PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying [FR] Deity/Alignment for ruthless, but not "evil" character

Firechanter
2014-06-15, 01:09 PM
Hello Playground,

I'm cooking up a concept for a new character for an upcoming FR game. It's not really urgent because our current game is still going strong, but I like to explore my options in good time.

The point: I normally play kinda goody-two-shoes characters. Currently, a NG Bard type who is almost too nice. Offers quarter to surrendering enemies, shows leniency to wrongdoers (he has his own barony now), makes sure he treats everyone fairly, stuff like that. I take my moral dilemmas seriously, and it's all well and good for this campaign, but sometimes I'd enjoy just kicking that random ass into the middle of next week more.

So my idea for the next character would be: someone who doesn't have so many qualms about _possibly_ hurting an innocent or not living up to his own moral code of Good-ness. Someone who gets **** done; who is willing to break some eggs to make that omelette. However, someone with good intentions, but a kind of "the end justifies the means" attitude. But he'd still be true to his companions and not cause suffering for the fun of it. So his alignment would probably not be Good, but rather some Neutral or maybe even Evil. That's not really the problem.

The problem is: what would be an appropriate patron deity for such a mindset?
While I technically wouldn't mind an Evil deity, the Forgotten Realms ones all seem so stereotypical, two-dimensional. :/ I read the descriptions in FRCS or F&P and it keeps going "terribly evil, revels in suffering, feasts on the blood of the innocent, etc" -- and that's not something I could get behind.

Any idea what FR patron deities would mesh well with such a character?
Oh btw he's going to be a human, so better no weird racial deities.

Eldonauran
2014-06-15, 01:36 PM
You could easily pull off chaotic neutral with that kind of mindset. Tempus would be a good fit.

Muggins
2014-06-15, 01:42 PM
Chaotic Neutral implies that the character follows his whims, rather than a personal code. I feel that Hoar (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hoar), god of retribution, might be a better patron deity.

Uphold true and fitting justice and maintain the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law. Fitting recompense will always accrue for one's actions. Violence will meet violence and evil pay back evil, but good will also come to those who do good. Walk the line of the Doombringer's teachings, seeking retribution, but do not fall into the trap of pursuing evil acts for evil's sake, for that way is seductive and leads only to one's downfall. Vengeance must be sought for all injustices, and all punishments must fit the crime. Revenge is sweetest when it is sharpened with irony. All attacks must be avenged. Those who do not respond to attacks against their person or that which they hold dear only invite further attacks.

Remember: in the Forgotten Realms, it's important to have a deity. Lacking one means that you become joined with the Wall of the Faceless. Even if your devotion to a deity is only tangential, it's better to half-heartedly follow one than to follow none.

Red Fel
2014-06-15, 01:45 PM
The problem is: what would be an appropriate patron deity for such a mindset?
While I technically wouldn't mind an Evil deity, the Forgotten Realms ones all seem so stereotypical, two-dimensional. :/ I read the descriptions in FRCS or F&P and it keeps going "terribly evil, revels in suffering, feasts on the blood of the innocent, etc" -- and that's not something I could get behind.

Any idea what FR patron deities would mesh well with such a character?
Oh btw he's going to be a human, so better no weird racial deities.

Hmm... How about Waukeen? As a mercantile deity, Waukeen is all about being ruthless in getting the job done. She's neither Good nor Evil, neither too Lawful nor too Chaotic. Like any good businesswoman, she knows you have to cultivate strong relationships to succeed, so she's loyal to her friends and has relatively few enemies. But she also knows you have to strangle the ever-loving crap out of a few farmers to make an omelet from time to time; she's not above dirtying her hands to do what is needed to promote her professional interests. A follower of Waukeen need not follow her dogma solely on the basis of trade; that same dogma can apply to virtually any profession, including adventuring. Be loyal to your friends, but follow your own interest foremost; be ruthless in your goals, but don't maliciously violate another person's commercial interests; never be needless in any undertaking, but conserve your energies for what's needed.

Another ruthless-but-fair deity is Kelemvor. Kelemvor had many friends, but chose his duty above them; your character's duty is not likely to be so lofty as to force him into that situation. A follower of Kelemvor would adopt his patron's impassive, brutal views on doing what is needed. However, being a mortal, a follower of Kelemvor would also be able to remain loyal to his friends. Remember: Lawful Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Another option for a patron is Oghma, the God of Does-Not-Give-A-Hoot. Boccob's Faerunian brother. Oghma is a great choice for a goal-oriented sort of person who, like Waukeen, doesn't care for Good, Evil, Law, or Chaos. But while Waukeen's followers are more about relationships and successes in business, Oghma's followers tend to be about achievements, particularly in scholarship, innovation and the arts. Basically, if you're going with a more brainy-type character, who is ruthless in pursuing his academic or epic goals, Oghma could be a great choice.

Firechanter
2014-06-15, 03:07 PM
Hey cool, thanks for the quick replies!

Since the character I envision is going to be a Beatstick, Oghma is probably a bit too brainy, but I especially like the suggestions of Hoär and Kelemvor.
Another player has already expressed interest in playing a Cleric of Kelemvor, so that may be a pro or a con, depending how you see it. But it's certainly an interesting deity, and I've eyed it anyway.

Special thanks for the suggestion of Hoär (I spell it that way because I disagree with the pronunciation "hore" given in F&P, too much of a homophone with a derogative for my liking, so I pronounce it ho-are). Since it's listed in the "Other Deities of Faerun" chapter, it has thoroughly flown under my radar the whole time.

So, I'll probably go with Hoär if I am going to play a Warblade; however I might also take Kelemvor and go RKV.