse, but if you can pull through all that, you've got a good career ahead of you. :smallsmile: As long as I can take care of my wife and kid, I'm happy.

Just gotta remember... One hour studying for every hour in class. If I can keep on top of it, it'll go a lot smoother.

Starwulf
2014-06-14, 01:43 AM
snip

Wait..how old are you? You mention having a wife and a child, so unless you started really early(which is quite possible) I'm guessing 21 or older? If so, there might be a different standard for your PT tests, I know in the Regular Army, It was like 18-23, 23-29, and then 30+, each tier had their own requirements for what they needed to be able to do in terms of physical prowess.

Definitely quit smoking, that was a big one for me, it took until the very end of basic and then some(I actually had to do 2 weeks extra because I couldn't pass my run time ><) before I was able to keep my breathing under control enough to keep a steady pace to pass my run time.

Push-ups and stuff aren't nearly as difficult, I was capable of passing that by week 3, and I had no physical prowess to speak of before the army, the most exercise I got was on weekends when my best friend would come up and we'd go out and explore the mountain. I never lifted weights or anything. Sit-Ups are the same, just even easier, I passed the req for them the first PT test we had, my guess is stomach muscles are the first to start to develop or something. It's really just the run that's the hardest, especially if you're a smoker.

Start getting up early and going to bed early as well, in basic it was lights out at 8:30, and up at 3:30 most mornings, at least in the beginning. Eventually moved to 9:00 and 4:30 near the end, but they will switch it back when you're doing qualifying for riflemanship. Oh, make sure you buy a pair of shower sandals, otherwise you're going to get a horrible foot infection(I knew several guys who did). If you have issues with showering in front of others(I did), you SHOULD be able to sacrifice a bit of sleep time and sign out with whoever is on night watch of the barracks and go take a shower by yourself, that's what I did every night. Showering IS A MUST. You will get a blanket party if you don't, my unit gave out two to separate guys who refused to shower regularly and stunk the whole barracks up. Don't listen the Drill Sergeants who say "Blanket Parties no longer happen in the military, we do not allow or condone that kind of behavior", my Drill Sergeants gave the same crap speech, but they certainly never did a thing about it when it happened to those two guys, and one of the Drill Sergeants had even subtly suggested it when he got a whiff of the one dude.

Final thing: Military food IS AWESOME. Don't let people tell you otherwise. I heard so many different stories of how bad it was from so many different people(all people who had never been in), but it was quite good. Only thing is, you really need to get used to eating fast, at least for the first few weeks of basic. First 3 weeks of basic we had 2 minutes from the time we sat down with our tray, to be done and formed up outside of the mess hall. It'll go up to 5 minutes after that, if you're lucky, but it won't increase past that.

Lentrax
2014-06-14, 08:23 AM
Those buttons don't push themselves, you know. :smallwink:

Frozen_Feet
2014-06-14, 08:36 AM
Pffft. In America maybe.

In Finland, the food you get in garrisons is pretty great.

The food you get at camps... not so much. Everything's just carbohydrates with undisclosed source of protein (=stew). Iron rations are an improvement over that. At least they taste like preservatives, which is better than tasting like nothing.

On the other hand - considering how increasing amounts of young people live with energy drinks and microwave foods, it's hard for military food to not be an improvement over that.

Nilehus
2014-06-14, 11:16 AM
Pffft. In America maybe.

Also, I thought the OP said he was joining the military. Chair force doesn't count! :smallwink: (seriously though, be prepared for inter-service "banter").

Those buttons don't push themselves, you know. :smallwink:

Pfft. Better Chair Force than one of the Misguided Children, or the wannabe marines. Or the Navy. :smallwink:

My brother-in-law gave me some great advice for basic! Always respond when the DI speaks, be alpha as hell, and let them know I'm not taking any of their crap. He's always looking out for me.

Starwulf: Good to know. Thank you! Lots of little things I wouldn't have thought of there... I'm not too worried about basic, it's more the adjustment period away from my wife and kid that'll suck. Still, I'm a little more prepared now. :smallsmile:

Lentrax
2014-06-14, 03:31 PM
You want to get them used to the fact you may have to come home, just to leave without even really saying goodbye?.

Leave a bag near the door where you stow gear.

Tell your family, "This is my go bag. If I come home and grab this I won't be home tonight.' As time goes on, different bags will show up in the same location. Just make sure everyone knows it is your 'go bag spot.)

In your bag, you can cram in the small bag your family will fill up there.

And always. Always have a "home bag" a list of stuff youre gonna do when you get home. Things you will do with the kids, with the wife.

It's a small game to play with the children, bit make sure your wife knows what it does for the kids to be able to support dad. Male it missions of their own. Get our set of pictures of the pool party to the go bag without being caught... Things like that.

Siosilvar
2014-06-14, 03:46 PM
Or the Navy. :smallwink:

u wot m8

Haha, my father's in the Navy and his dad was in the Air Force. I've got no plans to join the service myself, but I have nothing but respect for those who do, especially those who end up deploying away from their families. Good luck!

Starwulf
2014-06-14, 05:01 PM
My brother-in-law gave me some great advice for basic! Always respond when the DI speaks, be alpha as hell, and let them know I'm not taking any of their crap. He's always looking out for me.
:

Hmm, I'll agree with being Alpha and responding immediately and loudly, but don't EVER give the DI the impression that you won't take their crap. They are specifically there to beat any disobedience out of you. If you give them the impression that you are bucking up to them/not willing to take whatever they throw at you, you are in for an absolutely miserable time. Worse comes to worse, they'll give you an article 15 for disobedience, 3 of which results in a dishonorable discharge. The Alpha bit is just for your fellow soldiers, sometimes people get a bit wonky during Basic and will try to force others to do stuff for them(not like that you perverts!).

Seriously, don't buck up to the DI's unless you want to be out of the military before you even make it in there.

Nilehus
2014-06-14, 05:11 PM
That part, I know. :smalltongue: He's trying to make sure I do pushups the entire 8.5 weeks I'm there, I think.

Confident, but not a pain in the ass sound right?

Starwulf
2014-06-14, 07:13 PM
That part, I know. :smalltongue: He's trying to make sure I do pushups the entire 8.5 weeks I'm there, I think.

Confident, but not a pain in the ass sound right?

Exactly! Don't be a kiss-ass or you'll piss the other recruits off, but being confident, and good at what you're doing, will likely earn you a "fake" promotion as squad leader, or even platoon leader. Not so much fake though, all the platoon leaders in my basic training were given actual promotions to the next rank at the end of basic, and 1/4(so about 5) of the squad leaders were as well. Gotta have leadership capabilities though as well, not just confidence and athleticism.

