PDA

View Full Version : Unity Game (Rules lite Homebrew)

Octopusapult
2014-06-14, 09:43 PM
Posting this for people to read it, review it, tell me how bad it is.

It was all written in notepad and this forum box over the course of two days or so.

UNITY
(a d20 game)

Unity consists of three main character factors. Your Combat, Magic, and Guile. Each of those factors has 5 attributes associated with it as listed below.

Combat
-Action
-Defense
-Fighting
-Footwork
-Health

Magic
-Counter-Spell
-Destruction
-Mysticism
-Resistance
-Restoration

Guile
-Admin
-Lock Picking
-Perception
-Ranged
-Stealth

Each attribute has a scale from 0 to 3. 0 being completely untrained, and 3 representing a proficiency with the skill. You are of course invited to add your own Factors, Attributes, or Skill levels as you see fit. The idea behind Unity was that people would play with some of the bare bones of an RPG, and design the rules as they went along kind of like Calvinball. That is why there are no rules for levelling an attribute. Give them out when a player does good, or when they complete an adventure, or when they find some treasure. It doesn't matter, as long as its fun.

What each attribute does at each level is listed below.

Combat Attributes
-----------------

Action

0: 20 to crit
1: May attempt Disarm and Trip.
2: 18-20 to crit.
3: May counter a missed attack at you.

Defense

0: 10 to hit before armor.
1: unlocks medium armor.
2: unlocks heavy armor.
3: 15 to hit before armor.

Fighting

0: +0 to melee
1: +1 to melee
2: +2 to melee
3: +2 to damage with melee.

Footwork

0: 4 tile movement.
1: +1 turn order rolls, 5 tile movement.
2: +2 turn order rolls, 6 tile movement.
3: Dodge to force opponents to re-roll attacks.

Health

0: 10hp
1: 15hp
2: 20hp
3: 25hp

----------------
Magic Attributes
----------------

Counter-Spell

0: No effect.
1: May counter / disrupt any lv-1 effect.
2: May counter / disrupt any lv-2 effect.
3: May counter / disrupt any lv-3 effect.

Destruction

1: Select specialty. Fire, or Water.
2: May cast second tier spells.
3: May cast third tier spells.

Mysticism

1: May cast "detect" and "alert"
2: May cast "knock" and "weld"
3: May cast "manipulate" and "warp"

Resistance

0: 10 to hit before enchantments.
1: unlocks weak enchantments.
2: unlocks strong enchantments.
3: 15 to hit before enchantments.

Restoration

1: May cast "heal" and "purge"
2: May cast "regenerate" and "bless armor"
3: May cast "vitalize" and "bless weapon"

----------------
Guile Attributes
----------------

Admin

1: Know basic paperwork and procedures.
2: Can perform forgeries.
3: You have a high security clearance.

Lock Picking

1: May attempt to pick simple locks.
2: May attempt to pick electronic locks.
3: +2 to lock-pick attempts.

Perception

0: +0 to spot / search.
1: +1 to spot / search.
2: +2 to spot / search.
3: May passively "Search" an area.

Ranged

0: +0 Ranged attacks.
1: +1 to attacks with firearms.
2: +2 to attacks with firearms.
3: +2 to damage with firearms.

Stealth

0: +0 to Stealth.
1: +1 to Stealth.
2: +2 to Stealth.
3: May "Sneak Attack" for +5 damage.

So, some of these are a little vague. Again, this is kind of intentional. Your own interpretation, your own method makes the rules. How you want to take things is up to you. That being said, I didn't leave everything up to you. There's some equipment and spells listed below to help guide you towards creating your own. You may be picking up a theme here...

-----------------
Defense Equipment
----------------

Light Armor (+1def)
Light Armor+ (+2def)
Medium Armor (+3)
Medium Armor+ (+4)
Heavy Armor (+5def, -1 footwork)
Heavy Armor+ (+5def)

-------------
Melee Weapons
-------------

Fists (1 damage)
Small Club (1d4 dmg)
Basic Blade (1d6 dmg)
Basic Cleaver (1d8 dmg)
Large Club (1d10 dmg)
Large Blade (1d12 dmg)
Large Cleaver (2d6 dmg)
Polearm (1d8 dmg, reach)

---------------
Ranged Weapons
---------------

Small Pistol (1d6 dmg)
Revolver (1d8 dmg)
Rifle (1d10 dmg)

The game is called UNITY because the goal is a unification of the players to make the game fun. The idea is to bring people together to create not just their own adventures, but their own game along with it. Like equipment, the spells listed below are a little empty. Hopefully you and your players will be able to come together and create new Destruction Specialties like Earth, Light, or Dark, and the spells to go with them. And hopefully, you'll post them here!

DESTRUCTION
-----------

FIRE SPEC.
----

-Firebolt: 1d6 dmg, 25ft range
-Flare: 1d4 dmg, 10ft range, 10ft wide, lingers 3 turns.

T2
-Flamethrower: 1d6 dmg, 10ft cone.
-Flame Swath: 2d4 dmg, on target, -2 attack.

