PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Psionic Power List

GoldStorm07
2014-06-13, 09:57 AM
Hello, I've been playing 3.5e for about 3 years now, and I've immersed myself in the Psionics. After much playing I've noticed a tangible discrepancy between the power levels of the psionic power list and the arcane spell list.

That is to say, no matter how powerful a psionic character becomes, he will never match the power of a high-rank Wizard, Cleric, or Druid, or rarely even a Sorcerer. The spell list is just better on all accounts. What's more, most of the best powers, such as Dominate, Metamorphosis, and Mind Blank, are all clones of preexisting spells. Because of all this, there is no real incentive to play a psionic adept when arcane casters exist.

My aim is to rebuild the Psionic Power List from the ground up with the following design points:
-To provide incentive to play psionic characters by creating abilities that arcanists do not have
-To remove as many as possible of the "cloned" aspects of the Power List to leave the New Power List differentiated from the spell list in terms of both flavor and mechanics
-To salvage and rework the best points of the existing power list, and give them the proper flavor of psychic power

My first step was to rejig the Psionic Disciplines and make them both unique and good. The Psychoportation discipline was very much a one-trick pony, so I recast it as the Psychorelativity discipline, which deals with manipulating one's own position relative to spacetime. This involves chronomancy/chronokinesis to a great extent.

I then removed the Egoist discipline, as shapeshifting has little precedence in the traditional lore of psychic powers. I would like to request assistance in drumming up ideas for new possible psionics disciplines as part of creating the new power list. Any support is greatly appreciated.