PDA

View Full Version : Casting for the OOTS

Sir Grave
2014-06-12, 07:53 AM
Assuming Order of the stick were an animated cartoon or movie, which voice actor/actress would be assigned to each of the following characters?

:roy: Roy Greenhilt

:elan: Elan

:haley: Haley Starshine

:durkon: Durkon Thundershield

:vaarsuvius: Vaarsuvius

:belkar: Belkar Bitterleaf

:xykon: Xykon

:redcloak: Redcloak

:mitd: Monster in the Darkness

:roach: Demon Roaches

:nale: Nale

:sabine: Sabine

:thog: Thog

grolim
2014-06-12, 08:10 AM
Thought this was done a long time ago, maybe lost in forum changes.....

Roy: Christopher Judge

Nale/Elan: Stephen Colbert. Himself for Nale, but even if voice acting he has to wear the goatee to Elan

Haley: Selena Gomez, get the teen crowd.

Durkon: Craig Ferguson.

Vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinton

Belkar: John Leguizamo

Xykon: Tim Curry

Redcloak:

MitD: Jonah Hill

Demon Roaches: Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

Sabine: Elizabeth Hurley

Thog:

Tarquin: Jeremy Irons.

Sir Grave
2014-06-12, 11:42 AM
Hmm... I always thought of Xykon as more of a Mark Hamill. But that works too. Great choices.:smallsmile:

Metahuman1
2014-06-12, 03:18 PM
Nale/Elan: Stephen Colbert. Himself for Nale, but even if voice acting he has to wear the goatee to Elan

Haley: Selena Gomez, get the teen crowd.

Your seriously gonna put the teen queen with a dude in his 40's or over?

That aside, why not make Mark Hamill Redcloak? No, wait, make him Thog, and make Redclock be played by that guy who voiced Frolo in Disney's Hunchback of Notra Dame.

Sir Grave
2014-06-12, 05:10 PM
Haha! Mark Hamill can play them both!

That said, Frolo's voice is a neat choice. He scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

Metahuman1
2014-06-12, 05:20 PM
And just imagine his voice playing off Tim Curry's voice as self aware bad guys talking to each-other. XD!!!

russdm
2014-06-12, 07:07 PM
Here are mine)

Christopher Judge or Samuel L Jackson

Seth Green or Robert Downy Jr.

Ellen Page (Played Juno and Kitty Pryde) or Zooey Deschanel or Jennifer Hale

James Earl Jones or Michael Dorn Or Keith David

Grey DeLisle (voiced Azula)

John Leguizamo

Tim Curry

Christopher Lloyd or Andy Serkis

The guy who played Lassiter on Pysch

Gus and Shawn from Pysch

William Shatner: You need the hammy here

Keira Knightly or Dame Judy Dench

Patrick Warburton or Keith David

Tarquin: Christopher Walken or Rutgar Hauer

You can ask way and I will explain.

Sir Grave
2014-06-12, 07:52 PM
WOW. Those are equally good. I was thinking the voice for Azula would be great for someone like Miko Miyazaki, but it probably works better for V.
And William Shatner. 'Nuff said!

KerfuffleMach2
2014-06-12, 10:55 PM
Assuming Order of the stick were an animated cartoon or movie, which voice actor/actress would be assigned to each of the following characters?

Phil Lamarr or Terry Crews or Tyrese Gibson

Cary Elwes

Laura Bailey

John Rhys-Davies or Mike Meyers

...alright, I got nothing here...

Bradley Cooper or Nolan North

Mark Hamill or Tim Curry

Jeremy Irons or Leonard Nimoy

Rick Moranis

Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong or Billy Crystal and Robin Williams

Roger Rees

Cree Summer or Grey DeLisle

Patrick Warburton or John DiMaggio

Sir Grave
2014-06-13, 11:49 AM
Okay. There are obviously more characters in OOST than anyone can count, but I have an idea for a few other choices:

Miko Miyazaki - Lucy Liu

Lord Shojo - James Hong

Hinjo - Brad Pitt

O-Chul - Ken Watanabe

Kubota - George Takei

The Imp - Lauren Tom

Therlka - Tara Strong

Celia - Hinden Walch

Metahuman1
2014-06-13, 11:59 AM
Honestly: I want the actress that did Azula to do Miko. Or Tara Strong, whom I think has enough range and chops to do a hero turned anti hero turned almost but not quite villain.

Maybe Ashely Ball (Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack form the current MLP series.) for Therlka.

Also, I like George Takei better for Shojo myself, and I like Cheech and Chong for the demon roaches simply cause Robin Williams strength is Improve and I'm not sure that's such a great fit for this.

