PDA

View Full Version : Procedural Map generator

malonkey1
2014-06-12, 12:52 PM
I need some help finding a procedural map generator. The issue here is that while I have several, none do what I need: Specifically, I'm trying to make maps of ring-shaped worlds, which is pretty close to impossible on Fractal Terrain Pro (at least, the version I have). Any suggestions or ideas?

NichG
2014-06-12, 02:36 PM
Anything that can generate a 2D, rectangular, periodic map or texture should be able to do this, I think? I mean, a ring world is a torus, and a torus is topologically equivalent to a doubly-periodic rectangular tiling, so this should actually be easier than mapping a spherical world.

For mapping, you can do a fair amount using GIMP and periodic textures/periodic noise, though it takes a bit of practice and experimentation to get good map effects. If you want something vectorial though, I don't know a vector program that can do periodic drawings (would be a neat feature though!)

As far as completely automatic generation, its been awhile since I've looked so the primary software for it has probably changed. I know there's always a few commercial ones, but I don't know what the current best freeware is.

Or is the issue that you want to render the world in 3D and make an actual 3D image of the ringworld?

malonkey1
2014-06-12, 02:39 PM
Anything that can generate a 2D, rectangular, periodic map or texture should be able to do this, I think? I mean, a ring world is a torus, and a torus is topologically equivalent to a doubly-periodic rectangular tiling, so this should actually be easier than mapping a spherical world.

For mapping, you can do a fair amount using GIMP and periodic textures/periodic noise, though it takes a bit of practice and experimentation to get good map effects. If you want something vectorial though, I don't know a vector program that can do periodic drawings (would be a neat feature though!)

As far as completely automatic generation, its been awhile since I've looked so the primary software for it has probably changed. I know there's always a few commercial ones, but I don't know what the current best freeware is.

Or is the issue that you want to render the world in 3D and make an actual 3D image of the ringworld?

Thanks. I just want a 2d map, and I should specify that I don't want a torus, basically I want a cylindrical shell with no top or bottom, like if you cut the ends off a can.