PDA

View Full Version : Does arcane channeling work with maneuvers like Steel wind and Mithril Tornado?

Masakan
2014-06-13, 01:03 PM
Just curious

Rebel7284
2014-06-13, 01:05 PM
Nope, they are all standard actions.

heavyfuel
2014-06-13, 01:57 PM
Not with these two. Since these maneuvers cost you your Standard Action to initiate, and using Arcane Channeling also costs you that, you can't use both in conjunction. I'm pretty sure some maneuvers let you use a full-attack (I could be dead wrong). If they do, and you're a 13 lv Duskblade, you could use the arcane channeling with it.

Note that the Prestige Class Spellsword (Complete Warrior, p. 79) lets you use its channeling ability as a Move action, and deliver the spell as part of an attack (which includes most maneuvers). Unfortunately, you need 4 lvs in a class that gets a bad rep for only giving you 1/2 caster progression (and 1/2 initiator lv). If your group is low OP, going for it might work if you REALLY want to channel spells with maneuvers, but usually a straight Warblade or Duskblade build will get you farther with much less hassle.

Edit: If you can convince your DM to let you use Pathfinder material, take a look at the Magus (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html). His Spellstrike ability works with an attack instead of a Standard action, so it will work with maneuvers. You'll have to backport it, but most alterations will needed to be made are with the Combat Maneuver system from PF that substituted the 3.5 rules for grappling, tripping and disarming. Forget that, it was assuming some things that aren't true, so it doesn't work.

Eldaran
2014-06-13, 02:23 PM
Edit: If you can convince your DM to let you use Pathfinder material, take a look at the Magus (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html). His Spellstrike ability works with an attack instead of a Standard action, so it will work with maneuvers. You'll have to backport it, but most alterations will needed to be made are with the Combat Maneuver system from PF that substituted the 3.5 rules for grappling, tripping and disarming.

No, the Magus does not work either. Spell Combat is a full round action, so definitely not compatible with any maneuver. Spellstrike is a free attack that comes from casting a touch spell, so also its own action and not part of a maneuver.

Techwarrior
2014-06-13, 02:33 PM
Pouncing Charge and Time Stands Still (or any other maneuver that allows a Full Attack) work if you manage to get one of those along with Full Attack Arcane Channeling.

Rebel7284
2014-06-13, 02:41 PM
Pouncing Charge and Time Stands Still (or any other maneuver that allows a Full Attack) work if you manage to get one of those along with Full Attack Arcane Channeling.

That particular combination, however, requires you to be level 24 at the very least.

heavyfuel
2014-06-13, 04:10 PM
Spellstrike is a free attack that comes from casting a touch spell, so also its own action and not part of a maneuver.

You're right, I haven't realized that until you mentioned it and I re-read the ability. I'll edit my post now.

Thanks!

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-14, 02:06 AM
No, the Magus does not work either. Spell Combat is a full round action, so definitely not compatible with any maneuver. Spellstrike is a free attack that comes from casting a touch spell, so also its own action and not part of a maneuver.

Magus spellstrike can sort of work if you are already holding the charge of a touch spell (and thus wielding the touch spell as a weapon) when you initiate a maneuver...I think.

Step one, hold charge (either from a touch spell cast on a previous round or a quickened touch spell)
Step two, initiate maneuver that lets you make an attack
Step three, attack with touch spell to deliver maneuver
Step four, replace touch spell attack with weapon attack

resolve weapon attack, resolve maneuver effects, resolve touch spell.

Pretty roundabout and you could've just used the maneuver and then cast the quickened touch spell instead (and would've actually dealt more damage because you'd be using your weapon for damage for the maneuver and AGAIN for the touch spell), but whatever. I guess on a multi-use touch spell like chill touch you'd actually get to use two instances of the touch spell in one turn (one to deliver the maneuver, and one more because technically you haven't used your free touch attack to deliver chill touch yet).

Snowbluff
2014-06-14, 02:09 AM
That particular combination, however, requires you to be level 24 at the very least.

Eternal Blade would circumvent the level requirements.

Fun fact: You can Full Channel while Shadow Pouncing.

Fun Fact2: I just realized that this may lead to recursive Shadow Pouncing.