PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Statting a semi-sentient natural disasters?

Balor01
2014-06-16, 08:55 AM
So in 3.5 we have fire elementals and such. I do, however wander how would one stat a living tsunami, an earthquake, a volcano and a typhoon? For a few past months I have been annoying playground with these questions just to shape my new campaign.

I guess HD would be over 9000, can not fail saves, has a fraction of INT and WIS ... Frightful presence with range of 30 miles, duration 1d4 days, DC 9000n. Pehaps universal damage and effect immunity?

I dunno. I am just throwing some stuff together.

Epic+ Elementals. How should they be statted, playground?

And I am asking this just because of those people that go "I can throw 1.200 points of force dmg at it each round". "I summon Aillip." "Hi, my name is Pun Pun".

Starmage21
2014-06-16, 09:02 AM
So in 3.5 we have fire elementals and such. I do, however wander how would one stat a living tsunami, an earthquake, a volcano and a typhoon? For a few past months I have been annoying playground with these questions just to shape my new campaign.

I guess HD would be over 9000, can not fail saves, has a fraction of INT and WIS ... Frightful presence with range of 30 miles, duration 1d4 days, DC 9000n. Pehaps universal damage and effect immunity?

I dunno. I am just throwing some stuff together.

Epic+ Elementals. How should they be statted, playground?

And I am asking this just because of those people that go "I can throw 1.200 points of force dmg at it each round". "I summon Aillip." "Hi, my name is Pun Pun".

They already are, exactly in the manner that you suggested. They are Epic Elementals, essentially. Go see the Epic Level Handbook and the 3.5 SRD.

Balor01
2014-06-16, 09:54 AM
They already are, exactly in the manner that you suggested. They are Epic Elementals, essentially. Go see the Epic Level Handbook and the 3.5 SRD.
Technically, you can devastate these things (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/elementalPrimal.htm) with cheal Aillip trick or force dmg. This is not a tsunami. Tsunami is this times 9000.

But thanks for constructive input :)

thethird
2014-06-16, 09:57 AM
If it can't be defeated it can't be stated. If it is stated it can be defeated.

I shall call that an axiom.

Promises Kept
2014-06-16, 11:54 AM
The thing is, Tsunamis and Volcanoes and such are already within the reach of 9th level spells - even a sentient one wouldn't be deep epic and unbeatable, because that's the sort of scale Epic players are supposed to play on. Personally, I'd start with a Primal Elemental, advance it's HD to ~150, give it the abilities of an appropriate Elemental Weird, make it either an Abomination or a Proxy of *insert Nature Deity here*, give it a huge space but reasonably limited reach, make it healed by the appropriate damage types (to avoid Searing Spell defeating a wild fire or some such silliness), make them able to replicate any spell of the appropriate descriptor as a swift action at will, and some sort of unique ability appropriate to the type. For example, a Tsunami can absolutely control all water in the vicinity, making any creatures hostile to it suffer the effect of a Horrid Wilting (No SR, very high Fort save required) each round as the water in their bodies flees to rejoin the Tsunami. Everything within a mile of a Wildfire suffers from the effects of triple-damage Burning Heat each round, which pierces all immunities to fire.

I think, all told, that gives a reasonable challenge for a level ~30 party (which is stringently avoiding infinities cheese), while not being insurmountable for a level 20 party which is using absolutely every resource available to it.

rg9000
2014-06-17, 12:29 PM
Have you tried Elemental Monoliths? (Complete Arcane)