PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can Summoned creature in AMF use (Su) abilities?

Frosty
2014-06-15, 09:28 PM
Situation: A Summoner casts Antimagic Field on his Eidolon (which has the Spell Resistance evolution).

Can I deliberately choose to FAIL a spell resistance check as to allow the Eidolon to remain summoned?

Since the Eidolon has resisted the AMF, does it get to keep using its (Su) and (Sp) abilities?

Even if so, then even though the Eidolon remains, all of its magic items will be inactive as it is actually in the field?

Can someone then cast a spell at the Eidolon (for example Hold Monster)? Even though the Eidolon is inside the AMF, it's not actually affected/protected by it right now? It is merely not affected by it I guess? But then, wouldn't that mean the Eidolon's magic items work as well? I mean if the emanation were shaped as to exclude the square the Eidolon is in, then others can definitely target the Eidolon with spells, but in this case I'm really not sure.

PsyBomb
2014-06-15, 09:34 PM
Yes, you can choose to fail the caster level check

Treat the Eidolon just like anyone else in an AMF. Gear becomes nonmagical, and Spells/Sp/Su cannot be used within the field. Similarly, Hold Person won't work on it.

Frosty
2014-06-15, 10:01 PM
So the SR only protects the Summoned Creature from winking out. It doesn't actually make the creature immune to the other effects of AMF is what you're saying?

deuxhero
2014-06-15, 10:20 PM
Don't think you can cast it ON the Eidolon as its range is "Area 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you" not "you" (as share spells requires).

Improved Share Spells fixes this, but requires you to be within 5 feet of it.

Frosty
2014-06-15, 10:41 PM
Don't think you can cast it ON the Eidolon as its range is "Area 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you" not "you" (as share spells requires).

Improved Share Spells fixes this, but requires you to be within 5 feet of it.A distinction that my DM does not see. And I agree with him. It is, for all intents and purposes, a spell you can only cast on yourself.

deuxhero
2014-06-18, 12:08 AM
Yeah I agree it's stupid and one thing that should be ignored.

It does open the bag of worms on what happens if SR doesn't protect him (winks out because it's summoned, but the AMF is tied to it so it goes away and ughhh), but there's apparently already one summoned monster that can do AMF