PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class to advance a Naga

fishyfishyfishy
2014-06-16, 10:41 AM
I'm trying to find a prestige class that will advance the spell casting of a dark naga by two levels and give it something more useful than adding two levels of sorcerer. Dark Naga link is below. I don't want to use the other kinds of Naga, the dark one has the right kind of fluff for the feel of the encounter. It will be fighting with some other aberrations (dolgrims and dolgaunts mostly)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/naga.htm#darkNaga

gorfnab
2014-06-16, 10:53 AM
If you switch out one of it's feats (most likely Alertness) for Martial Weapon Proficiency, it would qualify for Abjurant Champion.

FishBonePendant
2014-06-16, 10:55 AM
If you read the Savage Species, you can reverse engineer the actual mechanics for creating a Naga.

I did this and it seems that a Naga would start the game with 2 HD in Monsrous Humanoid, a Poison Ability, and one more valuable Special quality. That adds up to a +2 level adjustment and 2 racial hit die for a starting ECL of 4.

The only real difference between a starting Naga and the one entered in the Monster manual [Ignoring the d8 hit die] is 7 levels of Sorceror.

So, I'd say you don't need a prestige class, just more levels of Sorceror.

Have fun!

malonkey1
2014-06-16, 11:17 AM
If you read the Savage Species, you can reverse engineer the actual mechanics for creating a Naga.

I did this and it seems that a Naga would start the game with 2 HD in Monsrous Humanoid, a Poison Ability, and one more valuable Special quality. That adds up to a +2 level adjustment and 2 racial hit die for a starting ECL of 4.

The only real difference between a starting Naga and the one entered in the Monster manual [Ignoring the d8 hit die] is 7 levels of Sorceror.

So, I'd say you don't need a prestige class, just more levels of Sorceror.

Have fun!

But the OP said he wanted something more interesting than just "MOAR Sorcerer". If you move your skill points around, you could switch 2 feats out for Martial Study (some Shadow Hand maneuver) + Martial Stance (Assassin's stance) and then go into Arcane Trickster, or myriad other Rogue-ish arcane PrCs.

FishBonePendant
2014-06-16, 11:29 AM
Well, you're right.
He doesn't need to go more into sorceror, but to even play the character with sorceror abilities he has to actually take some levels in it. And then it's just a question what feats he has and whatever prestige class he likes.

The feats and skill points Naga are described as having aren't one he specifically has to have (Except Weapon finesse it Nagas get that, then its a special quality of the race). I guess what i meant to say was the he could build the Naga however he wanted as a sorceror.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-06-16, 11:34 AM
But the OP said he wanted something more interesting than just "MOAR Sorcerer". If you move your skill points around, you could switch 2 feats out for Martial Study (some Shadow Hand maneuver) + Martial Stance (Assassin's stance) and then go into Arcane Trickster, or myriad other Rogue-ish arcane PrCs.

I like this idea. If it wasn't clear from the original post, I am the DM and this is for an encounter. The Dark Naga isn't quite strong enough as is. Even with support from other creatures it needs at least 4th level spells to be a threat to the players. Adding in some stealth abilities could give it a lot of survivability.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!