Nilehus
2014-06-14, 07:50 PM
Lentrax: That sounds like a good idea... My daughter's a bit young to play that sort of game, but in a couple years, I'm sure she'll love to. Especially with ATC, you can get pulled for temp duty fairly often, I hear.

u wot m8

Haha, my father's in the Navy and his dad was in the Air Force. I've got no plans to join the service myself, but I have nothing but respect for those who do, especially those who end up deploying away from their families. Good luck!

Army parents, Navy friends, Marine brother in law. Felt like I had to round out the collection. :smallsmile:

My brother in law in particular has not stopped giving me crap since he found out. It's all good fun though.

Asta Kask
2014-06-15, 05:49 AM
Army parents, Navy friends, Marine brother in law. Felt like I had to round out the collection. :smallsmile:

My brother in law in particular has not stopped giving me crap since he found out. It's all good fun though.

Who'll join the Coast Guard? Your wife?

Nilehus
2014-06-15, 11:09 PM
Um... Now she has to! Honestly, though, I just forgot. I've lived 1500 miles inland my entire life, the Coast Guard just slipped my mind. And when I went in for processing, there was no one there for Coast Guard. At all. Their office looked deserted. :smallconfused:

Well, now I've gotta make a Coast Guard friend or something. Darn.

Brother Oni
2014-06-16, 06:30 AM

Get one of your Navy friends to remind your brother in law what Marines stand for:

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Sir

:smalltongue:

Um... Now she has to! Honestly, though, I just forgot. I've lived 1500 miles inland my entire life, the Coast Guard just slipped my mind. And when I went in for processing, there was no one there for Coast Guard. At all. Their office looked deserted. :smallconfused:

Everybody forgets the Coasties, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :smalltongue:

Nilehus
2014-06-16, 11:29 PM
Geez. Using Navy equipment, answering to the Department of the Navy... Next time he gives me crap, I'll just ask him what the difference is. :smallsmile:

If I don't come back, just know it was worth it.

SiuiS
2014-06-17, 12:18 AM
Respect.

No idea if it's right for you, but smoking? Quit cold turkey. Just get it all over and done with. Same with caffeine if you can; not a habit you want there either.

I don't have any advice on getting better, other than it never gets easier, you get stronger. Don't get discouraged! Doing way more than passing will still be hard – it is exertion after all. But you can rise to the challenge!

Asta Kask
2014-06-17, 10:26 AM

Well, now I've gotta make a Coast Guard friend or something. Darn.

Or you could hope for your daughter.

Jonzac
2014-06-17, 01:38 PM
Lt Col in Air Force here.

1. Your ATC...you will deploy. Prepare your wife and her family now.
2. Boot camp will change you, but not be OMFG difficult. Just pay attention to what the TI (Air Force) says.
3. When you get out of Tech School, get ready...you have at least another year of on the job training to accomplish....then you will deploy.
4. When you get to your first base your going to want to spend all the them NOT at work with your family...PLEASE PLEASE volunteer some with your squadron. You'll be in OSS which is run by pilots/aircrew. They've have BBQs, fundraisers and such. Volunteer at least once a quarter...I was commander and those Airmen are easy to spot and generally are a cut above (of course this assumes your actually good at your job, that is first...the other stuff is just a way to seperate you from the other Airmen who sits in the dorm on the XBOX after work.
5. If you want to work ATC in civilian world, be ready to leave the Air Force after a while....there is an age limit for new controllers the FAA has to follow...sounds like your a bit older than normal so this might be a problem if you want to stay 20 and retire THEN go work civilian ATC.

Good Luck. Its worthwhile

Lentrax
2014-06-17, 03:25 PM
I'd like to add on to what the colonel said, from the pov of an enlisted airman.

Basically what he said about volunteering. It is a good way to let your squadronmates get to know you. And you don't have to overdo it either. If you can grill pretty well, offer to help out with that. If you play a mean game of ultimate frisbee, organize it. No one will say you can't, and you'll usually get more people turning out than you figured. Heck, I was invited to a patio party at the apartment of one of my flightmates. Turned into a backyard barbecue with half the squadron. I was one of the guys that went home after my shift ended. (Though having a disabled child meant they didn't look too harshly on not volunteering much.)

I am sure for you it was vastly different, but for me, the life I had before I joined... I am glad I served.

The job I did. The planes I've kept in the air, the bombs my work was able to get on target.

My flight was the family I never had. They stood up for me when my in-laws family was trying to get me disgraced. They pulled me up. Kept me going. Not sure where you are going to end up, but I hope it's a good bunch of people who look out for each other. The right group of people, can make even a crap job worth it.

And Colonel, you sound like one of the few officers I have had the pleasure of meeting who seem to actually give a crap about those under them. Thank you for that, sir. My experience led me to believe they were few and far between.

Nilehus
2014-06-17, 04:15 PM
Lt Col in Air Force here.

1. Your ATC...you will deploy. Prepare your wife and her family. Boot camp will change you, but not be OMFG difficult. Just pay attention to what the TI (Air Force) says.
3. When you get out of Tech School, get ready...you have at least another year of on the job training to accomplish....then you will deploy.
4. When you get to your first base your going to want to spend all the them NOT at work with your family...PLEASE PLEASE volunteer some with your squadron. You'll be in OSS which is run by pilots/aircrew. They've have BBQs, fundraisers and such. Volunteer at least once a quarter...I was commander and those Airmen are easy to spot and generally are a cut above (of course this assumes your actually good at your job, that is first...the other stuff is just a way to seperate you from the other Airmen who sits in the dorm on the XBOX after work.
5. If you want to work ATC in civilian world, be ready to leave the Air Force after a while....there is an age limit for new controllers the FAA has to follow...sounds like your a bit older than normal so this might be a problem if you want to stay 20 and retire THEN go work civilian ATC.

Good Luck. Its worthwhile

Thank you. I've already got my wife taken care of when I leave. She's going to take the second half of a mutual friend's house. $400 a month, all utilities included, she likes living with the friend. :smallsmile: One small thing I don't have to worry about, at least.

I do tend to be more of an introvert, so thanks for telling me all that, sincerely. I do not want to be one of those people that just sinks under the radar. My parents still keep in touch with the people they served with, and that was 20 years ago. That's what I want, that kind of bond.

I'm looking forward to basic and tech school, honestly. Basic is tough, tech school is hard, and on the job training is even harder from what I hear. I'm going to do a hell of a job, though.

