PDA

View Full Version : New Core Class- Assailing Warrior

Spikes01k
2007-02-22, 10:42 PM
Assailing Warrior

Much like the Fighter the Assailing Warrior is well trained in the art of war. However the Assailing Warrior is a bit less focused on armor, and more focused on the act of getting out of the way of attacks and placing their hits and shots better. In armies Assailing Warrior acts like a secondary line for detecting ambushes. Where as a Scout is just that a scout an Assailing Warrior is more of a watch gaurd and what a Scout might miss an Assailing Warrior will hopefully catch. An Assailing Warrior is also responsible for getting messages from scouts when enemies are close. So they far-goad their heavy armor had tower shield training. The Assailing Warrior also is a little better trained to help them survive and optimize their abilities out in the world and the battle field.

Alignment: Commonly Lawful, always lawful if in an army, but can be any.
HD: D10
Weapons and Armor: all Marial and Simple weapons. Light and Medium Armor. Light and heavy shields. No Tower Shield.
Skill points: (4+int)x4 first level, 4+int per level
Class Skills class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Assailing Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Assailing Strike: +1d6 damage, One of War
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Bonus feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Skillful Adept

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Assailing Strike: +2d6 damage

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Greater Resistance

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Bonus feat

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Skillful Adept

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Assailing Strike: +3d6 damage

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Bonus feat

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+3|Skillful Adept

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+4|Assailing Strike: +4d6 damage

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+4|Greater Resistance

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+4|Bonus feat

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+5|Skillful Adept

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+5|Assailing Strike: +5d6 damage

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+5

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+6|Bonus feat

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+6|Skillful Adept

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+6|Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage or Bonus Feat[/table]

Epic
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

21st|
+21|
+12|
+7|
+7|Greater Resistance

22nd|
+22|
+13|
+7|
+7|Bonus feat or Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage

23rd|
+23|
+13|
+7|
+7|Skillful Adept

24th|
+24|
+14|
+8|
+8|Bonus feat or Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage

25th|
+25|
+14|
+8|
+8

26th|
+26|
+15|
+8|
+8|Bonus feat or Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage

27th|
+27|
+15|
+9|
+9|Skillful Adept

28th|
+28|
+16|
+9|
+9|Bonus feat or Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage

29th|
+29|
+16|
+9|
+9|Greater Resistance

30th|
+30|
+17|
+10|
+10|Bonus feat or Assailing Strike: +6d6 damage[/table]

Abilities

One of War: Count 1/2 Assailing Warrior class levels, rounded down, as fighter levels when purchasing feats.

Assailing Strike: +1d6 damage to all melee, and ranged attacks with in 30ft of target, as long as they move 10ft before attack. This strike does work with ranged weapons but you must remain with in 30 of your target. Assailing Strike counts as Skirmish for the purposes of meeting the requirements of feats, which does not affect the armor class bonus of skirmish, and prestige classes. Only works on things sneak attack would. Assailing Strike works identically to skirmish except with out the bonus to armor class.
Starting at level 20, and into epic levels, you may choose to ether gain this or a bonus feat, each time you choose this strike your damage increases by 1D6 additional damage, if you do not chose this strike you gain a bonus feat instead.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, an Assailing Warrior gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The Assailing Warrior gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every four Assailing Warrior levels thereafter (6th, 10th, 14th, 18th) with the exception of level 20 and epic levels. These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. An Assailing Warrior must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score, equivolent fighter level, and base attack bonus minimums.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A fighter is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Skillful Adept: You may gain one of these feats at level 3 and every four levels there after. You may chose from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Skill Focus (in a class skill only), Skill Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana page 81), and Open Mind (Complete Adventure).

Greater Resistance: Starting at level 5 and every 8 levels there after you gain a +1 permanent increase to ether your Reflex or Will saves. Once chosen this can never be changed; the choice made at one level does not effect the choices made at later levels.

Note:

Yeah it maybe a bit more powerful than a fighter, but the fighter is a little on the week side as it is.

Yes I got this from the scout, but I was disappointed with their lack of front line melee ability. This class is a little more focused on that area.

Spikes01k
2007-03-05, 05:47 PM
Ok its been a while. So whats up with this job? Is it over powered? Do you have some sugestions? Help please

Matthew
2007-03-08, 05:04 PM
It is probably just that there is not much to it. It's a Fighter who can use a Bonus Feat to gain 1D6 Skirmish Damage and a bit of a Saving Throw Bonus.

It does not seem overpowered to me, just a variant on the Fighter; you might want to consider using the Tables outlined in the Home Brew Thread, they do look a lot nicer and might persuade someone else to comment.

Orzel
2007-03-08, 05:15 PM
It's pretty much a fighter variant with bwtter saves, less armor, and skirnish damage. It fits its description well...

Spikes01k
2007-03-08, 06:48 PM
It is probably just that there is not much to it. It's a Fighter who can use a Bonus Feat to gain 1D6 Skirmish Damage and a bit of a Saving Throw Bonus.

It does not seem overpowered to me, just a variant on the Fighter; you might want to consider using the Tables outlined in the Home Brew Thread, they do look a lot nicer and might persuade someone else to comment.

Thank you! I didn't know about that. How does this look?

Spikes01k
2007-03-08, 06:49 PM
It's pretty much a fighter variant with bwtter saves, less armor, and skirnish damage. It fits its description well...

Thank you. May I inquire what you mean by "It fits its description well..."

Spikes01k
2007-04-24, 09:37 AM
I re-worked it so the get more bonuses sooner with less dead levels, one of the key problems with fighters. But in the general overall 20 level build it is only slightly more powerful.

Fako
2007-04-24, 04:53 PM
As it stands it looks balanced to me, although it is rather bland. It gains a toned-down Skirmish, and one less feat than the fighter gets...

Your flavor text says that they are trained in getting out of the way, but the only thing reflecting that is their Greater Resistance class feature. Was this intentional?

All in all, you did a good job on it... but there's really nothing "catchy" about it. Nothing special that it gets... no cool abilities... it just looks like a slightly boosted version of the fighter to me.

EvilElitest
2007-04-24, 10:11 PM
The guy in front of me is right, you need better fluff
Something catchy

from,
EE

Vhaidara
2007-04-24, 10:28 PM
Fighters are not underpowered, they're stereotyped. Bards are underpowered. A level 20 Fighter has a few options:
1. Cliched greatsword-and-big-heavy-armor; hard to hit, doesn't give many chances to hit.
1a. Variant using a longsword and a heavy steel shield or a tower shield.
2. Swashbuckling DEX based; almost useless against undead, but crit 1 time in four, uses high DEX and Combat Expertise to make themselves untouchable.
3. Archer; enemies don't even have a chance to attack.

Also, fighters usually have one of these three disciplines, but have enough feats to have medium training in another. Definately not underpowered.

Spikes01k
2007-04-25, 04:37 PM
As it stands it looks balanced to me, although it is rather bland. It gains a toned-down Skirmish, and one less feat than the fighter gets...

Your flavor text says that they are trained in getting out of the way, but the only thing reflecting that is their Greater Resistance class feature. Was this intentional?

All in all, you did a good job on it... but there's really nothing "catchy" about it. Nothing special that it gets... no cool abilities... it just looks like a slightly boosted version of the fighter to me.

As for them "getting out of the way", that has to do with the fact that they only have medium armor and have the tumble skill, which implies a more dex based class.