PDA

View Full Version : Highest possible low level skill checks

Pandyman
2014-06-13, 01:49 PM
Ok, so I'm trying to make a skill optimized character. So I'm looking for suggestions to get the highest possible skill checks as early as possible, so I can hit a balance of 120 to balance on a cloud or a sleight of hand of 80 to make an object or willing creature disappear. Things that come into my mind are Factotum 3, Marshall 1, item familiar, masterwork skill item, and Oracle 1. Guidance of the avatar could also work, but I'm looking for options that work on more than a single skill check.

Edit: of course there are also the pacts from fiendish codex that could be used to sell the soul for skill check bonuses.

Darrin
2014-06-13, 02:11 PM
Ok, so I'm trying to make a skill optimized character. So I'm looking for suggestions to get the highest possible skill checks as early as possible, so I can hit a balance of 120 to balance on a cloud or a sleight of hand of 80 to make an object or willing creature disappear. Things that come into my mind are Factotum 3, Marshall 1, item familiar, masterwork skill item, and Oracle 1. Guidance of the avatar could also work, but I'm looking for options that work on more than a single skill check.

Edit: of course there are also the pacts from fiendish codex that could be used to sell the soul for skill check bonuses.

The Lightning Thief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?142080) covers Sleight of Hand. It could probably be reworked to do Balance instead. Maybe throw some Cleric levels in there for guidiance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a).

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-13, 02:22 PM
Ninja Spy 7 gives you skill mastery on some physical skills (balance, climb, jump, swim, tumble iirc), a +20 competence bonus to those skills, HiPS and Alter Self at will. Also sneak attack, some exotic weapon proficiencies and some other stuff. Not too bad for a mundane character.

Jump is boosted very easily. There's the Jump spell for +30 enhancement, a weapon enhancement somewhere for another +30 untyped, Leaping Dragon Stance (ToB) for another flat 10ft boost and a few smaller boni scattered around here and there. Not really much game use when you can fly but it is pretty cool from a fluff perspective.

Tumble doesn't really need more than hitting 40 reliably (for 10ft steps) which you get from Ninja Spy and a few ranks +dex.

For spells, Divine Insight adds up to +15 insight, Guidance of the Avatar adds +20 competence, Improvisation adds 1/2CL luck, Loresong(Dr335) adds 4+1/2CL and can be persisted.

Pandyman
2014-06-13, 02:39 PM
With a tumble of 100 you ignore falling damage from any height. But there's never been a situation where I've gotten into a horrible unavoidable fall.

sideswipe
2014-06-14, 06:56 AM
1 level dip in true namer will give you +5 to all skill checks with a successful utterance. +10 enhancement items. factotum ability to add level in factotum to skill.

if you have able learner then you don't need the level dip into true namer. just a feat. the requirement is skill ranks.

Gildedragon
2014-06-14, 10:10 AM
Let's see: I'm assuming dex mod +3, cha mod +4, and int mod +5
Illumian race with the improved sigils feat

7 ranks + 3 dex + 4 aura + 5 bob + 3 cunning knowledge + 3 sigil bonus + 2 tumble synergy+ 2 masterwork tool + 20 schema of guidance of the avatar, +1 bard's inspire courage + taking 10
We got 70... More than halfway to the balance goal

Now if one found a race or template with bonuses to balance, maybe this gets pushed up a bit. By 2, probably

Now if we went to level 10...
Cunning knowledge goes up by +6, ranks by +6, inspire courage by +1... But we're getting pretty close to having actual flight at this point.

Pandyman
2014-06-14, 01:01 PM
This is all really good stuff. If you shape soulmeld you can get additional bonuses depending on the soulmeld you pick. +2 and an additional +2 per point of essentia you invest.