Aotrs Commander
2014-06-13, 12:06 PM
Christopher Judge or Samuel L Jackson

I was thinking of the latter, but yeah, the former is a really good pick too!

I can just totally hear SLJ saying some of Roy's lines (especially the more exasperated ones), though.

BRIAN BLESSED as THOR!

I have to say, I can't see Tim Curry as Xykon. Tim Curry is good, but I think he's a bit too... Tim Curry. Too... quirky? I think? Tony Jay is absolutely outstanding as villain voice, though - I could see that. (If Tony Jay is still ticking - I haven't heard him doing ay voice acting for a good while.) But he's maybe not quite... offhanf enough for

Clancy Brown would be an excellent choice for Xykon, on the other hand - he can do do really good serious villains (Lex Luthor) and on the other end... Mr Krabs, so I think he could get the right balance for Xykon.

Legato Endless
2014-06-13, 01:17 PM
Thought this was done a long time ago, maybe lost in forum changes.....

Several times actually, its cyclical. No harm though, each thread has someone post something different, so it's not quite a rehash every time.

Yora
2014-06-13, 01:27 PM
Voice acting would have somewhat different requirements than regular acting.

But I'd like Terry Crews as Thog.

Mystic Muse
2014-06-13, 02:19 PM
Your seriously gonna put the teen queen with a dude in his 40's or over?

That aside, why not make Mark Hamill Redcloak? No, wait, make him Thog, and make Redclock be played by that guy who voiced Frolo in Disney's Hunchback of Notra Dame.

Unfortunately, Tony Jay is dead.

Sir Grave
2014-06-13, 03:43 PM
Honestly: I want the actress that did Azula to do Miko. Or Tara Strong, whom I think has enough range and chops to do a hero turned anti hero turned almost but not quite villain.

Maybe Ashely Ball (Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack form the current MLP series.) for Therlka.

Also, I like George Takei better for Shojo myself, and I like Cheech and Chong for the demon roaches simply cause Robin Williams strength is Improve and I'm not sure that's such a great fit for this.

Don't count out James Hong for Lord Shojo. If you've seen him in Big Trouble in Little China, he can pull off "creepy old man" extremely well.

Metahuman1
2014-06-13, 03:45 PM
Damn, wasn't aware of that. Freaking shame too.

En, thing is for Shojo I see eccentric and wise and smart-assed just a touch, but not creepy.

Kislath
2014-06-13, 04:26 PM
How has no one yet picked Alan Rickman for Redcloak?

Sir Grave
2014-06-13, 04:38 PM
How has no one yet picked Alan Rickman for Redcloak?

Ooooh! I like that choice! Alan Rickman for Redcloak sounds badass!

Hiro Protagonest
2014-06-13, 04:41 PM
Steve Blum. As all the male characters, including Vaarsuvius (he was Sergei in Asura's Wrath). Well, okay, Hong can voice Shojo.

Calemyr
2014-06-13, 05:00 PM
Thog: Keith David

You are an evil, hilarious person. Because now all I can hear is Keith David (the voice of Goliath the Gargoyle, Captain Anderson, and Vice President Keith David) saying Thog's lines.

"Ah, my little ice cream friends, Thog delays his boredom fueled rampage only for you..."

"What is offal?"

"YAY! HUGS!"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-06-13, 08:21 PM
I just had a great idea for Thog.

Lou Ferrigno.

Aotrs Commander
2014-06-13, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately, Tony Jay is dead.

Yeah, I had a feeling that might be the case, sadly. I mean, he wasn't a young bloke when he was doing all the voice acting for Reboot and such, and that was twenty years ago.

Sir Grave
2014-06-13, 10:45 PM
I just had a great idea for Thog.

Lou Ferrigno.

Well, Thog is basically the hulk. Why not him?

Calemyr
2014-06-14, 06:13 AM
Well, Thog is basically the hulk. Why not him?

That would give an added edge of humor to the line "Why Thog's pants turn purple?"

Lord Scythe
2014-06-15, 12:29 PM
Steve Blum. As all the male characters, including Vaarsuvius (he was Sergei in Asura's Wrath). Well, okay, Hong can voice Shojo.

:smallconfused:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I think that's the worst suggestion possible.

Kato
2014-06-15, 01:19 PM
Am I missing something or why has nobody nominated Peter Dinkleage for Belkar?

Otherwise... many great idea, Ferigno for Thog, Rickman for Redcloak (although I could also see others, e.g. Oldman there)
I do love Curry but I'm not entirely sure if he could (still) pull off Xykon. Then again, I haven't seen him in anything recent and I don't know how well he's still doing. I just don't see Xykon as that old a person... well, you know what I mean.

