PDA

View Full Version : Exorcism, binding, and interrogation

skismz
2014-06-15, 09:28 AM
Going to be playing an Archivist/Runecaster/Sacred Exorcist in an upcoming campaign filled with evil outsider possessed NPCs. My DM is building this whole campaign from the ground up. He's allowing us to use basically any printed, non-3rd party material to build out characters, we just need to provide sources and get his final approval. The players got together and decided to build a Divine based SWAT team specializing in the hunting of outsiders. The DM loved the idea, but then informed us that in the game world, outsiders are a new enemy, with very little information existing about them. My character's goal, outside of providing runes of awesome to the group, is to document information about this new 'invading' enemy, and gaining as much information from the possessing outsiders to help combat the creatures in the future.

Im looking for the correct sequence of events to effectively 'capture' the possessing outsider so I can try and gain as much information as possible before killing/banishing it back to it's plane.

Hurdles so far:

Step 1: Capture the possessed NPC: Geas-like spell? But who gets controlled? The NPC or the Outsider? Couldn't the outsider just leave the NPC, returning to it's Ethereal state?

Step 2: Exorcism: This one is easy, thanks to Sacred Exorcist

Step 3: Capture the now Ethereal Outsider: This would have to be some kind of pre-set trap consisting of Magic Circles, Dimensional Anchor, and something to force the outsider to lose etherealness, yet not just end up back at it's material body.

Step 4: Make this non-summoned outsider give me information it doesn't want me to know: D&D version of tickle fights? I assume once I have the outsider trapped, I can treat it as 'summoned' in terms of using tricks a summoner would use to get a Planer Bound Outsider to agree to give the summoner information.

I'd appreciate any advice or tips the playground can offer!

skismz
2014-06-16, 05:33 AM
I've done a bit more research and asked around. It was suggested I try and convince the outsider to possess something else, thus removing the whole first three steps. With this in mind, I found the Nar Demonbinder, 3.0 but kinda cool. I wonder if the two level dip for Iron Sign is worth the loss of Archivist levels. Maybe something like Archivist 9/ Runecaster 8/ SE 1/ ND 2?

Any input?