PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a Gestalt Character?

firruna
2014-06-13, 02:28 PM
Playgrounders,
As the title suggests, I am looking for help with building Gestalt Character.
I've never tried it before, but my group is talking about trying it, and it sounds interesting, so I figured I would get started on a character in case we do.
I have always been a fan of the kick in the door, kill the monsters, and let the other members deal with the king afterwards style of character, and I think I want to stick with that, as the over all them, but mix it up a little.

I am thinking of doing a war forged, Fighter-Dungeonscape-Variant/Wizard to level 5, then take War Forged Juggernaut/Wizard to level 10, then finish it off with Eldritch Knight/Rogue the rest of the way.

I thinking this will give me the kick in the door attack power, with the ability to place some buffs on my self, and then for the last 10 levels I will get the sneak attack damage when flanking. Which shouldn't be all that rare if I take the feat Shocktrooper, so I can charge people, and move them into walls.

I feel this should work well, but as I have not played with Gestalt characters, wanted to get a few more opinions on it.

Kazudo
2014-06-13, 02:37 PM
Now, depending on your group there's a sticky situation with Gestalt and Prestige Classes. Most groups will either say:

1. No, you can't gestalt prestiges
2. You can gestalt prestiges but you have to prereq into it using one track or the other, not both
3. Whatever goes.

firruna
2014-06-13, 02:44 PM
Now, depending on your group there's a sticky situation with Gestalt and Prestige Classes. Most groups will either say:

1. No, you can't gestalt prestiges
2. You can gestalt prestiges but you have to prereq into it using one track or the other, not both
3. Whatever goes.

From what I know about my group, we will likely say 3. anything goes.
But on the off chance they don't, not sure what to replace Eldritch Knight with...

Kazudo
2014-06-13, 02:52 PM
Duskblade comes to mind.

firruna
2014-06-13, 02:57 PM
Duskblade comes to mind.

Sure, that could work, it would be instead of wizard, and just take it all the way, however, I have t have heavy armor for war forged juggernaut, so the Armored Mage class ability wouldn't work.
I'll look into it more, and talk with my group, Thanks.

Kazudo
2014-06-13, 03:08 PM
Sure, that could work, it would be instead of wizard, and just take it all the way, however, I have t have heavy armor for war forged juggernaut, so the Armored Mage class ability wouldn't work.

Well, actually if you can get 5 levels in Duskblade, you can take the feat out of Complete Arcana that increases the Armored Mage ability up a level from Medium to Heavy.

firruna
2014-06-13, 03:12 PM
Well, actually if you can get 5 levels in Duskblade, you can take the feat out of Complete Arcana that increases the Armored Mage ability up a level from Medium to Heavy.

Ok, cool. Then I think I will take Duskblade instead of Wizard/Eldritch Knight.

2014-06-13, 03:23 PM

There's a feat in Complete Arcane that will help there: Battle Caster (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/battle-caster--183/). If you can already use arcane spells in armor, it allows you to also use the next step up without needing to worry about ASF. It works great for a Warmage, which sounds like it might be a good class to consider. The focus on evocation might be hard to work around, though...