In what age range are Haley and Elan, again? Late twenties or so? I kind of have a hard time thinking of many great actors around that age, most of the top of my head are older.

grolim
2014-06-15, 01:49 PM
Age does not matter as much for animation and voice acting.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-06-15, 02:46 PM
:smallconfused:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I think that's the worst suggestion possible.

It's not the worst. It's the most hilarious. :smallamused:

Sir Grave
2014-06-15, 02:49 PM

True dat. There are even voice actors who play characters of the opposite sex. (Consequently, that's common in table-top roleplaying.)

Lord Scythe
2014-06-15, 02:54 PM
It's not the worst. It's the most hilarious. :smallamused:

I guess, in the same way Jack and Jill starring Adam Sandler is "hilarious."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-06-16, 02:34 AM
Am I missing something or why has nobody nominated Peter Dinkleage for Belkar?

Otherwise... many great idea, Ferigno for Thog, Rickman for Redcloak (although I could also see others, e.g. Oldman there)
I do love Curry but I'm not entirely sure if he could (still) pull off Xykon. Then again, I haven't seen him in anything recent and I don't know how well he's still doing. I just don't see Xykon as that old a person... well, you know what I mean.

In what age range are Haley and Elan, again? Late twenties or so? I kind of have a hard time thinking of many great actors around that age, most of the top of my head are older.

Yeah, the age doesn't matter too much, as long as they can still pull off the voice needed.

True dat. There are even voice actors who play characters of the opposite sex. (Consequently, that's common in table-top roleplaying.)

Like Tara Strong playing Timmy Turner. Or Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson.

And now that I said that...I could see Belkar having a Bart-like voice, actually.

Kato
2014-06-16, 10:02 AM

Yeah, the age doesn't matter too much, as long as they can still pull off the voice needed.

Sorry, i missed the part about it being animation :smallredface: Of course that opens up a whole lot of other possibilities...

TeChameleon
2014-06-18, 02:47 PM
Heh. I think I agree with a lot of the suggestions made (albeit not all of them), so there'll probably be some overlap with previous lists, but here's my stab at it:

:roy: Roy Greenhilt- Idris Elba. Oddly, this would work for both live action and animated, although I don't know how much voicework he's done. Even so, I think his voice just has the right qualities for Roy. As much as I love Keith David's work, I don't know how well he'd be able to keep it in the zone of barely-controlled exasperation that characterizes so much of Roy's life.

:elan: Elan- Jess Harnell, reprising his Wakko Warner voice. For whatever reason, I imagine Elan with a bit of an English accent, and the Wakko voice just seems to suit Elan's habit of saying strange things.

:haley: Haley Starshine- Not sure. Think Colleen Clinkenbeard could work for the role, although I'm not as certain with this one as I am for some of the others.

:durkon: Durkon Thundershield- ... yeah, don't think I can top John Rhys-Davies.

:vaarsuvius: Vaarsuvius- Ditto Grey DeLisle.

:belkar: Belkar Bitterleaf- Mark Hammill. I really have no idea what kind of voice he'd do for Belkar, but I'm pretty sure it would be awesome :smallamused:

:xykon: Xykon- Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Frank Welker. He's prove (over and over and over... <.<) that he can bring the mix of laziness, egomania, power trip and evil that Xykon would really need to sound right.

:redcloak: Redcloak- Maurice LaMarche, in full Brain mode. For whatever reason, it feels like he would do a good job of that wonderful blend of subservience, insurrection, sophistication, and buried self-loathing that defines Redcloak.

:mitd: Monster in the Darkness- I'd actually put Tara Strong here. She can do the chirpy innocence that the MitD needs quite well.

:roach: Demon Roaches- Cheech and Chong? Heh. Why not?

:nale: Nale- Jim Cummings, no question. Dude can do any voice, and he's done a few roles that really, really nailed that not-entirely-competent-but-still-dangerous supreme overconfidence that Nale brings to the table.

:sabine: Sabine- Kathleen Turner. She can do the 'sultry vamp' voice really, really well, and if she could maintain it while doing Sabine's more manic moments, it would be screamingly funny.

:thog: Thog- yeah, not gonna top Lou Ferrigno here, either :smalltongue:

Don't have a lot of ideas for the rest of the crew, although I'll throw out Jonathan 'Xanatos' Frakes for Tarquin. I'm having a hard time thinking of a better 'just as planned voice' for him, given that George 'Hannibal Smith' Peppard is dead. And maybe Keith David, Peter Cullen, and Christopher Lee for the IFCC :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-06-18, 03:16 PM
:belkar: Belkar bitterleaf- mark hammill. I really have no idea what kind of voice he'd do for belkar, but i'm pretty sure it would be awesome :smallamused:

yes. This must be a thing.