PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I think I broke my character at level two

Shadowscale
2014-06-14, 06:09 PM
I'm playing a second level gnome bard/cleric in my brothers runelords pathfinder game. It's a party of three with a barbarian and sword and board fighter so I tried multiclassing bard cleric and I'm not sure it really worked. Using the core rulebook is there anyway someone could help me fix it so I stay more useful as we're going all the way up to level 20

Gnome bard cleric
Strength 12
Dexterity 14
Constitution 20
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 14
Charisma 20

Domains Strength/Charm
weapon: rapier/whip
armor: chain shirt/large iron shield
feat: Weapon finesse

I was thinking maybe trying some form of either assassin or porting in divine prankster (got an exception for that one) I really need help filling out the party while at the same time being as useful as I can be. Help would really be appreciated. Playing again tomorrow.

Spore
2014-06-14, 06:12 PM
Ask your DM to become a Divine Evangelist, pure classed.

Shadowscale
2014-06-14, 06:20 PM
Ask your DM to become a Divine Evangelist, pure classed.

Anyway if I have to stick with I currently have to make optimal improvements in the future class/improvement wise?

Don't know how to maximize my ability modifiers.

Am open to any ideas. Also evangelist isn't core rulebook.

grarrrg
2014-06-14, 10:17 PM
or porting in divine prankster (got an exception for that one)

Am open to any ideas. Also evangelist isn't core rulebook.

Then ask for an exception :smalltongue:

One option is to ask if you can either switch to full-Cleric or full-Bard.
The other is to stick with what you've got.

Another is to ask for an exception to use the Evangelist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/evangelist) Archetype for Cleric.
It's basically Cleric with Bard-Performances, which is kinda what you're doing now, just less wonky.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-14, 11:59 PM
Worst case, write one of the levels off (probably cleric, given your stats) and keep going with the other. It's not the end of the world, especially as you're the only caster in the party.

sideswipe
2014-06-15, 08:56 AM
well the cleric dip is always good. a few low level divine spells are always handy. prepare some detect magics and other useful orisons (0 levels) and a couple of good first level useful spells rather then battle spells. this allows you to make room on your bard list for nice higher level spells since you get all cleric spells but you have a limited selection of bard.

the domains can give you a buff and i believe the charm domain is the charisma buff once a day? so good buffs there.
and you get a reasonably powerful turn undead with your high charisma, so until level 4-5 it will still be very useful.

but just continue with bard now. one lost caster level, though not optimised, is not the end of the world, especially since it is a cleric dip.

how core? only players handbook? or players handbook and complete series? are you allowed dungeon masters guide prestige classes?

grarrrg
2014-06-15, 10:05 AM
the domains can give you a buff and i believe the charm domain is the charisma buff once a day? so good buffs there.
and you get a reasonably powerful turn undead with your high charisma, so until level 4-5 it will still be very useful.

Pathfinder thread.

Most of it is still applicable to PF though. The main difference is that while you'll have many uses of Channel Energy, and the Save DC for undead will be high, it will stay stuck at 1d6 damage. So it's more useful for out of combat top-offs of the party.

sideswipe
2014-06-15, 10:16 AM
Pathfinder thread.

Most of it is still applicable to PF though. The main difference is that while you'll have many uses of Channel Energy, and the Save DC for undead will be high, it will stay stuck at 1d6 damage. So it's more useful for out of combat top-offs of the party.

my bad, didn't notice it.

Spore
2014-06-15, 11:13 AM
I know a single class dip isn't bad. But it still hurts in the lower end of levels. So probably for at least 3-4 more levels. You delay your BAB, your caster level, your inspire courage, your everything. Tell your DM that you would like to change your character. You made a mistake and you want to change it.

With which background did you start?

Faily
2014-06-15, 05:26 PM
I'd ask the GM for permission to retrain either to the Evangelist archetype for Cleric, or just to become some sort of divinely inspired Bard instead (so you can 2 levels in Cleric or Bard instead of being switched).

You could perhaps aim to get to Mystic Theurge someday as Bard/Cleric, which could be kinda fun, but would involve many levels of not being that good, and it would hurt your Bardic-abilities in the end, though fluff-wise could be amusing. Depending on how you like to play it.

But as others say, 1 level isn't the end of the world.