I'm looking at the civilian requirements, and I'll just make it before the age cutoff, if I serve all 8 years, including reserve. I'm 23, 24 in December, so I will barely squeak by. I'm going to serve my country and give it my all for 6-8 years, then I'll see where it goes from there. After all, I'm not serving just to get the qualifications and all that. I wasn't even expecting ATC, my processors just recommended I put it down based on my scores and all that.

Nilehus
2014-06-17, 04:43 PM
Ask him from me personally what it feels like to be a part of the world's second best corps of marines. :smalltongue:

Ha! Who should I tell him is asking?

Traab
2014-06-17, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to confirm, air force basic food is freaking awesome. There is a lot of it, plenty of choices, and aside from not being given enough time to really taste it, its all good. Basic training was a snap physically for me personally, though it seemed every day another guy would collapse during the morning workouts and get carted off in an ambulance. But seriously, if you cant handle air force physical training, there isnt much hope for you. Drink lots of water. Seriously, they are really big on that there, and its for a damn good reason. I dont care that you get like three cups of drinks with every meal, if you arent also draining multiple canteens of water during the day, you arent drinking enough. (This may just apply to me since I went to lackland in june during a heat wave, not a single day under 90, freaking yay.) But yeah, drink up me hearties, yo ho!

*EDIT* About the physical training, I accidentally cut off my post. I had to lose 60 pounds to join the air force. It took me 6 months of diet and exercise, and right off the bat I was able to handle the physical training. So thats why I say, if you cant handle air force pt, serving in the military should be included with other dream jobs like ninja turtle.

Nilehus
2014-06-17, 05:02 PM
Running is only a pain for me because of the whole smoking thing. When I was in high school, I could pull a 7 minute mile and not be completely drained afterwards. Just haveto get back to that. :smallsmile: Suppose I should get started on the water thing now, huh?

I do not mind going to Texas in October/November. Hopefully means I skip most of the three digit temperature days.

Edit: Wait, ninja turtle is an option?!

Traab
2014-06-17, 08:34 PM
Running is only a pain for me because of the whole smoking thing. When I was in high school, I could pull a 7 minute mile and not be completely drained afterwards. Just haveto get back to that. :smallsmile: Suppose I should get started on the water thing now, huh?

I do not mind going to Texas in October/November. Hopefully means I skip most of the three digit temperature days.

Edit: Wait, ninja turtle is an option?!

Just as much as joining the military if you cant even handle air force basic training. :smallbiggrin: I will admit the smoking thing may be trouble, thats gotta screw with your breathing, which is pretty much the most important part of running any real distance. For me the problem was always pushups. I freaking suck at them, always have. I can run for miles and be fine 5 minutes later, but ask me to do 30 pushups and I struggle.

As for the temp, yeah, it was actually kinda funny. See, they have rules about what can and cant be done depending on how hot it is. They LIE. Oh god do they ever lie. I got pneumonia during basic and was in the hospital for a week. I saw the previous weeks forecast, and there were three days above 100, 4 in the mid 90s. They never put up the right flags for the temp, you arent supposed to be doing pretty much anything heavy physically when its 100+ degrees out. I think officially we only had like 3 black flag days, even though there were probably 12 or more. Its understandable of course, I mean, they would basically have to shut down the basic training from may-august if they actually followed the temp rules that year. Its just not worth it to try and train in texas in that summer.

Chambers
2014-06-17, 08:56 PM
The only Air Force guys I knew while I was in the Army (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlXXsb2LC-E) were loadmasters and C-130 mechanics. :smallwink:

Good luck though, and keep running (http://images.marketworks.com/hi/62/61530/A-G21-A391.jpg).

/82nd Signal Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division (02-06, OIF I)
//Not my video

Jonzac
2014-06-18, 08:47 AM
I'd like to add on to what the colonel said, from the pov of an enlisted airman.

Basically what he said about volunteering. It is a good way to let your squadronmates get to know you. And you don't have to overdo it either. If you can grill pretty well, offer to help out with that. If you play a mean game of ultimate frisbee, organize it. No one will say you can't, and you'll usually get more people turning out than you figured. Heck, I was invited to a patio party at the apartment of one of my flightmates. Turned into a backyard barbecue with half the squadron. I was one of the guys that went home after my shift ended. (Though having a disabled child meant they didn't look too harshly on not volunteering much.)

I am sure for you it was vastly different, but for me, the life I had before I joined... I am glad I served.

The job I did. The planes I've kept in the air, the bombs my work was able to get on target.

My flight was the family I never had. They stood up for me when my in-laws family was trying to get me disgraced. They pulled me up. Kept me going. Not sure where you are going to end up, but I hope it's a good bunch of people who look out for each other. The right group of people, can make even a crap job worth it.

And Colonel, you sound like one of the few officers I have had the pleasure of meeting who seem to actually give a crap about those under them. Thank you for that, sir. My experience led me to believe they were few and far between.

Thanks for that. Were you a loader, AMMO or flight line? I've been lucky enough to command both a CMS and a MUNS...thank God I wasn't a Personnelist.

Lentrax
2014-06-18, 09:18 AM
Actually I was a Turboprop Mechanic. I worked in the engine shop, turning wrenches.

Jonzac
2014-06-18, 12:54 PM
Worked those on EC-130s at Davis-Monthan back in the late 90's.

130's were a blast!

Lentrax
2014-06-18, 04:07 PM
I was stationed out at Rammstein. Did most of my wok in the Hush House, since the Germans have some very strict noise regulations.

Nilehus
2014-09-16, 07:16 PM
It's time... Exactly one week from today, I'll be in Texas getting yelled at.

I can make the minimum physical standards (besides running) easy. I can run at a good pace for half an hour straight, just need to shave another minute or two off my time. And with two months of enforced running every other day and enforced smoking ban, that'll be easy. My family has everything they'll need to get by until they get the first check. I am READY.

Anyone have any last minute advice for Basic? Namely, something that'll help me calm down a bit? I'm a little bit nervous.

Grinner
2014-09-16, 07:36 PM
Anyone have any last minute advice for Basic? Namely, something that'll help me calm down a bit? I'm a little bit nervous.

Godspeed..

SiuiS
2014-09-16, 08:21 PM
From experience, the discomfort that causes you to fear is just that; discomfort. You are unlikely to actually be dying or in any real danger. Your mind is conditioned to tell your body about every little thing wrong, but the purpose of basic is to teach you that every little thing isn't a problem and a lot of things you think might be big are actually little. A lot of stuff that might make you drag out and quit is stuff that, in hindsight, you'll know you should have been able to handle.

Defeat starts in the mind. Don't let let over sensitive software tell you that your industrial grade hardware can't stand a few scuffs.

