PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Talking Cats of Ulthar

CockroachTeaParty
2014-06-13, 02:42 PM
I've been putting together a Lovecraft-themed campaign; there are plenty of monsters taken straight from the pages of his is stories, but I've come across a bit of a puzzler and I thought I'd ask the forums for ideas.

Most of Lovecraft's creatures are clearly villains, but a few are potential allies. Among them are the talking cats of Ulthar. Essentially awakened cats with strange powers, I'm unsure how to stat them out.

Specifically, I plan on the party fighting a number of Zoogs early on, and the cats will help them with the fight.

So how do I stat them? Awakened cats with class levels? That would probably be the easiest. Are there any Lovecraft scholars out there with ideas? Gorf?

Gildedragon
2014-06-13, 03:01 PM
awakened cat psions is a good baseline

porting forward tibbits, ignoring their alternate shape (giving them maybe some natural psi powers) and going on with that

Now the stuff the cats of ulthar do in actual lovecraft works isn't much
they eat people
kill moonbeasts
travel to and from the moon (astral caravan power would fit nicely)

CockroachTeaParty
2014-06-13, 03:21 PM
So far I've got awakened cats with 2 levels of ranger; favored enemy magical beasts (the better to fight zoogs).

Bloodgruve
2014-06-13, 04:16 PM
Isnt there a cat race called Tibbit? may want to look there. props on the Lovecraft theme.

bah, swordsaged

Slipperychicken
2014-06-13, 07:18 PM
Warblade? They IHS gravity, which lets them jump to the moon.

More seriously, I would imagine that Carter's quest took place mostly in his personal dreamscape, with an excursion to the Dreamheart near the end. The variable physics and gravity allow the cats to leap to the moon, because that's how Carter dreams them to be.

atemu1234
2014-06-13, 08:29 PM
My recommendation is to make them rogues or some other dexterity-based class. That should do. I'm a lovecraft fan myself, so props.