PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kobold scale colour- Draconic Aspect exclusive?

Ylsid
2014-06-14, 12:38 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-kobold

So my friend made a kobold sorcerer for laughs and we were having an argument about whether or not he should also have the "Kobold Scale Coloration" race traits as well as the Draconic Aspect racial feat. I say he should as nowhere in that feat's description does it say he can no longer use the Kobold Scale Colouration traits. Rather, it just changes his scale colour which should mean that as long as he still has a scale colour, he should be granted the racial traits described. I suppose what is most confusing here is how it's listed in a seperate category to the racial traits and racial feats and it would make sense if his kobold kept said abilities as it doesn't lose the scale colouration upon taking Draconic Aspect.
Thoughts?

Deophaun
2014-06-14, 12:56 PM
The "Kobold Scale Coloration" is not a bonus or feature of the race. It is simply a guide that says "Kobolds with X color tend to have Y traits." The kobold character does not get these traits for free, and is not bound to take them. As it states:

Kobolds characters are not restricted from taking traits from another color, though the following traits are typical of each color, and considered prestigious.

Ylsid
2014-06-14, 01:13 PM
The "Kobold Scale Coloration" is not a bonus or feature of the race. It is simply a guide that says "Kobolds with X color tend to have Y traits." The kobold character does not get these traits for free, and is not bound to take them. As it states:

So, provided he has GM permission he can give himself the relevant extra scale colour stuff regardless of what racial traits/feats he has as small bonuses?

Deophaun
2014-06-14, 01:51 PM
So, provided he has GM permission he can give himself the relevant extra scale colour stuff regardless of what racial traits/feats he has as small bonuses?
Well yes, but it's not so much that he needs permission as he just needs the DM to not say "no." Slightly different. By default, if he's allowed traits, RAW lets him take any of those traits he wants.