Crow
2014-09-16, 08:33 PM

Don't forget, they want you to succeed. Even if they say otherwise.

Kymme
2014-09-16, 08:49 PM

You can do it. And thank you, you brave, brave human being.

Tono
2014-09-16, 09:09 PM
Not Air Force myself, but I would say the biggest thing I learned in Basic was to just chill out. Take it easy and to not stress. I did worse when I worried about how I would do and the consequences of failing then I did when I just said screw it and did what ever I needed to do. Don't worry about stress that much. Just go in there and do what needs to be done. (When you go to ATC for your training this may be the most important thing you can do. By what I am told it is one of the harder and more stressful schools/job. But you can take that job for a good bit of money. When you get out or when you re-up.)

Haven't been in San Antonio, but central and western Texas suck in the winter at night. When you first get there. Not expecting much cold then BAM its 30 degrees and you want to kill what ever officer thought he would be extra hoah and have every one in summers for PT.

Also, yea. In my experience Air Force food is awesome, spent 6 months on an Air Force base. But then again I would take an MRE over my BTNs dfac some days. When its open.

Eurus
2014-09-16, 09:17 PM
I just finished Navy boot camp a few months ago, and it's really not that bad. It helps a lot if you know you can pass the running and whatnot before you get in, because you may not get as much practice while you're there as you expect. If it's like navy boot camp, you'll have at least a week or two of various paperwork and medical stuff before you're medically cleared and can PT at all. A bunch of people in my division hated that, heh. Other than that, it's all a mental game. Try not to panic, because basic will its best to stress you out. That's pretty much half of what basic is, it just cranks up the stress to make sure you're not going to freak out or snap. Depending on your instructors, they may or may not turn out to actually be fairly decent people; my chief talked to a few people who were really having trouble and helped get them back in the game, but she was a holy terror to everyone else.

Also, everyone lies. Just a fair warning. It goes back to that messing-with-your-head thing. Don't get too worked up over whatever dire things they threaten, or if they tell you guys that you all suck and you're failing everything. Unless you really are failing everything. Then worry. :smallamused:

Nilehus
2014-09-16, 09:27 PM
Godspeed..

Thank you. :smallsmile:

From experience, the discomfort that causes you to fear is just that; discomfort. You are unlikely to actually be dying or in any real danger. Your mind is conditioned to tell your body about every little thing wrong, but the purpose of basic is to teach you that every little thing isn't a problem and a lot of things you think might be big are actually little. A lot of stuff that might make you drag out and quit is stuff that, in hindsight, you'll know you should have been able to handle.

Defeat starts in the mind. Don't let let over sensitive software tell you that your industrial grade hardware can't stand a few scuffs.

That's right. I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration...

I'm expecting one hell of a culture shock, but once I get acclimated, it'll be fine. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even have a little fun when the MTI isn't looking. :smallwink:

Don't forget, they want you to succeed. Even if they say otherwise.

That's... true. I suppose it looks just as bad on them if they actually break a recruit as it does on the recruit.

You can do it. And thank you, you brave, brave human being.

Thank you. Even if I am going Chair Force, I appreciate it. :smallbiggrin: I do feel like I'm not as 'real' as, for example, my brother-in-law. Ex-Marine, served in Afghanistan. Still, I'm doing my part.

Not Air Force myself, but I would say the biggest thing I learned in Basic was to just chill out. Take it easy and to not stress. I did worse when I worried about how I would do and the consequences of failing then I did when I just said screw it and did what ever I needed to do. Don't worry about stress that much. Just go in there and do what needs to be done. (When you go to ATC for your training this may be the most important thing you can do. By what I am told it is one of the harder and more stressful schools/job. But you can take that job for a good bit of money. When you get out or when you re-up.)

Haven't been in San Antonio, but central and western Texas suck in the winter at night. When you first get there. Not expecting much cold then BAM its 30 degrees and you want to kill what ever officer thought he would be extra hoah and have every one in summers for PT.

Also, yea. In my experience Air Force food is awesome, spent 6 months on an Air Force base. But then again I would take an MRE over my BTNs dfac some days. When its open.

That's what I hear about ATC school. By month 4, you can tell which ones are ATC; they're the ones that look like zombies. From what I've looked up, ATC is definitely a good field in terms of after-enlistment options. FAA absolutely loves ex-AF ATC's that have a good record. And the pay is very decent.

Just have to remember... Stress is going to be a part of it. No point heaping any more on than is necessary. :smallsmile: Thanks again.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-09-16, 09:36 PM
I've heard that Navy and Air Force basic are physically easier than Army and Marine. Still a lot, but not all the endurance runs carrying heavy loads and such.

But as for being chair force, I know a guy who was in marines during Iraq and was always in the base watching fighter patrols fly around. :smalltongue:

Seerow
2014-09-16, 09:59 PM
I've heard that Navy and Air Force basic are physically easier than Army and Marine. Still a lot, but not all the endurance runs carrying heavy loads and such.

But as for being chair force, I know a guy who was in marines during Iraq and was always in the base watching fighter patrols fly around. :smalltongue:

Just anecdotally, my best friend went into the air force rail thin, skinniest guy you could know. When he got out 4 years later, he had put on over 100 pounds. Apparently once he got out of basic the standards fell dramatically.

Nilehus
2014-09-16, 10:16 PM
Eh, I plan to get in damn good shape at basic. I've already memorized 90% of the little book (Airman's oath, insignia ranks, marching terminology, etc) so hopefully I've got a step up.

I weigh 130 pounds on a good day and I'm 5'7", so it's not going to be that hard to put on some muscle.

Iruka
2014-09-17, 02:56 AM
Good luck with your start next week. :smallsmile:

I was stationed out at Rammstein. Did most of my wok in the Hush House, since the Germans have some very strict noise regulations.

They are a great band. :smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2014-09-17, 03:24 AM

Ha!

And yeah, the whole Fear thing... I did iron work for a very short while. I couldn't hack it because I was stupid – no food, no sleep, and now my back is probably screwed for life – but I gave up mentally before my body did, and I know that in hindsight and it will probably always haunt me. Basically, don't stress, recognize that everything has a positive purpose, and get'er done. You got this. :smallsmile:

JustSomeGuy
2014-09-17, 03:44 AM
Remember 2 things:

- it's never personal; some days, despite how hard you've tried, you'll get everything ripped apart. That's just part of the process, go with it. Don't look at stuff like 'tasks to be completed' and get downhearted when you have to do them over, instead just see it as a continual process, in which you'll always be doing something anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you are having to redo something, because you'd only be doing something else equally/more bone otherwise. Laugh it off (inside, doesn't go down well to laugh in the instuctors' faces)

- however hard it seems, know that years from then you'll be looking back and laughing at yourself, and how you found something so simple so hard.

