PDA

View Full Version : [ToB]Master of Nine - recovering expended maneuvers

Tao Scientist
2007-02-22, 01:08 AM
How does a character with the Master of Nine PrC recover expended maneuvers in disciplines that are not allowed in his base class(es)? For example, the character is a swordsage x / master of nine y and learned a maneuver from the Devoted Spirit discipline. Does he recover this Devoted Spirit maneuver as a swordsage, a crusader, or some other method?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-22, 01:19 AM
Whatever method is the most efficient for you, I imagine.

Jack Mann
2007-02-22, 01:43 AM
You initiate them as you did the ones you had before. This is covered in the section "Advancing Martial Progression" at the beginning of the prestige classes chapter.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-22, 03:49 AM
The same way in which he does so after gaining a maneuver from another discipline with Martial Study; the same way as all his other maneuvers.

Or, if he's a smart swordsage, he uses Adaptive Style, and recovers all maneuvers as a full-round action.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-22, 02:54 PM
Hmm. Does that mean if you had two different MA classes before taking a prestige class, you can choose to recover maneuvers as whichever one you want?

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-22, 02:56 PM
Hmm. Does that mean if you had two different MA classes before taking a prestige class, you can choose to recover maneuvers as whichever one you want?

No. You choose one, and it's set in stone from then on. It's like taking levels in archmage when you have levels in sorcerer and bard; you pick one class to add caster levels to, and it's set.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-22, 03:02 PM
No. You choose one, and it's set in stone from then on. It's like taking levels in archmage when you have levels in sorcerer and bard; you pick one class to add caster levels to, and it's set.

Not always. Some +1 spellcaster level classes let you choose at each level.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-22, 03:04 PM
Not always. Some +1 spellcaster level classes let you choose at each level.

They do? Huh.

Well, anyway. Martial Adept prestige classes don't let you pick and choose.

Jack Mann
2007-02-22, 03:36 PM
Also, if you should gain maneuvers without taking a martial adept class, such as the martial study feat or a prestige class, and then you take a martial adept class, your previous maneuvers are still used and regained as though you had no martial adept class, and must be kept track of separately. You can't start recovering them as, say, a crusader.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-22, 03:42 PM

I like Martial Adepts. I really do. But does anyone else feel like they somehow managed to make sword magic way more complicated then arcane or divine magic?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-22, 03:43 PM

I like Martial Adepts. I really do. But does anyone else feel like they somehow managed to make sword magic way more complicated then arcane or divine magic?

It is and it isn't. There's no real bookkeeping involved, but you do have to deal with funny rules (like the one addressed here).

Flawless
2007-02-22, 07:06 PM
Or, if he's a smart swordsage, he uses Adaptive Style, and recovers all maneuvers as a full-round action.

Is that true? Does changing your readied maneuvers mean you recover your maneuevers?

Jack Mann
2007-02-22, 07:11 PM
Yep. Which is why any smart swordsage will take the feat.

Flawless
2007-02-22, 07:19 PM
That is interesting... I need to get that feat as soon as possible.

But where does it say that changing your maneuvers recovers them? I'm just curious.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-22, 07:22 PM
That is interesting... I need to get that feat as soon as possible.

But where does it say that changing your maneuvers recovers them? I'm just curious.

They're "reselected as if you chose them for the day", which includes giving them to you as if readied. The real lock in on this is from the bit where it talks about the Crusader receiving some of the maneuvers as "granted maneuvers."

Oh, also: I asked CustServ, and that's what they told me.

Jack Mann
2007-02-22, 07:23 PM
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20060828a). .

Flawless
2007-02-22, 07:25 PM
Ah, thanks a lot, Jack Man.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-23, 06:05 AM
CustServ are dirty rotten liars. Amazingly they got something right for a change.