PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a way to get a Dire Wolf with the Shadow or Dark or both templates?

Wolfsraine
2014-06-14, 04:39 PM
Wondering if there is a way to get a Dire Wolf with the Shadow or Dark or both templates as an animal companion or cohort. The character I'm playing is basically a rogue type that will eventually become a telflammar shadow lord. He has a slight obsession with the plane of shadow and being able to slip in and out of places un-noticed.

Anywho, I'm writing up a backstory for him and was wondering if there were any possible way to get the aforementioned wolf as a companion? If so, I have no idea at all what its stats would look like, or what abilities or attacks it would have, would it be able to communicate with me via speech? Do i need Handle Animal ranks?

I'm a total noob basically and need some help figuring this out, if it's even possible. I mean, anything is possible with a little coercing of the DM, but I would like to try and do it as "by the book" as possible before bringing it up to him.

I wanted to write it into the story as a companion that I may have come across when doing the ritual to have the Shadow walker template bestowed to me by the priests of Thesk. Something along those lines.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-14, 04:53 PM
Can it wear a continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis? Tome of Magic pg156, grants the Dark Template. Don't know the rules of animals wearing magical items, but I don't think it should be a problem, since it's not command activated. 22k gp

sleepyphoenixx
2014-06-14, 05:09 PM
Most creatures can wear the same items that humanoid creatures can. Some lack certain slots, depending on their shape (no boots for snakes). There's a list in the MIC.

Wolfsraine
2014-06-14, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out that list.

On a side note, if I'm riding said wolf, are we both considered each others ally and are we both adjacent to the same creatures?

Forrestfire
2014-06-14, 05:15 PM
The definition of 'ally' in 3.5 is fairly lenient. You're considered to be the ally of anyone who considers you an ally. You consider anyone you consider an ally to be an ally (including yourself). So yes, you can consider each other allies unless one of you wants to consider the other an enemy.

When you're riding the wolf, you share the space of it, and are considered to be adjacent to anything the wolf is.