PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Raising Tool Skill Check Bonus ?

TB Yardstick
2014-06-15, 10:30 PM
Is there a way in which to raise the bonus a tool gives to skill checks magically? (For example raising the thief tool bonus from +2 to +4 or something of that nature). I know their are easy ways to just raise the skill check but this isa role playing choice

HunterOfJello
2014-06-15, 11:40 PM
Circumstance bonuses are one of the few bonuses in the game that stack, so you can get multiple circumstance bonuses from different sources to accomplish your goal as long as they aren't essentially the exact same thing.

Expert Assistance is a type of Improved Aid Another that can let someone gain a higher than +2 from an Aid Another action.

For Move Silently you can get a circumstance bonus from having drow spider's silk weaved into your armor while also obtaining a circumstance bonus from having Silent Shoes (Arms and Equipment Guide).

~~~~~~~

I do remember something similar to what you're talking about, but i think it was that it's possible to make a weapon masterwork more than once over through some dwarven template method.

HighWater
2014-06-16, 03:01 AM
Is there a way in which to raise the bonus a tool gives to skill checks magically? (For example raising the thief tool bonus from +2 to +4 or something of that nature). I know their are easy ways to just raise the skill check but this isa role playing choice
Hello Yardstick,

I get the feeling you're looking for the following:

Skill bonus (competence) Bonus squared × 100 gp

It is possible to make items with a higher bonus to skills than the masterwork tools, but it will be a competence bonus, rather than the circumstance bonusses a MW tool provides (you can't stack the circumstance bonuses provided by different Mw tools, btw). Competence bonuses do not stack with other competence bonuses to the same skill.

A +4 item of Survival, for instance, would be 4^2 x 100gp = 1600gp, provided it takes up a "body slot".

Mw tools do not take up a body slot, so the cost of adding a competence bonus to it is doubled. Because skillbonusses could be considered "common item effects", there needn't be another surcharge according to the Magic Item Compendium (otherwise, it's another + 1/2 * price of the mw tool).

Enchanting a MW tool with a +2 competence bonus (so it provides +2 circumstance and +2 competence) would be:
2^2 x 100gp x 2 (not a body slot) = 800gp. This is on top of the original Mw tool cost.

Check with your DM whether she/he actually considers this a fair price.