PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monk Archetype: This Is Definitely Not a Firebender

AstralFire
2014-06-16, 12:39 AM
There are those who devote their bodies towards the mastery of flame, both in its essence and its reality. Called fire dancers, they often are street performers in cities, religious fire breathers, or simply pyromaniacs who took their game up to the next level. Because of fire dancing's strong roots in entertainment, members of this archetype may be rare, but they come from a more diverse set of backgrounds than a typical monk or martial artist.

Alter Flames (Su): A fire dancer can alter or start a fire within 60 feet as a swift action. The area or creature to be affected must be within line of sight. Altering a pre-existing fire has a target area of a 1 5-foot cube, and may affect flames on a creature. If multiple creatures are in a target area, the monk may choose to selectively ignore certain ones. This area increases to 2 adjacent 5-foot cubes at 2nd level, 4 adjacent cubes at 5th level, and then by another two adjacent cubes every three levels afterwards, up to a maximum of 14 adjacent 5-foot cubes at 20th level. Not all cubes must be used. If a saving throw is necessary, it is set at a difficulty class of 10+1/2 monk level+wisdom modifier.
Heatwave: Creatures in the target area must succeed at a fortitude saving throw or take 1d6 non-lethal fire damage, plus an additional 1d6 for every two class levels the fire dancer possesses. This fatigues or exhausts the creature as appropriate, until the non-lethal damage is healed. Success negates all effects.
Pyrogenesis: Creatures in the target area are subject to 1d6 fire damage, plus an additional 1d6 damage for every two class levels the fire dancer possesses; they also catch on fire. A reflex save reduces the damage by half and prevents catching on fire. Creatures with the [fire] or [water] subtype cannot catch on fire.
Quench: The fire dancer may quench or shape flames in the target area. If the fire is mundane, it is automatically canceled. A magical fire is only cancelled if the fire dancer's class level is 4 or more higher than the creator's caster level, and a permanent magical fire such as a continual flame still relights itself within 1d6 minutes of the effect.

This ability replaces flurry of blows.

Stunning Flame: At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. The monk may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to his monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels he has in classes other than monk.

At 4th level, the fire dancer may also spend a ki point as a swift action to empower his stunning fist for one round. An empowered stunning fist gains the following benefit: when used against a creature that is currently on fire or possesses the fire subtype, his stunning fist gains a +4 bonus to its difficulty class. If the creature is normally immune to critical hits (even partially immune), he does not gain the bonus, but his stunning fist is able to bypass their critical immunity.

At 12th level, the fire dancer gains the previous benefit to his stunning fist at all times. Empowering his stunning fist instead increases the duration of his stun by 1 round if successful. Even if the target makes their save, they are sickened for one round.

At 20th level, the fire dancer gains the previous benefit to his stunning fist at all times. Empowering his stunning fist instead allows him to use it twice in one round, on two separate attacks.

This ability alters stunning fist.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a fire dancer gains a ki pool. He gains the following benefits as long as he keeps at least 1 point in his ki pool.
At 4th level, a creature set on fire by the monk takes an additional 1d6 damage for every four class levels the monk possesses.
At 7th level, half of the fire damage the monk deals is not affected by resistance or immunity. This includes creatures taking damage from lingering fire within range.
At 10th level, creatures and objects the monk sets on fire do not go out unless a move action or full-round action is taken trying to put the fire out, as described in "catching on fire."
At 16th level, the monk deals an additional +2 damage with every fire damage die he uses, for all purposes.

This ability alters ki pool.

Purity of Wind (Su): At 5th level, as long as the fire dancer is not denied his dexterity bonus to armor class, he also gains fire resistance equal to twice his ranks in acrobatics.

This ability replaces purity of body.

Wholeness of Flame (Su): At 7th level, the monk may spend ten minutes meditating inside of a flame large enough to cover his whole body. At the end of the meditation, he is unharmed, and restores hit points equal to his wisdom modifier (minimum 1) per character level as if through a cure spell. He also recovers from standard fatigue or exhaustion conditions, as though through rest.

This ability replaces wholeness of body.

Diamond Flame (Su): At 11th level, when using wholeness of flame, the monk also regains a number of ki points equal to his wisdom modifier.

This ability replaces diamond body.

Finishing Flame (Su): At 15th level, the fire dancer can unleash a deadly combo. As a full-round action, he may target one object, or stunned or helpless creature within sight. He hurls a soaring plume of flame at the target as a ranged touch attack, which deals 2d6 fire damage per character level and ignores hardness. The target creature must make a fortitude save of (10+1/2 monk level+wisdom modifier) or be nauseated for 1 round. This ability costs 2 ki, and the fire dancer is fatigued after the attack roll. If he was already fatigued, he becomes exhausted.

This ability replaces quivering palm.

LordErebus12
2014-06-16, 12:43 AM
awesome job!

I really like the mechanics of this. If I ever made a character with similar fire power and monk abilities, it would be this.

AstralFire
2014-06-16, 12:57 PM
Okay. I think I went through like, 5 major revisions of concept since last night. So restless.

Hanuman
2014-06-17, 05:24 PM
Alter Flames (Su):
As a swift action you may start a fire in a 5' square within 60' that you have line of sight with. Creatures who end their turns on lit squares take 1d6 fire damage.
As a swift action you may spread existing fire. You may add one square of fire plus one additional square per 4 monk levels, these squares must be contiguous but may be shaped in any way you wish.

As a standard action you may effect any squares within 60' that are currently on fire in the following ways:
Heatwave: Creatures in the targeted squares that fail a Fortitude [DC10 + 1/2 Level + Wis] saving throw take 1d6 + 1d6 nonlethal fire damage per 2 monk levels.
Pyrogenesis: Creatures in the targeted squares that fail a Reflex [DC10 + 1/2 Level + Wis] saving throw take 1d6 + 1d6 nonlethal fire damage per 2 monk levels, and catch on fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Catching-on-Fire).
Quench: Mundane flames and/or heat are brought down to room temperature in the targeted squares. You may temporarily dispel magical fire for 1 round per monk level or permanently if your monk level is more than 3 levels higher than the caster level.

This ability replaces flurry of blows.

Take a look and see if you like the concise effect.

Let me know if you want to work on projects in the future, I like what I'm seeing.

Blue_C.
2014-06-24, 08:58 PM
I think I would also allow Monks to cast Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) as an at-will spell-like ability. I know they can start fires at will, but this way any GMs can know that a Monk can light a candle, not just a bonfire, with their will alone.