PDA

View Full Version : Optimize my spellscale bard

WarKitty
2014-06-14, 02:56 PM
Ok so I suddenly found my character bumped up to a higher optimization level of play than I'm used to. I want to play a buffer bard with a secondary focus on either mind-control or illusions. Flaws are allowed, looking for general ideas on improving my utility and other such things.

Sheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=924379

Irk
2014-06-14, 04:59 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. Lemme see what I can pull together.

Irk
2014-06-14, 06:25 PM
I don't really know if there is all that much you can do at level 1. Dragonfire Inspiration is going to give everyone +1d6, which is pretty good, but I can't imagine you doing to much else, which could be frustrating. There is of course Bardic Knowledge, which is always valuable.

However, in later levels, perhaps consider something like Crsuader 5/Bard 8/Seeker of the Song 2 with Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of Heart, Words of Creation, Song of the White Raven, Easy Metamagic, Chain Spell (or Melodic Casting, to taste), Heighten Spell and Sanctum Spell. Equipment should be a Harmonizing Weapon a Wand Chamber with Inspirational Boost, a Badge of Valor, and a Vest of Legends. This will let you get around +11d6+11 damage on each attack as well as the Spellscale Arcane Inspiration (Harmonizing + Combined Song) for free Chained buffs (or mind control spells) or spells like Charm Person at +5 DC. In addition, Seeker of the Songs provides a pretty good mook-clearing ability in Burning Melody, Refrain, which, at 15th level, is a DC 28 (assuming max ranks in perform) effect that deals 6d6 fire damage. Also, White Raven Tactics, along with a host of other Boosts, Counters, Stances, and Strikes.

Now that's all well and awesome, but we're looking at level 1, and what I presented above is not as relevant.
Lets look what we can do there.

I would actually go with the following combination (considering flaws): Unnatural Aura (trait), Marital Study (Vanguard Strike), Shape Soulmeld (Brass Mask), Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation) or Dragonfire inspiration.

This is actually a pretty good configuration. It will grant you +10 intimidate at level 1 (that sort of "mind-control" component) and grants you access to Vanguard Strike to help your allies. the last is really up to you. Psionic Minor Creation is great utility, and has the ever popular poison option for things like Black Lotus Extract, which could insure your survival at these low levels. retrain it as soon as you can get Words of Creation and Inspirational Boost. However, Dragonfire Inspiration is still that global +3.5 damage which could really make a difference. Martial Study grants you intimidate as a class skill, by the way.
As for Cantrips, I would select Prestidigitation and Summon Instrument. You said higher optimization than you were comfortable with, well Summon Instrument can be sued to summon a Grand Piano above your enemies to crush them. Someone did the math out at one point, and it is an effective low-level tactic. 'Minor Wish' is just really good for everything.

paperarmor
2014-06-14, 07:07 PM
how about sublime chord? gets you 9ths off the Wiz/Sorc Spell list.

Troacctid
2014-06-14, 10:20 PM
You said higher optimization than you were comfortable with, well Summon Instrument can be sued to summon a Grand Piano above your enemies to crush them. Someone did the math out at one point, and it is an effective low-level tactic.

Summon Instrument only summons handheld instruments, and it summons them in your hands, or at your feet if your hands are full.

WarKitty
2014-06-14, 11:31 PM
how about sublime chord? gets you 9ths off the Wiz/Sorc Spell list.

Costs me my inspirational goodness though, which is really the role for this character.

I really don't have the stats for crusader either, it's a nice idea but with a low str and con I'm just not going to be very good.

Really especially looking for feat support for bards, I'm not finding much other than DFI that isn't just sort of meh.

Sith_Happens
2014-06-15, 01:54 AM
Costs me my inspirational goodness though, which is really the role for this character.

None of the music after Inspire Greatness is anything special, and with a Vest of Legends you'll only be missing out on one point of Inspire Courage.

Really especially looking for feat support for bards, I'm not finding much other than DFI that isn't just sort of meh.

Melodic Casting (Complete Mage) is pretty much mandatory, it lets you cast while maintaining your music and substitute Perform for all casting-related functions of Concentration.

Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting) boosts every Bard song known to man, and some known only to dolphins.

Jack of All Trades (Complete Adventurer) technically doesn't work with the Bardic Knack ACF (PHBII), but fixing that is an extremely sensible houserule and if your DM goes for it then it's a fun way to instantly be a skillmonkey on top of everything else.

Versatile Spellcaster is made of awesome.

Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin) will make every caster in the party love you, but you need to add Intimidate as a class skill to get it before high level which will cost another feat (Martial Study being the best option).

Haunting Melody (Heroes of Horror, ECS) is a nice fear effect that stacks with any your teammates might be using.

Draconic Heritage is accessible as a bonus feat by dipping Dragonblood Sorcerer, and can change your DFI damage to acid or sonic so you don't get screwed by resistance/immunity nearly as often.

A lot of people swear by Lingering Song (Complete Adventurer), but I'm not of them; if five rounds isn't more than enough already then you're doing it wrong.

Lastly, Words of Creation (BoED) is broken-good if you qualify for it. Double Inspire Courage bonus? Thank you, come again.

WarKitty
2014-06-15, 02:41 AM
Hmmm, what are all my options for classes that stack with bard for bardic music? I missed that sublime chord does stack, which means it's definitely a higher option. I've gotten dragonblooded with force damage ok'd, which should help me out a lot.