Traab
2014-09-17, 09:02 AM
It's time... Exactly one week from today, I'll be in Texas getting yelled at.

I can make the minimum physical standards (besides running) easy. I can run at a good pace for half an hour straight, just need to shave another minute or two off my time. And with two months of enforced running every other day and enforced smoking ban, that'll be easy. My family has everything they'll need to get by until they get the first check. I am READY.

Dont take it personal, and never let them see you smile. There will be a lot of early on yelling going on to drum the first bits of info into you, but its not that bad really. Keep your mouth shut unless ordered to speak, dont volunteer (unless they ask if you can play trumpet or drums and you can) Justsome covered it. They WILL be tearing at you at some point or another, its a part of the process so dont let your feelings be hurt. When they tell you you screwed up, say yes sir, do it again, and keep doing it till they get bored. You dont actually suck, its just how they roll.

Bottom line, do what they say, and try not to draw attention to yourself by being first or last. It serves no purpose and generally ends badly. There will be traps, so keep your ears open, they arent hard to spot. "Am I going too hard on you boys?" The answer of course is either silence or no sir. I dont care if you are three steps from losing every meal you ever ate, the answer is basically yes sir thank you sir may i have another. (dont say that out loud) Those questions or situations exist for the sole purpose of embarrassing anyone dumb enough to fall for them. Basically, take a second to think about your response first.

Asta Kask
2014-09-17, 09:12 AM
Short flying lesson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFb5-2hHddc

Kesnit
2014-09-17, 09:43 AM
Eh, I plan to get in damn good shape at basic. I've already memorized 90% of the little book (Airman's oath, insignia ranks, marching terminology, etc) so hopefully I've got a step up.

That is an advantage. When I went to Navy OCS, I knew all the required knowledge beforehand, and it helped. It was one less thing I had to learn while I was there.

- it's never personal;

This. I don't want to say you are just a number, but remember that the DI's (or whatever the AF calls them) train a lot of people throughout the year. Unless you do something extremely memorable, you won't become the "stuff of legend."

Find a way to laugh. Early on, I had two matras: (1) "If these are the best of the Marine Corps, the Corps is in a lot of trouble"* and (2) "When this is over, this (insert term here) has to salute me!" The first isn't accurate, and the second was just motivation. But whenever the harassment got bad (usually from sudden imposition of PT), I'd repeat them in my head, which would stop me thinking about how much my arms hurt/how tired I was/how much sweat was in my eyes/etc.

*Navy Officer Candidates are trained by Marine Corps DI's.

Also remember that it's their job to get you through. A trainee's failure looks bad on them. They do want you to succeed, if you want yourself to succeed. Of course, that second part is required. You have to want to be there.

One lesson I learned... HYDRATE! Early on, I was afraid of drinking too much water and needing to go to the bathroom at a bad time. (Or having to ask to go to the bathroom.) Instead, I didn't drink enough. This led (in my 5th or 6th week) to me approaching a DI after PT, rambling incoherently, and falling unconscious at his feet from extreme dehydration. (I was told later about approaching the DI and rambling. I never remembered that. Though people who saw me said the whole scene was rather dramatic! :smallredface:)

Lentrax
2014-09-17, 03:18 PM
They are going to be hard. They are going to push you. Do what you can. Keep your head down.

Oh, and if you ever, ever hear a TI ask if they smell gas, do not question it. Start the gas leak drill.

Enjoy the food when you can, try not to be the first one at the table to finish your tray.

Don't fall asleep on CQ duty.

Be prepared for early rising, late to bed.

Pay attention to how to fold your bed, and your clothes.

Help your flightmates, you need them to succeed.

Good luck, Airman. Godspeed.

And welcome to the World's Best Air Force.

(Oh, and enjoy making sure Texas doesn't fly off into the stratosphere.)

Nilehus
2014-09-18, 01:01 AM
Thank you. I'll do my service proud. :smallsmile:

And don't worry, I'll make sure she stays in place. No matter how many times a day I have to push her back down. :smallwink:

SiuiS
2014-09-18, 02:03 AM
Find a way to laugh. Early on, I had two matras: (1) "If these are the best of the Marine Corps, the Corps is in a lot of trouble"* and (2) "When this is over, this (insert term here) has to salute me!" The first isn't accurate, and the second was just motivation. But whenever the harassment got bad (usually from sudden imposition of PT), I'd repeat them in my head, which would stop me thinking about how much my arms hurt/how tired I was/how much sweat was in my eyes/etc.

*Navy Officer Candidates are trained by Marine Corps DI's.

Also remember that it's their job to get you through. A trainee's failure looks bad on them. They do want you to succeed, if you want yourself to succeed. Of course, that second part is required. You have to want to be there.

One lesson I learned... HYDRATE! Early on, I was afraid of drinking too much water and needing to go to the bathroom at a bad time. (Or having to ask to go to the bathroom.) Instead, I didn't drink enough. This led (in my 5th or 6th week) to me approaching a DI after PT, rambling incoherently, and falling unconscious at his feet from extreme dehydration. (I was told later about approaching the DI and rambling. I never remembered that. Though people who saw me said the whole scene was rather dramatic! :smallredface:)

Oh, my. You are a marine? I would like to hear about that in the other thread, if you would be so kind. Your situation makes that more intriguing for me.

And yes. Hydration. I found that out the, uh, "fun" way. The going rule is it takes about 24 hours for water to be available for your body to use when you drink it but only an hour to sweat it out once it's there. No idea how scientifically accurate that is (I suspect not much), but I will be darned if the people who adhered to that rule didn't beat every single other person on the job site.

Thank you. I'll do my service proud. :smallsmile:

And don't worry, I'll make sure she stays in place. No matter how many times a day I have to push her back down. :smallwink:

Brother, I salute you. Do us proud.

Brother Oni
2014-09-18, 06:21 AM
And yes. Hydration. I found that out the, uh, "fun" way. The going rule is it takes about 24 hours for water to be available for your body to use when you drink it but only an hour to sweat it out once it's there. No idea how scientifically accurate that is (I suspect not much), but I will be darned if the people who adhered to that rule didn't beat every single other person on the job site.

The ballpark figure I heard is ~20 minutes after ingestion and this paper indicates that ingested water can be found in blood plasma after only 2 minutes: Effects of Exercise Intensity on Absorption of Ingested Fluids in Man (http://ep.physoc.org/content/75/3/419.full.pdf).

