PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Playing Ponyfinder

Alex12
2014-06-14, 08:56 PM
My group just started a Pathfinder game, having switched over from 3.5, and I managed to convince the DM to let me use Ponyfinder (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/125583/Ponyfinder--Campaign-Setting).
One session in, and I am loving it. I'm playing a Pegasus Sorcerer with the Unification bloodline (it's a pony bloodline that turns you into an alicorn, and ends with you becoming a magic pony prince/princess), and with a bunch of pony feats. I pretty much scrapped all the book's history in favor of stuff from the show, with Equestria as an alternate Prime and my character having fallen victim to a magical accident involving a magic mirror universe portal.
Ponies are Fey, and get some cool bonuses- having a fly speed at level 1 is awesome, even if it is clumsy maneuverability (though there's a feat that increases fly speed by 10 and maneuverability by one step each time you take it).
Has anyone else played with this one? What did you do? What did you think?

ryu
2014-06-14, 09:02 PM
My group just started a Pathfinder game, having switched over from 3.5, and I managed to convince the DM to let me use Ponyfinder (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/125583/Ponyfinder--Campaign-Setting).
One session in, and I am loving it. I'm playing a Pegasus Sorcerer with the Unification bloodline (it's a pony bloodline that turns you into an alicorn, and ends with you becoming a magic pony prince/princess), and with a bunch of pony feats. I pretty much scrapped all the book's history in favor of stuff from the show, with Equestria as an alternate Prime and my character having fallen victim to a magical accident involving a magic mirror universe portal.
Ponies are Fey, and get some cool bonuses- having a fly speed at level 1 is awesome, even if it is clumsy maneuverability (though there's a feat that increases fly speed by 10 and maneuverability by one step each time you take it).
Has anyone else played with this one? What did you do? What did you think?

Just so long as you keep in mind that Celestia has a very convincing argument for being evil in much the same way D&D's Pelor the Burning Hate does.

Coidzor
2014-06-14, 09:14 PM
You're the first I've heard of actually having played Ponyfinder. Hope you enjoy it all. :smallsmile:

I must admit, part of me was hoping that the Unification Bloodline would only create female Alicorns regardless of the sex of the character prior to their apotheosis...XD

Alex12
2014-06-14, 09:39 PM
Just so long as you keep in mind that Celestia has a very convincing argument for being evil in much the same way D&D's Pelor the Burning Hate does.
That's not an interpretation I subscribe to, particularly given the comics. Flawed? I can agree with that. But evil? I think if she were evil, her mirror universe counterpart wouldn't be quite so obviously evil. Besides, even if I did, my character doesn't.

You're the first I've heard of actually having played Ponyfinder. Hope you enjoy it all. :smallsmile:
Yep. We're running through Council of Thieves, so I'm hoping. I'm the party face, since there's only two of us in the group with positive Charisma modifiers, and I'm the one with Diplomacy as a class skill and actual ranks in it.
I've already told the group that once we're done with this one (and my turn in the DM rotation comes up) I'm not only allowing, but encouraging ponies.

I must admit, part of me was hoping that the Unification Bloodline would only create female Alicorns regardless of the sex of the character prior to their apotheosis...XD

Nope. Though oddly enough, because of the time limits for the racial traits you pick up, Unicorn actually seems to be the worst starting race for that bloodline.

Also, there's not one but two different kinds of robot ponies. Which is awesome.

Raven777
2014-06-14, 11:33 PM
We're running through Council of Thieves, so I'm hoping.

Wait wait wait wait wait... wait. You're running ponies through actual PF Adventure Paths? Ore you're the only Pony with a regular party of Elves and Dwarves? What is this madness? Why is this so awesome?

Alex12
2014-06-14, 11:57 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait... wait. You're running ponies through actual PF Adventure Paths? Ore you're the only Pony with a regular party of Elves and Dwarves? What is this madness? Why is this so awesome?

I'm the only pony, but we're not exactly a regular party of elves and dwarves. We've got 1 party member that's a core race, everyone else is something weird.
We've got a Blue Cryptic, being played as a paranoiac like the Question from the JLU show. We've got a Forgeborn Aegis with 4 Charisma, who's roleplaying it well. There's a Grippli Gunslinger who may or may not ride me while I fly overwatch at some point. There's me, obviously, the Pegasus Unification-blooded Sorcerer from another Prime Material Plane. The token human is an Inquisitor of Iomedae with no ranks in Knowledge(religion).

