PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Vermin or Magical Beast?

Zombimode
2014-06-12, 10:58 AM
For the next session, I'm designing a type of critters called "Carrion Bugs".

They are nothing to special. A type of carrion eating rather large (medium sized in rule terms) bug-like creature with some supernatural powers of inducing fear to ward of would-be predators. They have a visage resembling a skull reinforcing their fear powers through their morphology.

The creature isn't finished yet, but the general idea is to use the Giant Cockroach (Underdark) as a baseline and slap on the Scare ability of a Krenshar on it. Then, maybe file on the numbers.

The roadblock I'm running into is the type line. It's a bug, so it should be a Vermin. But is also a (somewhat) magical bug, so it could also be a Magical Beast.

The reason why I'm hesitant to make it a magical beast is that besides its Scare power its a fricking bug!
Favored Enemy (Vermin) should apply against it. Repel Vermin should work against it.

Are there any instances of other insect/spider or other vermin-type creatures that are somewhat supernatural but are still classified as vermin? I could use a precedence :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2014-06-12, 11:37 AM
There's a whole bunch of spiders of the magical sort in the drow from the underdark book. Not sure what they are classified as, but that would be a good baseline

Zombimode
2014-06-12, 11:41 AM
There's a whole bunch of spiders of the magical sort in the drow from the underdark book. Not sure what they are classified as, but that would be a good baseline

I've looked into them, but they don't appear to have any actual magical abilities. They are all flagged as [Ex]

Gildedragon
2014-06-12, 11:58 AM
I'd say slap the vermin type on it regardless.
Or aberration if you feel that one doesn't fit well