PDA

View Full Version : Werecat Tibbits?

atemu1234
2014-06-13, 08:33 PM
I was wondering, when it comes to races like Tibbits (or catfolk), what would their hybrid form look like when they become werecats. Catfolk is more a nonissue, because housecats aren't their natural form, but what about Tibbits? Do the cat forms gain the template as well?

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-13, 08:43 PM
Pretty sure that, normally, most effects that grant multiple forms don't interact in the cosmetic way you are thinking. All of the passive benefits of lycanthrope template would work in house cat form, but I don't think you could get the benefits of the hybrid form without actually taking the hybrid form, which, to me, seems to preclude being in house cat form.

Polymorph issues get very complicated very quickly, so I'm betting this is down to a DM's call.

Necroticplague
2014-06-13, 08:45 PM
Well, the catform of a tibbit would probably not qualify for the lycanthropy they have in their human form, because of the whole "Within one size category" deal. the the hybrid form would be an entirely distinct form, seperate from their human form or their cat form. Since the human is default form, I would use the stats of that when determining the stats of their hybrid form.

Red Fel
2014-06-13, 08:50 PM
I was wondering, when it comes to races like Tibbits (or catfolk), what would their hybrid form look like when they become werecats. Catfolk is more a nonissue, because housecats aren't their natural form, but what about Tibbits? Do the cat forms gain the template as well?

Tibbits are Monstrous Humanoids. (Don't call them Monstrous to their faces.) Lycanthropy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) is a template that can only be added to Humanoids and Giants. Per the SRD:
Lycanthropes are humanoids or giants who can transform themselves into animals.

. . .

Lycanthropy can be spread like a disease. Sometimes a lycanthrope begins life as a normal humanoid or giant who subsequently contracts lycanthropy after being wounded by a lycanthrope.

"Lycanthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

By RAW, there are no Tibbit Lycanthropes.

That said, let's go beyond RAW. A Tibbit's natural form is its human form. Its Lycanthrope alternate forms would extend from that, not from its ittybittykittyform (which is an alternate form in its own category). Much like a Lycanthrope Druid's Wild Shape isn't impacted directly by Lycanthropy, Feline Form isn't impacted.

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-13, 09:00 PM
Good point, Red Fel. I keep forgetting that ignoring that template restriction is one of my houserules, lol. If only because there is almost no rhyme or reason behind some of the type distinctions.

Red Fel
2014-06-13, 09:05 PM
Good point, Red Fel. I keep forgetting that ignoring that template restriction is one of my houserules, lol. If only because there is almost no rhyme or reason behind some of the type distinctions.

Well, I agree that in some cases the distinction makes no sense, but in this case it's kind of merited. Tibbits are already Monstrous Humanoids with the (Shapechanger) subtype. They already share several features with the Lycanthrope (alternate form, Scent). Frankly, they're called catweres. They're almost Lycanthropes already.

It would be like a radioactive spider biting an ant instead of Peter Parker, and turning him into Spider-Ant. Honestly, it doesn't change him all that much. Yes, I know that ants are insects and spiders are arachnids. The two are unrelated. Much like Monstrous Humanoids and Lycanthropes are similar, but unrelated. Hence the analogy.

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-13, 09:40 PM
It would be like a radioactive spider biting an ant instead of Peter Parker, and turning him into Spider-Ant. Honestly, it doesn't change him all that much. Yes, I know that ants are insects and spiders are arachnids. The two are unrelated. Much like Monstrous Humanoids and Lycanthropes are similar, but unrelated. Hence the analogy.

WHAAAAAT?

You just blew my mind. I don't know what the idea is yet, but herein lies the genesis of something really awesome. Wait...radioactive viral lycanthropy passed by insects? No, no, that's not quite it.

Oh, yes. This is going in the zombie apocalypse-grade folder for awesome campaign seed ideas. I'm sure after sexy ant-spider man and compound werecreatures do their belly dance in my dreams tonight that I will have another gem for some unfortunate group my players to enjoy.