So to summarize, we've got a psychic paranoiac goblin, a psychic cyborg with armor make of psychic power, an anthropomorphic treefrog with a gun, a magic pony, and a divine caster who occasionally forgets the name of his goddess.

With the DM's permission, I refluffed one of the pony traits to mean that, along with everything else, I've got a touch of Gallopfreyan blood from Doctor Whooves. It has also been established that I poop rainbow, though this could just mean that I have Prestidigitation and like messing with people.

Coidzor
2014-06-15, 01:38 AM
I can only guess at the reactions of the Hellknights and Deathknights and Tieflings.

And normal people too, for that matter.

weckar
2014-06-15, 07:49 AM
Every opponent will be making SAN checks. Those don't exist in Pathfinder? You just forced them.

Alex12
2014-06-15, 07:51 AM
I can only guess at the reactions of the Hellknights and Deathknights and Tieflings.

And normal people too, for that matter.

Well, the fact that I'm a Charisma-focused character putting max ranks in Diplomacy, which is a class skill, probably makes things easier. I mean, yeah, I'm a weird race with a bit of a screwy outlook, but I'm nice, and friendly, and basically just kind of confused and want to go home. The DM did tell me that "Fortunately for you, it was the Order of the Scourge Hellknights tasked with... determining what you are, and whether or not you pose a threat to the status quo. Though the Order of the Rack would most likely have tried to enslave you and break you for warmaking purposes, the Hellknights of the Scourge decided that you were more trouble than you're worth after the city guard started cracking jokes about the type of knight required to turn a stableload of poop rainbow-colored." So I got sold to a local horse trader. They forgot to mention to him that I'm sapient.
It does give me an in with Gorvio, since said horse trader is his uncle Jacovo, and now I'm working for him by basically showing off and giving rides (because seriously, magical talking pegasus, you can't tell me that's not an amazing advertisement)

I will have to be careful about being seen doing anything potentially illegal, since it's not like I can blend into the crowds ("No, sir, it must have been another dark blue Pegasus who beat up your patrol") . OTOH, that's true of almost everyone in the group.'

weckar
2014-06-15, 07:56 AM
Should've gone gunslinger with the Pony. Just because.

Alex12
2014-06-15, 08:15 AM
Should've gone gunslinger with the Pony. Just because.

There's a great archetype for exactly that. It's called Mobile Cannon, and it allows you to use the extra carrying capacity from being quadrupedal. You basically wear oversized two-handed guns on a rack on your back, and can load and use them effectively. Two Large-sized two-handed guns, useable at the same time? Yes please!

For my next pony character, I'm having trouble deciding between Mystic Prancer (Bard Archetype, basically Pinkie Pie) and Mobile Cannon.

grarrrg
2014-06-15, 10:11 AM
...and a divine caster who occasionally forgets the name of his goddess.

SWORDS FOR THE SWORD GODDESS!
GLORY FOR THE GLORY THRONE!
Line!

Alex12
2014-06-16, 07:05 PM
What I'm really looking forward to are a couple of spells, specifically Pegasus Blessing and Rainbow Wings. Pegasus Blessing is one of the Unification bloodline spells, and is specifically stated to be "as per fly" except it also grants the target butterfly wings for the duration. I'm planning on casting it on the biggest, toughest, manliest character I can find. Rainbow Wings, on the other hoof, is a self-only hour/level buff that augments (but does not grant) flight. Speed increases by five feet per 2 caster levels up to a max of 30 feet at level 10, and maneuverability increases by 1 step per 5 caster levels to a max of 2 steps at level 10. The side effect is that "Flying while this spell is in effect causes a rainbow of otherworldly hues to trail behind the spellcaster." Not gonna lie, the rainbow trail is a nontrivial part of the reason I'm taking it.

