PDA

View Full Version : New Race: Corpseforged

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-12, 11:23 AM
I was working on some homebrew artificer content when I came up with the idea for and undead warforged race. naturally, I set to work on putting the thing together. This is mostly preliminary, but I want to hear what you think.

Without further ado, the Corpseforged

New Race: Corpseforged

Corpseforged are an experimental type of undead, one that is not only sentient but also independent. Created during the Last War to serve as a counter to the Warforged, the Corpsefored were developed by house Vol as versatile undead soldiers that were capable of making decisions as well as comprising a wide variety of roles in battle. Eventually, corpseforged construction was abolished, as the creatures were deemed too costly and hard to control. However, there exist some who have deserted the armies of Karrnath that remain alive. They wander the world, shunned by all other creatures for their horrific origin and appearance, but this rejection has made them stronger, and they continue to develop themselves far from the judging eyes of mortals.

Manufactured Undead subtype: Corpseforged are undead with the manufactured subtype. It has the following traits:
-Unlike most undead, corpseforged have a constitution score, using it to determine their HP rather than using charisma.
-Unlike most undead, corpseforged is not immune to mind-affecting spells or abilities
-Corpseforged are immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
-Corpseforged are subject to critical hits, sneak attacks, stunning, nonlethal damage, and ability damage, unlike most undead.
-Negative energy heals corpseforged, as it does for most undead. Positive energy harms it
-When reduced to 0 hit points, a corpseforged is disabled rather than destroyed. He can take a single move or standard action each turn, and does not take damage as a result of strenuous activity. When between 0 and -10 hit points, the corpseforged is helpless and inert. They cannot perform any actions, but are considered stable, and do not take damage unless it is dealt to them. They are, however, destroyed at -10 hp like living creatures.
-Corpseforged, unlike most undead, can be raised or resurrected. They appear in their undead state.
-Corpseforged do not need to eat, sleep or breathe, but can still benefit from consuming things such as potions or Hero’s Feast. In addition, they require 8 hours of inactivity before preparing their spells.

+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Corpseforged are durable, but not always perceptive or sociable.

Medium Size: Corpseforged have no bonuses or penalties due to their size

Corpseforged have a base speed of 30 feet

Light Fortification: Corpseforged have a 25% chance of negating a critical hit or sneak attack upon them.

Natural Armor: Corpseforged possess +2 natural armor

Slam: Corpseforged have a slam attack that deals 1d4 damage

Turn Resistance: Corpseforged have +2 Turn Resistance

Starting Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None

Favored Class: Fighter

Ilinoris
2014-06-12, 11:28 AM
I like it. Might actually include it in my current campaign - as a monster though ;)

Loek
2014-06-12, 12:26 PM
I like it, neat counter part to the warforged living constructs (These guys might need their own type as well, maybe?)

What probably needs fixing/to be done:
House Siberys <== no such house. Personally I'd attribute it to the house of Vol (mark of death) or the nation of Karrnath... or some such (Maybe the abberant marked group, whose name I can't recall right now).
Specifically mention that resurection brings them back to their corpseforged state (as normal undead become living again) - Also mention that they still "die" at -10 HP.
The slam attack seems a bit silly/useless.
Needs feats/items to boost their basic values (like the warforged).
Needs PrCs (like the warforged) to making them more/less undead-like

But overal, me likes, now go make more compatible stuff so they can be truly fun.

ps: when balancing against warforged, these guys seem to miss the composite plate... maybe give them some types of skin (bony, zombie, ghost-like, carpace) or some such?

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-12, 12:30 PM
ps: when balancing against warforged, these guys seem to miss the composite plate... maybe give them some types of skin (bony, zombie, ghost-like, carpace) or some such?

+2 Natural Armor, if you didn't notice that.

Added your changes, thanks for the input. I have an artificer archetype being developed with this race in mind.

Zaydos
2014-06-12, 12:31 PM
I'd say Sentient Undead is probably a bad name for the subtype as say Vampires, Wights, Ghouls, and Ghosts are sentient undead but don't have the subtype.

As for the rest, +2 nat armor replaces Composite Plating and allows you to buy armor normally making them a little stronger than warforged BUT they have no immunity or resistance to Turn Undead making them much weaker if the DM wants to exploit that. I'd give them at least a little turn resistance (+2 maybe even +4), still exploitable by a DM if they want to but means you are unlikely to just encounter a Lv 2 cleric which dusts you at Lv 1. Or a Lv 16 which uses Greater Turning to dust you at 16th.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-14, 10:06 PM
Feats ready!

Warped Anatomy
You are abnormally shaped, resulting in superior defense but impaired mobility
Prerequisite: Corpseforged
Benefit: You are no longer susceptible to critical hits, sneak attacks, stunning, nonlethal damage, or ability damage. However, your movement speed is reduced to 20 feet.

Corpseforged Wings
You have wings grafted onto your body, which grant you limited flight
Prerequisite: Corpseforged
Benefit: You have a pair of wings that grant you a fly speed of 20 (poor maneuverability)

Improved Corpseforged Wings
Prerequisite: Corpseforged, Corpseforged Wings
Benefit: your fly speed increases by 10 feet and your maneuverability rating increases by 1 rank. In addition, you gain a wing buffet attack that deals 1d4 damage.

Vampiric Attacks
You were created with the ability to leech life from your enemies
Prerequisites: Corpseforged, first level only
Benefits: Whenever you hit an enemy with your slam attack, you gain 2 temporary hit points.

Life-sapping Attacks
You drain your adversaries life energy with a touch
Prerequisites: Corpseforged, Vampiric Attacks, 7th level.
Benefits: Whenever you hit an enemy with your slam attack, they must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + your Charisma Modifier) or recieve one negative level. A creature can only have one negative level from this ability at a time. This is a supernatural ability

Improved Life-sapping Attacks
Your life-draining ability can utterly ravage your foes
Prerequisite: Corpseforged, Life-sapping Attacks' character level 11th
Benefits: Your slam attack now deals 1d4 negative levels on a failed fortitude save, and there is no longer a limit on the number of levels it may impose.

Counterchannel
You have learned to fend off attempts to control you using energy
Prerequisite: Undead, Ability to rebuke undead
Benefit: Whenever you are targeted by a turning or rebuking effect, you may make a rebuke attempt as an immediate action. If your check is equal to or greater than your opponents, their turn attempt immediately fails.

Hanuman
2014-06-15, 03:00 AM
Necropolitan draws insights.