PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Epic Templates

Kazudo
2014-06-13, 04:09 PM
In the SRD, there are two Epic Templates. The RAW Help Thread had these brought up. My question is thus:

Is there any RAW limitation that states that there are any restrictions on who can take an Epic Template if it's not covered in the template description itself? It's worth noting that at least one of the two actually lists a number of HD.

I'm aware that the Epic Level Handbook was 3.0e material, but is there any errata that has anything explaining that OR EVEN a Level Adjustment figured out, since LA and CR are pretty thoroughly divorced in 3.5?

Starmage21
2014-06-13, 04:17 PM
There was a chart in the Epic Level Handbook that had the ECLs for a number of the monsters that appeared in the ELH. You can extrapolate level adjustments from there usually by subtracting hit dice.

One of the common examples is the Demilich. The ECL was 33 and is a 21st level wizard. Subtract the 21 levels of wizard and you get +12, and since the Demilich template requires the lich template, you can take another 4. Leaving 8. The Demilich template has +8 LA.

Kazudo
2014-06-13, 04:28 PM
Gotcha. Whew. Thanks. Was making sure I wasn't reading blind stumbling drunk again.

Which would mean that the Pseudonatural Troll, with an ECL of 24, -6 Giant HD and -5 Troll LA, you'd get an LA of +13.
Meanwhile, with a Mindflayer Paragon, with an ECL of 26, -8 Aberration HD and -7 Mindflayer LA, you'd get an LA of +11.

+11 for max HP +12 per HD, triple speed, +29 AC, +25 to all attacks, +20 damage, +13 to any special attacks, +15 caster level to SLAs, Three SLAs at 3/day, A bunch of resistances, practically unbreakable DR, the ability to WRECK DR, +15 to all ability scores and more

That's not bad at all. And I've probably calculated it incorrectly to boot.

Starmage21
2014-06-13, 04:52 PM
Gotcha. Whew. Thanks. Was making sure I wasn't reading blind stumbling drunk again.

Which would mean that the Pseudonatural Troll, with an ECL of 24, -6 Giant HD and -5 Troll LA, you'd get an LA of +13.
Meanwhile, with a Mindflayer Paragon, with an ECL of 26, -8 Aberration HD and -7 Mindflayer LA, you'd get an LA of +11.

+11 for max HP +12 per HD, triple speed, +29 AC, +25 to all attacks, +20 damage, +13 to any special attacks, +15 caster level to SLAs, Three SLAs at 3/day, A bunch of resistances, practically unbreakable DR, the ability to WRECK DR, +15 to all ability scores and more

That's not bad at all. And I've probably calculated it incorrectly to boot.

If you're looking to abuse templates and such, I'm sure the Optimization guys could point you to some really good ones.

atemu1234
2014-06-13, 09:09 PM
If you're looking to abuse templates and such, I'm sure the Optimization guys could point you to some really good ones.

For example, take any and all +0 LA templates.

Kazudo
2014-06-14, 10:56 AM
Naw, I've done some template stacking to boot. And actually, if one were to make a Paragon Warforged, the LA would only be +9 if you layer on Incarnate Construct shortly afterwards.