PDA

View Full Version : WoW or Everquest II

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-22, 01:05 AM
About 8 or so months ago I had quit playing Everquest II (which I had played for sometime). Now, I want to get back into an MMO but am not sure on whether to go back to Everquest II or try out a new MMO, which would probably be WoW.

I have two friends (well, not great friends) that play WoW, and none that play Everquest II. But I'm familiar with Everquest II and think its a great MMO and when comparing game graphics, believe that Everquest II is way better looking. And because I'm a D&D fanatic, I like my RPG's, MMO's, ect, pretty close to that setting. Meaning I like to stray from guns and other tech kind of stuff (but trust me, I love to blow off someones head in Gears of War as much as the next guy. Just not in certain games, if that makes sense. When its a sword game, I like to keep it that way). And I've been told that wow has quite a few guns (and mechanical chickens :smallconfused:).

But I do like exploring a new game and WoW seems pretty popular. But going along that path means that I'll have to spend like $50 on it if I want to get burning crusade as well :smallannoyed:.

Anyway, I started this thread to see if I could get you guys to convince me one way of another (although I'm guessing that most will be going for WoW. I don't think I've ever even seen an Everquest II thread). Also feel free to suggest other MMO's. So remember, my MMO future is in your hands!! :smallsmile:

*walks off to bed*

Erloas
2007-02-22, 09:02 AM
Well I haven't played EQ2, and I have played WoW. WoW is an ok game. Some people really like it and some people really dislike it. What I have noticed is the more familiar with MMOs someone is the less they like WoW. So if you only have a little experience with MMOs then WoW will likely be a great game, if you have had a lot of experience with MMOs then WoW really doesn't do anything you haven't seen a lot of before.

What I have heard about EQ2 is that it had a fair number of problems at first but just recently (maybe 3-6 months ago) they had a major patch that fixed a lot of those problems. I couldn't say what those problems where, but what I've heard is that EQ2 is a lot better game now then it was not too long ago.

Zherog
2007-02-22, 01:34 PM
But I do like exploring a new game and WoW seems pretty popular. But going along that path means that I'll have to spend like $50 on it if I want to get burning crusade as well :smallannoyed:.

I could send you a 10-day free trial via e-mail if you're interested in trying before you buy. :)

Crazy Owl
2007-02-22, 05:32 PM
I could send you a 10-day free trial via e-mail if you're interested in trying before you buy. :)

You can get that of their site I think.

Zherog
2007-02-22, 05:36 PM
I dunno. I never looked for it. I do know that people with an active account can send out a free 10-day trial to up to 5 people at one time. I don't mind sending Myatar (or anybody else for that matter) a trial if they're interested in seeing the game.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-22, 06:23 PM

No, its alright. I can indeed download it from the site, but I have a friend that is trying to email me a free trial as well. I really don't want to have to wait for the download (I heard it takes over 10 hours, ouch!), but I don't have much of a choice if I want to download it.

Zherog
2007-02-22, 07:08 PM
Heh. The reason your friend (and me too) wants to send you the trial key is because if you end up paying for a month, the person who sent you the trial key gets one month free. :smallwink:

I have no idea how long it takes to download, though.

Beleriphon
2007-02-23, 05:33 AM
Heh. The reason your friend (and me too) wants to send you the trial key is because if you end up paying for a month, the person who sent you the trial key gets one month free. :smallwink:

I have no idea how long it takes to download, though.

It isn't fast, You're downloading upwards of 2GB of data.

Meschaelene
2007-02-23, 11:24 AM
If you have a really good system, you might want to try Vanguard. It's always fun to play a new game on the market that is not already filled with max-level characters! I had a really cool moment in that game the other day: My character, a Juriter of Harmonious Peace in the service of the Empire and Lao Jin knight was off exploring and found a temple hidden in the jungle. Walking out of it was an Imperial Scout who looked ready to attack me! I know nothing about this place (and there is nothing online about it), so I have an appointment tomorrow to get together with some friends to explore this mystery! What is this place, and why would fellow members in the imperial service want to attack me for getting too close?

(Caveat -- VG is not as casual-friendly as EQII or WoW, so if that's your playstyle, stick with them!)

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-24, 03:36 PM
Vanguard sounds pretty good. I think I might give it a try. I like the fact that it came out only a month ago.

Inarius
2007-02-25, 03:05 AM
I like em both to be honest though I tend to prefer eq 2 because I prefer the classes and class balancing choices theyve made. Thats my biggest gripe about WoW to be honest. The problem with EQ 2 is its abit of a ghost town which can make finding groups both easy and hard. With WoW if you pick the right class youll never be LFG for long.

The Dirge
2007-02-25, 03:13 AM
All my frineds who have played heaps of MMO's hate WoW.

Leon
2007-02-25, 10:20 AM
My 5cp, I play WoW - never played anything else and have no great inclination. ive loved the warcraft universe since i first played Warcraft II (went back for one later). Ive looked at others but they are all something else that i'd have to sink time and money into - something that i'd rather not do.

Personal choices on what things look like vary greatly it seems but i dont see what is bad about how WoW looks - it looks like it should for a Warcraft game, Im a D&D fan but i dont need it seep into every aspect of everthing i play or do
I suggest trying it out at least - yes you have to patch it but what your getting is a better shaped product than what i started with

Yep WoW has guns, your only really going to use a gun if your a Hunter or a Melee class who wants one for pulling - Bows and Crosbows feature greatly too, in the end it just comes down to what you like the look of and what you think suits - Dwarves get bonuses to using guns, Trolls get bonuses for Bows etc.
Remember D&D has Guns too

Reinforcements
2007-02-25, 01:23 PM
All my frineds who have played heaps of MMO's hate WoW.
I find that most of the people who are aware of WoW and seriously dislike it fall into one of two major groups: casual gamers who, for whatever reason, dislike the typical MMORPG-style games in general, and masochistic hardcore MMORPG players who think WoW is for "carebears".