Coidzor
2014-06-16, 08:23 PM
What I'm really looking forward to are a couple of spells, specifically Pegasus Blessing and Rainbow Wings. Pegasus Blessing is one of the Unification bloodline spells, and is specifically stated to be "as per fly" except it also grants the target butterfly wings for the duration. I'm planning on casting it on the biggest, toughest, manliest character I can find. Rainbow Wings, on the other hoof, is a self-only hour/level buff that augments (but does not grant) flight. Speed increases by five feet per 2 caster levels up to a max of 30 feet at level 10, and maneuverability increases by 1 step per 5 caster levels to a max of 2 steps at level 10. The side effect is that "Flying while this spell is in effect causes a rainbow of otherworldly hues to trail behind the spellcaster."

Sound like fun, but I gotta admit, I'd have expected the two spells to have their names switched. xD

Not gonna lie, the rainbow trail is a nontrivial part of the reason I'm taking it.

Of course! :smallamused:

magwaaf
2014-06-16, 09:30 PM
oh man i hope whoever owns my little pony sues them... f'in bronies

Alex12
2014-06-16, 09:41 PM
Sound like fun, but I gotta admit, I'd have expected the two spells to have their names switched. xD

That would make sense, yes. But they didn't do that for some reason.

One of my goals for this character is to be the fastest thing in the sky. Max ranks in Fly from level 1, and every free feat slot is going to Dashing Flyer (+10 to existing fly speed, increase maneuverability by one step, can be taken multiple times).
I'm mainly going to be focusing on nonlethal takedowns and debuffs, as well as light- and rainbow-based effects. Color Spray, the Prismatic line, and Blast of Harmony (yes, of course that's a thing) are all going to feature.
Maybe it's stereotypical, but hey, somepony needs to show Asmodeus the power of rainbows, sunshine, happiness, and harmony!
On a side note, roleplaying the Naive drawback with someone from a comparatively utopian society is fun.

Seclora
2014-06-16, 09:46 PM

Same folks that own WotC oddly enough, Hasbro.

Personally, I think the idea of seeing any Equestrian pony in a D&D setting is hilarious and terrifying. Good luck, and don't spend more than half your bits on any single item =P

Alex12
2014-06-16, 09:48 PM

Personally, I think the idea of seeing any Equestrian pony in a D&D setting is hilarious and terrifying. Good luck, and don't spend more than half your bits on any single item =P

This is relevant (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2857/mystaras-little-ponies-friendship-is-adventuring)

Coidzor
2014-06-16, 09:50 PM

I mean, they probably cause SAN damage to certain beings, but then things like evisceration and torture probably cause them SAN damage.

tzar1990
2014-06-16, 09:57 PM

I've actually looked this up (although neither my friends nor my local game stores have a copy I can actually read) and it seems entirely legal - the reviews mention that all the art is original, and anything from the show has been papered over with a layer of "wink wink, nudge nudge". You could totally use it to run the show, and you could likely even do it fairly accurately, but none of Hasbro's intellectual property is used.

Snowbluff
2014-06-16, 11:58 PM

So double lawsuits for the ponies and 3.5 rules. :smalltongue:

Anywho, I'd play a ponyfinder game if someone would run one. XD

Yanisa
2014-06-17, 12:14 AM
Anywho, I'd play a ponyfinder game if someone would run one. XD

I know that feeling, I bought the book despite knowing I will never run or play it (stupid pony hating friends). I even tossed enough money at the kicker starter to get my own race and place in the book. :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-06-17, 12:22 AM
I know that feeling, I bought the book despite knowing I will never run or play it (stupid pony hating friends). I even tossed enough money at the kicker starter to get my own race and place in the book. :smalltongue:

Which race is it?

Yanisa
2014-06-17, 05:50 AM
Which race is it?

The Phoenix Wolves. :smallredface:

grarrrg
2014-06-17, 10:20 AM
I mean, they probably cause SAN damage to certain beings, but then things like evisceration and torture probably cause them SAN damage.

Given the existing crazy-as-all-get-out things that can exist/you can do in PF, I don't think a talking Pegasus that poops rainbows will stand out all that much.

dysprosium
2014-06-17, 10:56 AM
My wife is playing an MLP unicorn Totemist 6 right now in our latest real life 3.P game. We play in the world from War of the Burning Sky (the War is over but I like the campaign setting a lot). She is a refugee from Equestria. She is one of a bunch of ponies that were transported to the campaign world by accident. She is having fun with it so far.

