PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rogue Ideas

m149307
2014-06-13, 10:22 PM
Ok, so I am trying to build a rogue that does as much damage (sneak attack) as possible not dying in one hit. I have one of two routes that I was thinking of (am open to suggestions for the routes, or adding a route)
1. Using a Scimitar
Feats I am looking to take:
Telling Blow (PHBII)
TWF: (For more attacks and more delicious sneak damage)
Deep Impact: (To make up for the low BAB and - to hit cuz TWF)
Imp Crit
Daring Outlaw
Would probably go the route of psychic rogue/swordsage/swashbukler
(idk what else to add)

2. Being a whisper gnome with gnome quickrazors
Dip into Factotum(for iaijutsu)
TWF
Idk what else to add.

As always, help is always appreciated.

PS. I get more feats than usual (a feat at first level, then every even level after that 2, 4, etc). I also get a 12+int to skills instead of the score the class gives for rogues.

Also, any way to be immune to most, if not all the senses (like Lifesense, touchsight, etc) would be awesome since those are rampant in the campaign.

Donny_Green
2014-06-13, 10:48 PM
If you take 4 or 5 levels of warlock, or maybe supplemented warlock with uncanny trickster, you can pick up eldrich glaive which converts your eldrich blast into a melee touch attack with 10ft reach.
you also pick up a handful of roguish goodies like atwill detect magic, 3 or 4 good invocations including some with 24 hour durations, and best of all the ability to take a 10 on a UMD check.

Unfortunitly I don't think you can use eldrich glaive with twf, but for things like 24 hours of spider climb and invisiblity, it might be worth it.

m149307
2014-06-13, 10:54 PM
Yeah, using TWF with Glaive is a no. I wouldn't mind dipping for the Walk Unseen (invis) or the Fell Flight, but it is not worth going that far into Warlock. And since I can't use eldritch glaive with my sneak attack, it is not really appealing.

Donny_Green
2014-06-13, 11:01 PM
That's not true.. You can still use eldrich glaive with your sneak attack and weapon finesse, and the fact that it's warlock means you don't lose D6's.

Also if you look into uncanny trickster in complete scoundrel you really only need 2 or 3 levels of warlock to get 4 or 5 levels out of the build.

m149307
2014-06-13, 11:06 PM
But if I did do the warlock/rogue route, I would lose out on TWF, which I can deal more damage with over the eldritch glaive. And which skill tricks would you suggest for the uncanny trickster?

D4rkh0rus
2014-06-13, 11:40 PM
But if I did do the warlock/rogue route, I would lose out on TWF, which I can deal more damage with over the eldritch glaive. And which skill tricks would you suggest for the uncanny trickster?

thats not true. Warlock + hellfire warlock + uncanny trickster nets you about 19d6 per attack, + any other modifers. and a full attack with glaive is much better than a TWF attack, since eldritch bling has touch attacks...

if you REALLY want to dual wield, warlocks have eldritch claws from dragon mag.

immunity to senses is a hard one, im not sure theres any immunity to stuff like lifesense unless you spend a whole bunch of levels in classes or turn into a necropolitan.

for less magical senses (scent, tremorsense, etc) you can get darkstalker. it doesnt give immunity, but with a high hide/MS check, it might as well be immunity.

m149307
2014-06-13, 11:49 PM
Ok, and if I wanted to go with my two ideas (I like the warlock ideas, and will most likely incorporate that into my warlock that is a WIP). I just want to try and do a sneaky character now, not a flashy caster or warlocks or such. Just sneaky melee.

Also, my Hide/MS checks will be a +29-30 something around level 8 I think if I do it a certain way. So yeah, basically immunity. And turning into a necropolitan gives me the undead subtype, which makes me vulnerable to detect undead. I wish to hopefully be able to sneak attack someone who has those types of senses.

D4rkh0rus
2014-06-13, 11:52 PM
Ok, and if I wanted to go with my two ideas (I like the warlock ideas, and will most likely incorporate that into my warlock that is a WIP). I just want to try and do a sneaky character now, not a flashy caster or warlocks or such. Just sneaky melee.

Also, my Hide/MS checks will be a +29-30 something around level 8 I think if I do it a certain way. So yeah, basically immunity. And turning into a necropolitan gives me the undead subtype, which makes me vulnerable to detect undead. I wish to hopefully be able to sneak attack someone who has those types of senses.

so basically, what you want to do, is deal damages to those who would threaten to find you, and at the same time, be stealthy?

Factotum 8, Iaijutsu master 5 with Gnomish quickrazor says hi.
Sneak attack is vulnerable to an incredible amount of things, and the only way to make it work is to take 3 lvls of rouge and cutting it in half. yes, in half. Penetrating strike. Its a better idea to invest in Iaijutsu focus with gnomish quickrazors and quick draw. Factotum givs you extra standard actions for more attacks too.

as a matter of fact, I cannot think any situation that a character could be in where the rogue would be strictly better than the factotum.

Donny_Green
2014-06-13, 11:57 PM
I hear ya.

Okay as a final though look into invisible blade in the complete warrior.

As far as skill tricks go, it really depends on what will help your build the most, but as a general rule the movement skill tricks usually kick ass. Also there might be some useful tricks in under manipulation and interaction.

m149307
2014-06-14, 12:19 AM
Horus, I think I addressed the ways that could impact the sneak attack (the quick razors work with iaijutsu, and every time I use them I make the opp flat footed) which means instant iai+sneak i think. So think of it like this: 2d6-6d6 for iai. 2d6 lets say for sneak attack (this is without going into swordsage or swashbuckler for more shenanigans). So that is anywhere from 4d6-8d6 per hand (use two razors with TWF) and that goes to a max of 16d6 depending on the iai roll. That there is at a low level. And with out a +6 BAB. That is why I want to go sneak attack because there are so many ways to increase it. And if I can use it on any enemy for any reason(I will be limiting those reasons down as I get closer to level 20) I will just leave it for the group to fight while I am sitting in the background.

And Donny, i will look through the skill tricks to see what I like since I have never used them. Should be fun lol.

m149307
2014-06-14, 07:40 AM
bumping for help