T3
-Chaos Storm: 1d12 dmg, surrounding tiles, +1 atk.
-Meltdown: 1d12 dmg, melee, +5 atk, drains hp to 1.

WATER SPEC.
-----

-Mist: 10ft cone, -1 to enemy attacks.
-Wave: 10ft dash, reactive dodge, +1 vs attack.

T2
-Lash: 1d4 dmg, 15ft, 3 targets, water whip.
-Spikes: 1d6 dmg, 15ft, ice spike shoots forward.

T3
-Ink: 10ft cone of black water, blind enemies.
-Beam: 1d8 dmg, precision water laser.

---------
MYSTICISM
---------

Detect
: You are alerted to any lifeform within 50ft.

Alert
: When a lifeform enters target 10ft square, you know.

Knock
: Automatically unlocks simple doors / chests.

Weld
: Binds an object temporarily.
: Bound objects cannot be unbound without counter.
: Bound objects are stuck for 1 day.

Manipulate
: You may lift and control an object within 25ft.
: Unless it is held by someone else.
: Mainly levers, buttons, traps, etc.

Warp
: You deal 1d10 dmg on touch.
: Works on items or people.
: Ignores armor.

-----------
RESTORATION
-----------

Heal
: Restores 1d6 HP to target.

Purge
: Eliminates status effects from target.

Regenerate
: Target regains 2hp at the start of their turn.
: Lasts 5 turns.

Bless Armor
: Adds +3 Defense to target.
: Lasts for 3 turns.
: Is dispelled if target is hit.

Vitalize
: Restores 2d6 HP to target.
: Eliminates status effects from target.
: Costs full turn to cast.

Bless Weapon
: Adds +2 to attack and damage.
: May be cast on target or self.
: Dispelled only after a hit.

One last note, this isn't about putting forth the minimum amount of work for any recognition. The idea is a large collaborative effort. To give everyone the opportunity to leave their mark. Think of how much content you can get for a game if everyone who's ever played it has contributed to it in some way.

-still to come are creatures and character sheets!-

Octopusapult
2014-06-14, 10:56 PM
reserved for character sheets

JBPuffin
2014-06-15, 01:03 AM
Well, I'll start by mentioning this is either using 1d20 or 3d6 (or 2d10, for the rebels).

Also, Mysticism spell: Transport.
Tier 2 Mysticism is required, but high Footwork or Perception is recommended. To get this spell on your roster, you either exchange on of the other Tier 2s for this one, or find a Spellbookwhich contains it.

The spell itself: you go from your current place to another one you can see. The catch - if you don't have at least 1s in both Footwork and Perception, you're going to have to roll your di(c)e of choice and beat an 8 (or, if they're both 0s, 12). Good luck.

AND, a monster: the Gorgon.

Combat: Action 1, Defense 2, Fighting 1, Footwork 0, Health 2
Magic: Counter-Spell 0, Destruction 1(Stone), Mysticism 1, Resistance 2, Restoration 0
Guile: Admin 0, Lock Picking 1, Perception 3, Ranged 2(More of a archer type, but not too crazy to do both), Stealth 2

Spells: Solidify(Tier 1; single target, beat resistance with Destruction roll=target's speed is cut in half), Barrier(Tier 1; make a square-high by 3-square wall of stone w/5 HP per square), Petrify (Tier 2; single target, beat resistance with Destruction roll=target cannot move at all), Spire(Tier 2; 1d6+2 damage, 30 ft range), Detect and Alert

Gear: Longbow (1d6+1 damage, +1 to attack rolls), Light Armor, Basic Blade

And that'll do for my first submission. Probably not my last, though, as making things up is kind of my schtick.

Octopusapult
2014-06-15, 10:59 AM
Well, I'll start by mentioning this is either using 1d20 or 3d6 (or 2d10, for the rebels).

Also, Mysticism spell: Transport.
Tier 2 Mysticism is required, but high Footwork or Perception is recommended. To get this spell on your roster, you either exchange on of the other Tier 2s for this one, or find a Spellbookwhich contains it.

The spell itself: you go from your current place to another one you can see. The catch - if you don't have at least 1s in both Footwork and Perception, you're going to have to roll your di(c)e of choice and beat an 8 (or, if they're both 0s, 12). Good luck.

AND, a monster: the Gorgon.

Combat: Attack 1, Defense 2, Fighting 1, Footwork 0, Health 2
Magic: Counter-Spell 0, Destruction 1(Stone), Mysticism 1, Resistance 2, Restoration 0
Guile: Admin 0, Lock Picking 1, Perception 3, Ranged 2(More of a archer type, but not too crazy to do both), Stealth 2

Spells: Solidify(Tier 1; single target, beat resistance with Destruction roll=target's speed is cut in half), Barrier(Tier 1; make a square-high by 3-square wall of stone w/5 HP per square), Petrify (Tier 2; single target, beat resistance with Destruction roll=target cannot move at all), Spire(Tier 2; 1d6+2 damage, 30 ft range), Detect and Alert

Gear: Longbow (1d6+1 damage, +1 to attack rolls), Light Armor, Basic Blade

And that'll do for my first submission. Probably not my last, though, as making things up is kind of my schtick.