Coidzor
2014-06-17, 01:06 PM
Given the existing crazy-as-all-get-out things that can exist/you can do in PF, I don't think a talking Pegasus that poops rainbows will stand out all that much.

I suppose that partially depends upon whether they look like equines do in PF or if they're the uncanny valley of equines like in the show(s)/dolls.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-17, 01:13 PM
According to the artwork on the cover, they closer resemble normal equines, just candy colored.

grarrrg
2014-06-17, 08:02 PM
I suppose that partially depends upon whether they look like equines do in PF or if they're the uncanny valley of equines like in the show(s)/dolls.

Even then, they at least have discernible anatomies, unlike certain "creepy" or weird monsters.

Alex12
2014-06-28, 01:32 PM
Even then, they at least have discernible anatomies, unlike certain "creepy" or weird monsters.

They're frankly significantly less weird than a good number of aberrations.

Second session as a pony happened last night.
As I said, we're running through Council of Thieves, though I'm about 60% sure the DM is taking certain liberties.

Anyway, after recruiting a new party member and losing a couple others (RL concerns meant they couldn't make it) we had to rescue a cleric of Iomedae from the clutches of the Order of the Rack as they transferred him to their fortress for further interrogation.
After about a half-hour of planning, we worked out our plan. The Cryptic would use his skills at trapmaking and such to sabotage a bridge over a river, hiding underneath it. The weight of the carriage they were using would hopefully break the bridge, dropping the carriage into the river (but not on him). Our plan was that it would float away, guided by the Cryptic, to be caught by our fighter/rogue and our inquisitor, who would be on a boat "fishing" downstream. I'd be flying overwatch.
The Cryptic had a canoe in case of emergencies, so he could open up the carriage, rescue the cleric if needed, and they could get away downstream into the relatively marshy areas where armored men on horseback would have trouble.

Needless to say, complications ensued.

Turns out the carriage wasn't wood like we were assuming it would be. It was iron, and did not float. It broke through the bridge, all right, and was so heavy it sunk into the bottom. And it had a dude with a ballista on top. Fortunately, the Cryptic is good at Stealth, and had a camouflage power up, so his Stealth was effectively "sufficient." But his skill at opening locks was less so. Also, the bridge collapse alerted the guards to an ambush. I decided to improvise. I, playing the part of the helpful bystander, flew past and started yelling that it was goblins and that I saw them running away upstream. I headed that way myself. The gambit paid off, and something like half a dozen of the guards took off following me and my shouts.
That just left three guards, which the rest of the party was able to bypass to get the cleric and escape, thanks in part to a lucky crit on a readied action from a longbow at 200 feet, knocking one of the guards into the negatives, which the other two were probably trying to save him as the party and cleric fled. I'm guessing he's probably okay, though deeply unhappy.
Meanwhile, I led the mounted and armored Hellknights following me into the marshiest, most difficult terrain I could find, making sure I was going slow enough that they could follow. Then I yelled out that I'd lost the goblins and put my 40 foot fly speed to full use to fly away, easily losing the guards and heading back to Westcrown. I've already got my cover story. Since I'm decently well-known in the town (being the only talking blue pegasus pony in, as far as I know, the world) as working for Jacovo, and his nephew and my friend Gorvio has expressed an interest in learning magic from me, I'm planning on using that as my cover story, that we were off with me training him in sorcery. Just gotta make sure to tell Gorvio, so he can support that cover story, and it means I need to actually train him in magic. Obviously, it must have been an illusion of me to try and lead the Hellknights astray in a plausible way that wouldn't break the illusion by doing something like running straight through a solid object. I'm starting to think that flight from level 1 might be OP at low levels.

We also managed to take down a shadow beast by using their light aversion against them, but there's tons of them and the corpse we got pretty much faded away in the lights we were using. Turns out, though, that shadow monsters don't like getting hit by light-based attacks such as Flare. I'm going to assume there's bigger, badder versions out there, because currently it seems like the only thing they've got going for them against a prepared group is numbers.