PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [Feat] Projection Mastery

Sønderjye
2014-06-13, 03:32 AM
Projection Mastery

You are a master of projecting your own image.

Prerequisite
Must be able to create projections .
For the purpose of this feat a projection is defined as an illusionary or quasi-real version of you

Benefit
At HD 1 Because the projection draws is based on your physical appearance instead of your memory of how a thing look they are difficult yo discern as an not real even if an onlooker is helped. Even if a viewer disbelieves a projection created by a character with this feat and communicates the details of the illusion to other creatures, those other creatures do not receive the normal +4 bonus on their saying throws to disbelieve the projection.
At HD 5 When using a spell of effect to create multiple projections you can choose to create one half more projection(for a total of 150%). If for instance if mirror image would summon 3 images it instead summons 4 images.
At HD 10 The creator can opt to make a more persistent kind of projection. If he choose to do so the a viewer cannot see trough the projection on a successful save although he still knows that it isn't real. This must be chosen at the time the projection is created. That is the projection doesn't become transparent.
At HD 15 If a spell, spelllike ability, supernatural ability or Magic item would discern a projection as being unreal it instead gives an immediate will save with a +5 bonus. Success indicates that the subject know the illusion is unreal while failure indicates that the subject perceives the illusion as real.
At HD 20 You can create projection even when you would usually not allowed to such as in an antimagic field.

Normal
Without this feat If an onlooker succeed his saving throw he can communicate the details for an ally to give this ally a +4 to the saving throw.
Without this feat illusions become transparent if a save is succeeded.

Figment Mastery

You are a master of projecting your own image.

Prerequisite
Caster level 7. Must be able to create figments.
In this context a figment is defined as an illusionary or quasi-real version of you or a spell with the [Figment] descriptor.

Benefit
At HD 1 Even if a viewer disbelieves a figment created by a character with this feat and communicates the details of the illusion to other creatures, those other creatures do not receive the normal +4 bonus on their saying throws to disbelieve the fpigment.
At HD 5 The creator can opt to make a more persistent kind of figment. If he choose to do so the a viewer cannot see trough the figment on a successful save although he still knows that it isn't real. This must be chosen at the time the figment is created. That is the figment doesn't become transparent.
At HD 10 When using a spell of effect to create multiple figments you can choose to create one half more figments(for a total of 150%). If for instance if mirror image would summon 3 images it instead summons 4 images.
At HD 15 If a spell, spelllike ability, supernatural ability or Magic item would discern a figment as being unreal it instead gives an immediate will save with a +5 bonus. Success indicates that the subject know the illusion is unreal while failure indicates that the subject perceives the illusion as real.
At HD 20 You can create projections even when you would usually not allowed to such as in an antimagic field.

Normal
Without this feat If an onlooker succeed his saving throw he can communicate the details for an ally to give this ally a +4 to the saving throw.
Without this feat illusions become transparent if a save is succeeded.

Loek
2014-06-13, 04:23 AM
Realistically, the only thing that needs to be said, to shoot this down is: "Shadowcraft mage".

In that they are already overpowered (and optimized to high hell) and thus figments don't need another boost. (There's also a fear mage whose name I can't currently recall that allowed him to add fear effects to figments... I think...)

But if you do want to continue with this (having bared shadowcraft mage or some such) I'd look at the following:
Feat description: Why mention creating "your own image" as quite a few figments focus on creating other images (in fact, I think out of the SRD, that mirror image is the only one that focuses on that...)
Prerequisites: currently anyone with a magic item with a CL of 7 or more could be argued to be able to take this feat (or at least a caster of 7th level with a figment item...) - Do you want this or should they be casting the figment (my preference).
Benefit: The 1 and 5 HD benifits are useless as "abilities gained at X HD", as anyone with a CL of 7 will be of at least 7 HD. Set those as the base abilities and describe the others as the increases you gain as you level. (Strangely formulated, but I can't think of how better to state this point...)
Spelling error: Currently people don't get a bonus against "pigments" (1 HD benefit), might want to change that.
Actual contents: the 5 and 20 HD benefits are quite powerful and quite possibly worth a feat each (or even epic feat for the 20 HD one) on their own.

The HD 1 benefit lacks logic. Why doesn't knowing benefit the save any more? While I can understand the boost you intend to give, I don't understand the change. Maybe add some fluff to describe why/how this changes?

The HD 5 benefit makes big illusions the perfect friends of anyone that wants to sneak attack (and similar abilities), while at the same time being the worst enemy of anyone that needs line of sight. Also, can allies see through your illusions? And how does this interact with the different magic viewing abilities (what pierces it, what doesn't?)

The HD 20 benefit is massive. Being able to do magic in anti magic should not be an "additional benefit" of any simple feat. Even if it is for just a limited (but highly useful) sub-school of magic.

I'm really sorry, but besides the initial idea, I can't find much good in this feat. Maybe if it was only images of yourself (as the feat description hints) it might actually work...

Sønderjye
2014-06-13, 04:57 AM
You are absolutely right, the figment definition is too large and doesn't fit with the description. I cut out the last part which should mean of less value to shadowcrafters.

Feat description: Originally I wanted to increase the number of images a character of mine could create with spells such as mirror image and instant diversion but it was feeling a bit weak so I thought of other ways to improve this kind of spells. This should make more sense now the definition of figment is changed. Also you could use major image and similar to create images of yourself.
Prerequisites: If someone is willing to invest a feat into using his wands better I think this should be allowed. Honestly I don't even know why I put a caster-level there, I just felt that it fitting it. Thoughts on removing or lowering the caster level?
Benefit: Good point. I will change this when sometime later today.

Again good point. I will add fluff to the 1HD part.

Allies are affected by the same terms as opponents for the purpose of seing through the illusion. Also now you can only make an illusion as big as yourself(Although I suppose you could build a wall of yourself with major image) so the possibilities of cover is limited. Everything that normally pierces illusion pierces this at least until 15HD. Do you still think it is too strong?

Hmm the 20HD might be too strong. Would a caster level check against DC 11+caster level of the magic-impairing effect be reasonable?

Loek
2014-06-13, 05:11 AM
Oh, I like it like this way better.

Realistically, I'd throw out the "Caster level 7" prerequisite, change the word figment (as it already has an in game meaning) and fluff up the HD 1 benefit. And I think you are ready to go.

The main risk of the original 5 HD ability was massive illusions to provide mobile cover. And even with your allies having the same problems seeing through them, they'd be perfectly tailored cover/battlefield (visually at least) shapers. But with the change of only making images of yourself, no (major) problems left.

In the current version (images of you only) I think you might be fine leaving the anti magic casting as is, (or do the 11 + spell level). With the original broader version I'd be tempted to do "CL + double spell level of anti magic + d20" vs "CL + figment spell level + d20" or something in that direction.

Sønderjye
2014-06-13, 07:23 AM
I like your ideas. Do you have more?

I choose to call it a projection.

You could enlarge yourself and thus provide cover for allies!

Would it be too strong if I removed the +5 from hd15 so true vision didn't get the bonus although still got an immediate save?