It was written with d20 in mind. I'm an idiot and forgot to make mention of that. I'll go fix it.

Awesome first suggestions though. I like the Gorgon!

JBPuffin
2014-06-16, 02:57 PM
Here's the Tier 3 for Earth:
Quake: 15x15 foot area around the caster; 2d6 damage, and anything that fails a Footwork roll gets knocked over.
Golem: Make a Destruction check versus a required result of 10; you create a golem. For every point you beat 10 on your check, add a point to one of the golem's stats, which are all initially 0 except for 3 Health, 2 Resistance and 2 Defense.

And for completion's sake, here's Air:
Tier 1 - Tailwind(+5 ft. to move speed), Gust(10' line, 1d6 damage); Tier 2 - Smog(10'x10' area, creatures in it take 2 HP damage each turn they're in it[imagine a cloud here]), Whirlwind(single target, 2d6 damage and the target is flung into the air); Tier 3 - Hurricane(30'x30' area, 5d6-target's Footwork roll damage), Soar(single target, they can fly for 10 minutes. Maximum altitude 50')

Still really enjoying doodling around with such a rules-light system. I now offer a low-level Mage to the collection:

Combat: Action 1, Defense 1, Fighting 0, Footwork 1, Health 0
Magic: Counter-Spell 1, Destruction 1(Fire), Mysticism 2, Resistance 1, Restoration 1
Guile: Admin 0, Lock Picking 0, Perception 1, Ranged 1, Stealth 1

Spells: Firebolt, Flare, Detect, Alert, Knock, Transport, Heal, Purge

Gear: Quarterstaff (1d4, +2 Defense), Wand (+1 to magic rolls), Robes (+1 Resistance), Pointy Hat (looks cool, can be improved upon later)

And that's batch #2.

Octopusapult
2014-06-18, 12:17 AM
Here's the Tier 3 for Earth:
Quake: 15x15 foot area around the caster; 2d6 damage, and anything that fails a Footwork roll gets knocked over.
Golem: Make a Destruction check versus a required result of 10; you create a golem. For every point you beat 10 on your check, add a point to one of the golem's stats, which are all initially 0 except for 3 Health, 2 Resistance and 2 Defense.

And for completion's sake, here's Air:
Tier 1 - Tailwind(+5 ft. to move speed), Gust(10' line, 1d6 damage); Tier 2 - Smog(10'x10' area, creatures in it take 2 HP damage each turn they're in it[imagine a cloud here]), Whirlwind(single target, 2d6 damage and the target is flung into the air); Tier 3 - Hurricane(30'x30' area, 5d6-target's Footwork roll damage), Soar(single target, they can fly for 10 minutes. Maximum altitude 50')

Still really enjoying doodling around with such a rules-light system. I now offer a low-level Mage to the collection:

Combat: Action 1, Defense 1, Fighting 0, Footwork 1, Health 0
Magic: Counter-Spell 1, Destruction 1(Fire), Mysticism 2, Resistance 1, Restoration 1
Guile: Admin 0, Lock Picking 0, Perception 1, Ranged 1, Stealth 1

Spells: Firebolt, Flare, Detect, Alert, Knock, Transport, Heal, Purge

Gear: Quarterstaff (1d4, +2 Defense), Wand (+1 to magic rolls), Robes (+1 Resistance), Pointy Hat (looks cool, can be improved upon later)

And that's batch #2.

Why'd you only do T3 for Earth out of curiosity?

Also, do you think monsters should have the full statblocks like the players do or just relevant ones, or even unique ones? Like Horror, Attack, Strategy or something like that?

Your character is awesome by the way. I love the pointy hat. XD

JBPuffin
2014-06-19, 04:43 PM
Tier 3 is because the Gorgon got 1 and 2. Just filling out the roster.

Monsters get whatever statblocks they need - less, more, variants, whatever. I would probably change how Gorgon's built if I went back and modified the statblock it has, but I think it works. Only time will tell...

Thanks for the mage compliment; I might give him a story later.

Octopusapult
2014-06-20, 03:53 AM
Tier 3 is because the Gorgon got 1 and 2. Just filling out the roster.

Monsters get whatever statblocks they need - less, more, variants, whatever. I would probably change how Gorgon's built if I went back and modified the statblock it has, but I think it works. Only time will tell...

Thanks for the mage compliment; I might give him a story later.

Oh makes sense. I figured those were monster specific spells for some reason.

So, as for monster statblocks, the best step maybe to just eliminate as much fat from them as possible. As in, if it isn't aboslutely crucial to the way the monster defeats the players or the way the players defeat the monster then it should just be cut? I'll try to add something soon, I feel bad since you've done all the additions.

Going to get the character sheets and monsters going sometime tomorrow, real life permitting.