(NOTE: The above statement is tongue-in-cheek, so don't think I'm insulting you if you fall into one of those groups. Also, if you dislike WoW and DON'T fall into one of those groups, I don't need to hear about it. That's why I said "most" - so you're not proving anything by saying it.)

vanik
2007-02-25, 01:38 PM
What I have noticed is the more familiar with MMOs someone is the less they like WoW.

I've had first-hand experience with this, it's true.

I have a 64 hunter on WoW, and I really enjoyed playing it - but WoW is my first MMORPG. I've dabbled a little bit in other MMORPG's since then. I've played the LoTR beta, Galaxies, Guild Wars, and some cheap free MMORPG's. I don't think theres really much variety between them. You have to pick your poison. Personally I would just go with whatever game's graphics and environment impress you the most, MMORPG gameplay is just grinding.

Vaynor
2007-02-25, 01:51 PM
I love WoW. I don't care if you guys think it's not a great game, it has provided countless hours of entertainment for me. If you do want to get it, I would suggest not getting BC until you know you really like the game, also, there's not much point until a higher level.

(Join Eldre'Thalas!)

Lynwë
2007-02-25, 02:13 PM
I'm not too familiar with WoW or EQ2, but if you're a fan of D&D I'd reccamend that you try Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's set in the Eberron setting so you'll see warforged walking around. The other player races are halflings, humans, elves, dwarves, and you can unlock the drow later. (In a few months half-orcs will be added.) On top of all that its a great MMO and the graphics are awesome. Feel free to check out the website

www.ddo.com

(if you decide to try it out roll up a char on thelanis)

Vidav
2007-02-26, 04:34 PM
I have played UO, EQ, AC, AC2, SWG, FFXI, and now WoW and I love it. I don't know why people with "a lot of mmo experience" would dislike it. I spent most of my previous play time in AC, AC2 and SWG which were all very different games. WoW may be easier to level, I would never deny that, but the end game content is no joke.

People that complain it's too easy probably just haven't tried anything that involved more than 5 players and 2 hours.

I don't mean to cause an argument, I just disagree that its not a fun game.

Icewalker
2007-02-26, 05:06 PM
Haven't played too many MMOs, except Guild Wars and WoW, and I once did a school project on MMOs, and compared WoW, Guild Wars, and FFXII, and from what I can tell, WoW is the best. by a lot. (although FFXII does look interesting). WoW is really just completely amazing all around, and I have almost never been disapointed in anything they have done.

the monthly fee is bad compared to some games, but it really is amazing. (also, comparing populations of games, I found a list, from at least 6 months ago, that listed WoW as 5 million players (its now 8) and the second highest game was one of the everquests, at about 1 million.) WoW can get laggy if you have a slow or average comp, especially in major cities, but if you turn all the settings down and you are patient in the population hubs, it really isn't a problem.

WoW graphics are very good with all the settings up, but then it gets too laggy (at least on my comp) but even with the settings off, the graphics aren't that bad, and certainly not bad enough to draw attention to themselves.

One of the best things about WoW is the massive amount of opportunity. 10 races, 9 classes to choose from, every level range has at least 2-3 areas to choose from, the instances allow grouping and good rewards but are not truly required to continue in the game (until you reach max level, but you could just make another character, and if you play the other faction, or even most other races, you would have an almost entirely new set of quests to go through.)

so yeah, I vote for WoW. it is amazing in basically every respect.

Erloas
2007-02-28, 12:30 PM
One of the best things about WoW is the massive amount of opportunity. 10 races, 9 classes to choose from, every level range has at least 2-3 areas to choose from, the instances allow grouping and good rewards but are not truly required to continue in the game (until you reach max level, but you could just make another character, and if you play the other faction, or even most other races, you would have an almost entirely new set of quests to go through.)

Actually WoW's choice of classes and races is limited compared to some other games. DAOC released with 12 races and about 24 classes and has 19ish races and 36ish classes now (don't remember exactly, but its close). EQ2 I know has more then that, but I haven't actually played it so I don't know how many they do have.
EVE is harder to make a direct comparision to, it only has 4 races but it has 20 types of combat ships not counting capital ships and the T2 versions of ships, plus non combat types of ships. There is also 2-5 versions of each ship in each type, and as much of a comparision as can be made between the games a ship type is about as close as you can compare to a class.
My mind is drawing a blank on other games right now.
As for the quests, you end up doing a lot of the same quests for both factions, they might have a different person to talk to to start and finish the quests but they are still the same, and a lot of the mid level quests come from neutral people. Horde and Alliance are fairly different in terms of content up until about level 30ish and then you are doing the exact same things no matter which side you are playing on.

Compared to EQ2 and FFXII I couldn't say if WoW has more opportunties and options, but compared to the games I have played I find WoW lacking.

Tibuis
2007-02-28, 01:03 PM
I have played a couple MMO's. Started with Evercrack, moved to DAOC, then Guild Wars and now I am stuck on WOW. I have to say that I love it. I do feel that it is easier to level then the other MMO's I have played in, but the end game content is no joke, prior to BC, I was in an MC raiding guild and was having a blast at it. Now with the exp, you need even less players to do end game content. Not only that, but there are reputation rewards and pretty cool professions imo. Hit me up if you have any questions about it.

FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!