It does say that the rates of absorption depends heavily on amount of exercise though and environmental factors may influence water requirements (someone who adheres to your 24 hour rule is probably going to stay well hydrated even before exertion and the resultant water loss).

Typewriter
2014-09-18, 03:28 PM
Be careful about letting on how much preparation you've done (as far as memorizing things go) - the more you know the more they'll try to push you. Your goal shouldn't be to stand out, just to do well.

You'll do fine with the fitness stuff - I went in as a lazy 18 year old who had never once worked out and was able to pass the tests by the time they came around (though it did take me a couple tries on the pushups).

They're going to try and push your buttons - they'll talk about your wife back home with your best friend, they'll talk about you getting kicked out and letting everyone down... as long as you don't majorly mess things up you'll be fine. You won't get kicked out, you won't get held back. They'll try to make you think you are, but it's harder than it might seem at times.

Keep in mind that BMT and Tech training is temporary and it is not a real indication of the rest of the Air Force. Things will seem rigid - insanely rigid. But once you get through things will get better. I will say that, for me, I had a harder time at tech school than I did at basic. Basic is forcing you to comply, tech school is about giving you just enough rope to hang yourself with.

I was the screw up of my flight. People talked about how I wasn't going to make it, I was bad at folding my shirts, I had trouble with the fitness stuff, I made mistakes, I was sick a lot, I was 'weird' (so weird apparently that at one point my flight thought I had poisoned someone), and I made it through. I am a squishy, fluffy man who had no place in the military but I kept my head down and tried and I made it. You can do it!

Nilehus
2014-09-20, 08:25 PM
Almost time! Been reading more stories online to get ready.

Gotta say, if people can go in with 15 pushups/sit-ups as their max, and unable to run a 13 minute mile, I will be just fine. I can do 50 of each in the one minute time with proper form, and I can run a 9 minute mile. After 8 weeks of busting my ass, and I do plan on busting it while I'm there even if I can technically pass now, I'll be just fine. And in darn good shape, to boot. :smallsmile:

Lentrax
2014-09-21, 02:05 PM
Jeez, if you're that good already, you just might get asked if you want to go for Pararescue training. I know a couple of folks in my flight qualified for that, and one made it past the initial eval, but I don't know if he made it into the PJs. The training they go through is pretty fricken rough.

Nilehus
2014-09-21, 03:01 PM
Probably not, sadly. I got high enough scores to qualify for it, but I do have an indentation on my chest that would probably DQ me. Thankfully, the doctor told me that I could still join, but special forces and such were probably out.

I do need to work on the endurance end. After I do that, my arms/chest/abs hurt for a while. Still, the only part I have to work on hardcore is running. Not a fan, but few things will keep you in as good overall health, and I am not going to fall back out of shape after Basic.

Lentrax
2014-09-21, 04:39 PM
Hmm. I also knew a guy named {Redacted} he was a washout from our first tech school! but since he did the second part of the training first! he was qualified to be pulled out for SERE instructor training.

There's some more hardcore AFSOC stuff you'll never see in the rank and file of the service.

SERE, btw, for those that do not know it, is Search, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. Training for not getting caught when you get shot down, and what to do after. The things they do to train us to survive...

Not pretty, I'll you that.

Nilehus
2014-09-21, 05:46 PM
I believe it. If I had gone with the other job I qualified for, Cryptologic Linguist, I would've had to train in that. I was tempted, but the ATC job shipped 6 months sooner, and I need to get my family out of this house.

Besides, that qualification doesn't go away... Might switch later in my career. According to my recruiter, who I know would never ever lie to me to get me to join, I have that option. :smallwink:

Nilehus
2014-09-21, 10:47 PM
... And now the panicing is settling in. Not sure if I forgot to mention anything, not sure if I forgot something important, not sure if they'll catch a physical flaw they missed the first time...

I need to get to basic. I have too much time to think.

Tono
2014-09-22, 06:55 PM
I believe it. If I had gone with the other job I qualified for, Cryptologic Linguist, I would've had to train in that. I was tempted, but the ATC job shipped 6 months sooner, and I need to get my family out of this house.

Besides, that qualification doesn't go away... Might switch later in my career. According to my recruiter, who I know would never ever lie to me to get me to join, I have that option. :smallwink:

You made the better job choice. Whenever a recruiter sees something like 'Crypto-' or what have you that sounds super secret hush hush they say you need all this intense training to get it and that you get all the high speed stuff. 95% of the time the recruiter aint lieing. They just dont know what they are talking about.

Nilehus
2014-09-22, 11:30 PM
It's time... I'm at the hotel, and I hit meps tomorrow.

Then it's to the airport, to San Antonio, to getting yelled at for existing.

I'm excited, and a part of me wants to stay, but 8 months is a small price to pay for making my family's life infinitely better.

Starwulf
2014-09-23, 12:17 AM

I'm excited, and a part of me wants to stay, but 8 months is a small price to pay for making my family's life infinitely better.

GET PLENTY OF REST. I can not stress that enough. From the time I woke up at the hotel, till the time I was shipped to my regular unit(there are several steps in between which I'll list shortly), I had one period where I had 0 sleep in approximately 65 hours, got 4 hours, then was up for another 60+ hours, at which point I was officially in my basic training barracks and got my first normal nights sleep.

In order, this is how it happened(for me at least): Arrive at place where I initially signed up, hop in limo to be taken to hotel. Have issue sleeping, wake up at 5, go to MEPS center, have final processing and phys eval done, get tickets for plane, or bus(whichever they send you on to your first Fort), hop in big SUV kinda vehicle to be driven to airport/bus terminal. Endure between 2-8 hours of which form of travel to get to where your going. Arrive at processing center of your basic training(this is where it gets grueling), fill out mounds and mounds of paperwork, get issued all of your regular duty gear, get measured for your Dress Uniform, have more physical examinations including your eyes and teeth(if you have a major cavity it will get fixed here, they won't let you in until it's fixed). All of that takes place over a time period of 2 1/2 days.

Once that's over you'll finally get a few hours of sleep(you get no downtime except for meals during all of that, they have a constant influx of people so they have to keep things running quickly), then you get to do more paperwork and minor PE until the cattle truck arrives to take you to a place where you get your non-standard issue equipment(rucksack, tent, canteens, etc) which takes FOREVER(literally, I swear it took about 6 hours from start to finish). Then you get driven to your main basic training barracks. Don't get mouthy in the cattle truck, everyone I've ever spoken to(and it happened to me as well) has indicated that a Drill Sergeant was in the cattle truck, disguised as a regular recruit until the very moment we arrived, at which point he drew out his hat and started busting EVERYONE that talked even the least amount of **** about BT and Drill Instructors.

