PDA

View Full Version : How does Save stacking work?

weckar
2014-06-15, 05:23 AM
I don't really get how to stack save bonuses when multiclassing. It seems overpowered. It seems that, in theory, you could take 20 classes with the same good save and end up with a base +40?

Sir Chuckles
2014-06-15, 05:31 AM
Yeah, you could.
And, aside from that one good save and maybe another decent save, you're pretty borked everywhere else.

Karnith
2014-06-15, 05:31 AM
I don't really get how to stack save bonuses when multiclassing. It seems overpowered. It seems that, in theory, you could take 20 classes with the same good save and end up with a base +40?
You could do that, yes, but it's rarely a good idea: your bad saves would likely tank, your BAB is likely to suffer, and you'll probably end up with few to no class features worth speaking of. If for whatever reason you want to optimize saving throws, you'd generally be better off stacking abilities like Divine Grace (i.e. a bonus to saves equal to one of your ability modifiers; check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) for examples).

weckar
2014-06-15, 05:35 AM
But that is how they would add up, then? Does this change when using a partials system?

Karnith
2014-06-15, 05:39 AM
But that is how they would add up, then? Does this change when using a partials system?
Yes, that is how they would add up. And if you're referring to a system of fractional BAB and save progression, it would work much the same way. You'd still get the +2 bonus to a class's good save on top of the fractional progression (+1/2 for good saves, +1/3 for poor saves).

It should be noted that many people do not give the extra +2 bonus at each class's first level when using fractional BAB/save progression.