PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dwarf fighter build

YeOldeGrandma
2014-06-14, 12:44 PM
What do you think of this Dwarf Fighter build? Books available: PH1, PH2, Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Dwarf Fighter - great weapon fighter
Level 7 (this is a replacement character in case my current character in the campaign dies)

Str: 18
Con: 18
Dex: 11
Int: 8
Wis: 13
Cha: 10

HP: 69

Feats:
- Potent Challenge
- Armour prof: plate
- Improved initiative
- Master at Arms

Gear:
Plate armour, maul, battleaxe, dagger, throwing hammer

At-wills:
Cleave
Reaping Strike

Encounters:
Steel Serpent Strike
Crushing Blow
Come And Get It

Dailys:
Comeback Strike
Rain of Steel

Utility Powers:
Boundless Endurance
Unbreakable

The plan is straightforward: Get into the thick of it and smash things while absorbing the damage coming in return (Comeback Strike etc). I was thinking of replacing some feat with something like Disciple of Stone to further increase my ability to take damage.

EDIT: Up until now, I've only used powers from the Player's Handbooks. How do the powers described in HotFL work? It looks like something added on, with stances (for fighters) and so on.

Kurald Galain
2014-06-14, 02:01 PM
The go-to book for fighters is not HOFL, it's Martial Power (and to a lesser extent, Martial Power 2).

Your feats could use some work. Potent Challenge is too situational; there's easier ways to get damage bonuses that apply to all your attacks, instead. Master At Arms is decent, but it's generally better to take the expertise feat tailored to your favorite weapon. Plate Armor Proficiency is not worth the feat; you can get bigger bonuses for the same price (in general, don't take any feat that gives only a +1 bonus, except if it's an expertise feat).

Lastly, the best daily powers are those that last the entire encounter (or at least most of it), which for the fighter means either stances or things like Villain's Menace. Comeback Strike is not that impressive.