Once at your regular training barracks you'll endure between 2-6 hours of grueling treatment where they basically try to break you by making you rearrange all your luggage and military equipment/clothing in proper lines and various other stuff, basically establishing their power and how worthless you are. Then you get to do a final round of paperwork, listen to several hour long lectures on standard military etiquette and other things. Once all of that is done, you'll be brought up to your barracks themselves(not just the main area where you meet) and you'll be assigned lockers, final bits of equipment unique to where you are staying, be forced to stand buck-naked in a long line of other guys while the drill sergeants shout at you to shower in under a minute, then FINALLY get to hit the sack for a normal nights of sleep. Of course, the following day is even worse, where they continue the previous days work of breaking you down, as well as several more hour long lectures, but hey! at least you finally have some decent rest at that point :)

Honestly, it sounds much worse written out like that, once you hit the 48 hour mark without sleep you basically enter a haze where your body functions on auto-pilot from then on until you get your first nights real sleep. I think my experience was maybe a bit worse then it should have been due to a torrential downpour that we had to stand in for about 6 hours(might I add, that that was one of only 2 times it actually rained at Fort Sill during my entire time there). Being soaked and absolutely out of it does tend to make one miserable.

Edit: Wow, I think I wrote a mini-novel there.

SiuiS
2014-09-23, 12:19 AM
Hmm. I also knew a guy named {Redacted} he was a washout from our first tech school! but since he did the second part of the training first! he was qualified to be pulled out for SERE instructor training.

There's some more hardcore AFSOC stuff you'll never see in the rank and file of the service.

SERE, btw, for those that do not know it, is Search, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. Training for not getting caught when you get shot down, and what to do after. The things they do to train us to survive...

Not pretty, I'll you that.

Have a mate who's going in for that as soon as he drops some weight. Although I believe he has a solid idea of the inhumanities involved... Maybe.

... And now the panicing is settling in. Not sure if I forgot to mention anything, not sure if I forgot something important, not sure if they'll catch a physical flaw they missed the first time...

I need to get to basic. I have too much time to think.

You'll be fine, mate. Go get 'em. :smallsmile:

JustSomeGuy
2014-09-23, 07:22 AM
If there is a chance of a 'secret instructor' on the transport, i'd be very hard-pushed not to throw out some shenannigans; stuff like wondering out loud if anyone else has a secret fetish to put stuff in his [imagination] or how you'll be thinking of him [imagination] while he's in your face shouting at you. Just to put them on the back foot and try and make them uncomfortable in the situation, and so they have a new story to tell in their fairly monotonous post. Just remember to fess up at a later date, or to some other instructors!

Btw, I wouldn't reccomend actually doing this, unless you can pull off the jokey personality, and don't mind suffering for it. Half of military life is 'crazy stories' though, so why not start early?

Crow
2014-10-06, 04:07 AM
Probably not, sadly. I got high enough scores to qualify for it, but I do have an indentation on my chest that would probably DQ me. Thankfully, the doctor told me that I could still join, but special forces and such were probably out.

That won't DQ you. Not that you'll see this now anyways.

But don't do it. The majority of the applicants ARE NOT physically prepared when they show up. The minimum reqs are just that.

Brother Oni
2014-10-06, 06:37 AM
That won't DQ you. Not that you'll see this now anyways.

Out of curiosity, how long are recruits kept isolated under the US system to help acclimatization to military culture?

Crow
2014-10-06, 12:29 PM
I don't know. We got our first phone call around the two week mark.

Lentrax
2014-10-06, 03:51 PM
I believe mine was at the first weekend mark, a chance to send home for incidentals and other necessities that were out at the base since we were the training flight over the holiday season.

Granted, I also had a lot of other freedoms most other trainees would not ordinarily get.

For example, I was able to send out the flights mail on a regular basis, since I had mailbox access to request documentation necessary for my security clearance.

I was also at one point a reserve officer candidate back in college, so I had the relatively easy assignment of shaping up everyone's dress uniforms, making em shine and stuff.

In all reality, basic is about keeping your head out of the line of fire long enough that by the time they do notice you, they've gone through all the **** in the barrel. Meaning you'd be fine, long as you don't screw up.

Starwulf
2014-10-06, 09:20 PM
I don't know. We got our first phone call around the two week mark.

Yeah, I'd say the same for me and my group. I can still remember it so clearly too, there were exactly 5 phones that we had access to, and nearly EVERYONE was lined up waiting to use them, we were allowed exactly 3 minutes for our phone call. In subsequent weeks though, we were allowed to go down when we wanted on Sunday, and as long as there was another phone open you were allowed to talk to your family for as long as you wanted, or make as many phone calls as you wanted.

SiuiS
2014-10-07, 01:29 AM
I remember that topic comes up a lot.

From memory, it's a purposeful concession. As hard as the instructors are on recruits, they are doing it not just for the recruits, but themselves; the ideal army trains a fraternity of equals forged in respect and knowledge. Once the basics of "I am going to show you how much of your weakness is in your mind, and help you burn the rest away with Willpower" is in place, compassion and respect for emotional integrity come up. Talking to your family is good because it grounds you; they need you to know why you're doing all this.

Asta Kask
2014-10-08, 01:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

The ultimate training montage!

Atsull
2014-10-10, 04:15 PM
Hello! I've been trying to join the military since... December or so, and I just got my ship date for basic. (This is United States military, by the way.)

September 25, for Air Traffic Control in the USAF. I'm excited! It sounds demanding, but it should be interesting.

In the few months I have to wait, I've resolved to get in shape and quit the whole smoking thing. Typically not a good thing to do when trying to do endurance training.

So, I figured I'd try to get into this community a bit more, since you all seem like decent people. :) Been a lurker for the most part, but aside from a few people, a good community. So if anyone has any advice, tips, pointers on any of the above, I would definitely appreciate it.

At the moment, my 1.5 mile time is 14:30. Minimum pass time is 11:58 I believe. I have to cut at least a minute off each month. I try to go on two runs a day. One in the morning with my wife and child, where I push my daughter in the stroller. About 1.2 miles. One at night, just me, getting to cut loose more. About 2.5 miles.

Pushups and sit ups are good, but I will be working until then. After all, passing is good, not having to try to pass is better. 42 pushups and 47 sit ups in one minute.

Smoking... Been working myself down to half a pack a day for the last few months. Tomorrow marks the big step, from 10 to 0. I've got a huge bag of dumdums to ease the transition hopefully.

Like I said, any advice on any of this would be appreciated. Too much running, not enough, your experiences with basic training, a good luck to quit smoking... All input is appreciated. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Your dum-dum strategy is fantastic. Sugar, while not that good for you, is fantastic for breaking the habit, and it's not as bad for your body. I've never smoked, but I have close friends that did. One kept a huge bag of fun-size snickers in his bag for whenever he craved a smoke.

Trianas
2014-10-25, 11:06 PM
First off a BIG thank-you for defending our freedom and serving in our military-

As a former Vet I served on active duty for 13 years and 4 years in Iraq- I have been in the shoes your about to walk in, I wish you and your family (it’s a hard job being married to a military man) all the best of luck in your career!

If you are coming to Fort Hood Texas I have a real life face to face gaming group just next door in Temple TX always looking for more people-

Again good luck, take care and keep your butt down:smallbiggrin:

Traab
2014-11-17, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I'd say the same for me and my group. I can still remember it so clearly too, there were exactly 5 phones that we had access to, and nearly EVERYONE was lined up waiting to use them, we were allowed exactly 3 minutes for our phone call. In subsequent weeks though, we were allowed to go down when we wanted on Sunday, and as long as there was another phone open you were allowed to talk to your family for as long as you wanted, or make as many phone calls as you wanted.

Oh god that sucked. We were warned ahead of time this would be the case, so when I made my call my entire call went like this, "GET MOM QUICK! Ok, write this down!" Then I rattled off the long list of address to send me mail and whatnot, and ended with "Iloveyoubye!" /click. Didnt help half that was wasted typing in the prepaid phone card info.

Also, wow Star, most of the stuff you talked about wasnt done for me till I reached lackland afb. Our first week and a half was nothing but marching from building to building getting haircuts, shots, uniforms and supplies, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, checkups, paperwork, and then after drug testing we did some paperwork to break the monotony. In my case I had to do more because it was for top secret clearance. Iirc, I needed to list three references, then give three references for each of my references. I got to spend more time on the phone then just trying to think of enough people that could vouch for the people vouching for me. I may be off, this was like 15 years ago, but it was something kinda crazy like that.

Starwulf
2014-11-17, 07:34 PM
Oh god that sucked. We were warned ahead of time this would be the case, so when I made my call my entire call went like this, "GET MOM QUICK! Ok, write this down!" Then I rattled off the long list of address to send me mail and whatnot, and ended with "Iloveyoubye!" /click. Didnt help half that was wasted typing in the prepaid phone card info.

Also, wow Star, most of the stuff you talked about wasnt done for me till I reached lackland afb. Our first week and a half was nothing but marching from building to building getting haircuts, shots, uniforms and supplies, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, checkups, paperwork, and then after drug testing we did some paperwork to break the monotony. In my case I had to do more because it was for top secret clearance. Iirc, I needed to list three references, then give three references for each of my references. I got to spend more time on the phone then just trying to think of enough people that could vouch for the people vouching for me. I may be off, this was like 15 years ago, but it was something kinda crazy like that.

They squeezed all that paperwork and blood tests and paperwork and paperwork and paperwork and other stuff into a short 3-day period of time, which is actually what I was referencing when I was talking about being miserable due to a lack of sleep for a few days and marching in the pouring rain.

Hmm, 15 years ago...so you went in the same time as me then, in 1999? Was quite an interesting experience, I remember that much. Interesting and exhausting, LOL.

Yeah, my initial phone call was much the same. "Hi dad, Hi mom, love you guys, hope you all are doing great! Here's my address(hmm, I think it was Echo 1st of the 19th, other random military stuff, Fort Sill, OK), alright gotta go, love ya!

Thankfully after that, as long as you didn't go to church on Sundays, you had a 2 hour time period where you could do whatever you wanted(within your section of course), which I always used to write letters, do laundry and call home. I think like 85% of my entire unit went to church, so I could stay on the phone for as long as I wanted.

Traab
2014-11-17, 09:41 PM
My experience wasnt precisely typical. I was able to join the drum and bugle corp when I got to the base, so I was part of a flight that had different rules. No kp duty was the biggest one. Our days were full but never packed. We had time to do some personal stuff, and it seemed like the vast majority of our physical training time (morning workouts with multiple flights aside) was learning to march really really well. We never even saw a gun till 5th week of basic.

Too be honest, I never got that far. After the vaccinations, I caught an AWFUL illness that morphed into pneumonia and I ended up spending over a week in the hospital recovering. Im told I kept the entire floor awake all night listening to me cough while I was drugged asleep. They had to recycle me back which SUUUUUUUCKED! Suddenly im back at week 2 with a new flight, only now my breathing is absolutely wrecked. I wasnt able to do the running in the mornings anymore, so they recycled me AGAIN to see if I could get better. I spent most of that week on "dorm guard duty" because the new flight had to do all the paperwork i finished over a month ago and in the end they gave up and sent me home. I believe the term was "administrative discharge for medical reasons" or some such thing. Basically, after 2 years my record was wiped and its like I never joined. No black mark against me or anything. Still sucked though. Oh yeah, and I pulled something in my knee while exercising in the discharge squadron, so my last week was spent drugged up on pain pills. Good times. Gooooood times.

Hbgplayer
2014-11-20, 12:53 PM
A little late, but I want to thank everyone who has served.

Nilehus
2014-11-24, 03:37 AM
Sir, Airman Nilehus reports as ordered.

Made it through. I'll post a better summary once I get a laptop, but I got shoved into a band flight, and we rocked it. :smallbiggrin:

Maelstrom
2014-11-24, 03:42 AM
Congrats Airman on being squared away...carry on!

Kesnit
2014-11-24, 07:15 AM

Made it through.

Congrats! That's a huge step, and one to be very proud of.

I'll post a better summary once I get a laptop, but I got shoved into a band flight, and we rocked it. :smallbiggrin:

*chuckle* I joined the band when I was in OCS. One of the best decisions I made, since it got me out of cleaning details (because I was at band rehearsal) and regular PT sessions on graduation mornings (since I was at the commissioning as part of the band). Plus, it was fun!

Jonzac
2014-11-24, 02:12 PM
Do you have your first base of assignment, or do you have to wait for tech school to find out?

SiuiS
2014-11-25, 01:19 PM

Made it through. I'll post a better summary once I get a laptop, but I got shoved into a band flight, and we rocked it. :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations Airman. Keep up the good work, do us proud. :smallsmile:

Lentrax
2014-11-25, 02:16 PM

Congratulations! Keep up the hard work, study hard, and good luck!

Just don't forget to let off steam every once in a while. Overexert yourself, and you'll burn out. I've seen that happen.

Good luck, Airman!