PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Boost + Searing Spell + DFI?

Xerlith
2014-06-16, 11:39 AM
So I am toying around with a fire-focused build and became curious how to pierce the fire resistance and fire immunity, since those are the most common. How in the field of RAW (and maybe RACSD) would be applying Energy Substitution (Fire) to Inspirational boost and then applying Searing Spell to it? Would it affect DFI?
Only one die of damage?
Be cast with no special effect at all?

That said, are there any ways to pierce immunity to fire with a dragonfire bard?

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-16, 11:49 AM
I think that would work actually. Neat idea for piercing fire resistance/immunity.

Segev
2014-06-16, 11:49 AM
Isn't there some sort of spell that can force vulnerability to an energy type onto even normally-immune creatures?

Crake
2014-06-16, 12:14 PM
Energy substitution doesn't work like that. The spell needs to have an energy descriptor, so you need to give it one somehow. Even then, energy substitution only changes the energy damage dealt by the spell, and since the spell technically doesn't deal any energy damage (just give you a buff to your inspire courage) it wouldn't be affected, even if you used DFI with it.

Xerlith
2014-06-16, 01:02 PM
Well, Inspirational Boost has the Sonic descriptor.

Larkas
2014-06-16, 01:35 PM
You can apply Energy Substitution to Inspirational Boost, alright, but it wouldn't do you any good. Here's what Searing Spell does:

A searing spell is so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor. Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A searing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

And this is the target of Inspirational Boost:

Target: You

The creature affected by the spell is you. Thankfully, it doesn't do you any damage.

The easiest way to optimize DFI is by directly defining your draconic heritage, which requires two feats (Dragontouched and Draconic Heritage), a level dip into sorcerer and a feat (Draconic Heritage), or a +3 template (half-dragon). Myself, I'd let you make your DFI damage hit fire-resistant creatures at the cost of a feat with similar requirements to Draconic Heritage: it would be better than the latter (in that you hit anyone for full damage), but only marginally so. I don't know, maybe you've learned to harness Hellfire or Heavenly Lightning. Maybe you're descended from a Hellfire Wyrm (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_69.jpg) or a Sunwyrm (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50179.jpg). Regardless, this is all homebrew. RAW, you can't do it with Energy Substitution + Inspirational Boost + Searing Spell.

Xerlith
2014-06-16, 01:49 PM
I am very well aware of the ways of optimizing DFI. In this particular case though I want to optimize around fire damage specially.

Larkas
2014-06-16, 01:53 PM
I am very well aware of the ways of optimizing DFI. In this particular case though I want to optimize around fire damage specially.

I know. As I said, it can't be done. At least, not with this combination you thought of.

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-16, 01:57 PM
My thought was it could be done, but you need to apply it to a spell that deals fire damage to begin with, like scorching ray. The extra fire damage would benefit from the same 50% piercing of fire resistance as the rest of the damage.

You need a searing fire spell to piggy back on though.

Darrin
2014-06-16, 02:21 PM
Would Gauntlets of Energy Transformation (MIC) work with DFI? I'm not entirely sure how to parse this... the flame damage from DFI isn't exactly "produced by" the weapon itself. On the other hand, the weapon deals energy damage when it hits, which works exactly the same way as if the weapon were flaming.

Larkas
2014-06-16, 02:26 PM
Not exactly, but maybe close enough. RAW, I don't think it's doable (the bonus comes from the bard, not from the weapon itself). But a DM might decide it works nevertheless. Still, it would only work that way for the character wearing the gloves (i.e.: anyone else affected by DFI would be affected as normal).

Still, the OP already said he want DFI to give (unlockable) fire damage. The gauntlets would change the energy type.

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-16, 03:48 PM
You can apply Energy Substitution to Inspirational Boost, alright, but it wouldn't do you any good. Here's what Searing Spell does:
A searing spell is so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor. Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A searing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

And this is the target of Inspirational Boost:
You

The creature affected by the spell is you. Thankfully, it doesn't do you any damage.

The easiest way to optimize DFI is by directly defining your draconic heritage, which requires two feats (Dragontouched and Draconic Heritage), a level dip into sorcerer and a feat (Draconic Heritage), or a +3 template (half-dragon). Myself, I'd let you make your DFI damage hit fire-resistant creatures at the cost of a feat with similar requirements to Draconic Heritage: it would be better than the latter (in that you hit anyone for full damage), but only marginally so. I don't know, maybe you've learned to harness Hellfire or Heavenly Lightning. Maybe you're descended from a Hellfire Wyrm (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_69.jpg) or a Sunwyrm (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50179.jpg). Regardless, this is all homebrew. RAW, you can't do it with Energy Substitution + Inspirational Boost + Searing Spell.

This is a perfectly valid interpretation of Searing Spell and Inspirational Boost. But I'm not sure the RAW backs this interpretation 100%. You'll notice the text of Searing Spell uses the term "affected" to describe whose energy resistance/immunity gets bypassed, rather than "targeted". So while you are correct in that it would bypass your own resistance/immunity, it also does so for any creature that suffers effects of the spell, as per the definition of "affected". There is, therefore a slightly more legalistic interpretation of the effect that would say this would indeed work. Since enemies are "effected" by the extra damage the spell generates, they would be legitimately effected. This makes a few assumptions however: first, that Searing Spell effects any damage that would be dealt as a direct result of the spell. Second, takes effect after you start Dragonfire Inspiration. And third, that is effects all damage done by Dragonfire Inspiration. All, especially the last, not necessarily given, but this I blame on the vague wording of Searing Spell more than anything else.

Irk
2014-06-16, 04:37 PM
Remember that you can change the energy type of DFI depending on what type of Dragonblood you have. Take Draconic Heritage (I think Force can be obtained from Amethyst) and a level of Sorcerer and that could beat fire resistance, Force resistance is quite uncommon.

Alternatively, one level of the Savage Progression for Half-Dragon could net you the heritage of a Topaz, Shadow, or Radiant dragon for Dehydration, Shadow, or Force damage on DFI.

Maybe Searing Spell on Lingering Chorus, but I'm not sure.

Also, you could perhaps cast Energy transformation Field on something you carry around, and then use Bardic music so that your HD contribute to some global buffing effect that adds damage to everyone weapons.

nedz
2014-06-16, 06:57 PM
Arguably Inspirational Boost doesn't work with DFI.
YMMV but DFI only converts the standard morale bonus.

Dragonfire Inspiration
Each ally so inspired loses the standard morale bonus on weapon attack rolls and damage rolls. Instead, he deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with his weapons for every point of morale bonus that your inspire courage ability would normally add to the attack roll. For example, an 8th-level bard using this ability would add 2d6 points of fire damage to his allies' attacks.

In any event Searing Spell only applies to spells, which Bardic music isn't, and Inspirational Boost only adds a +1 morale bonus to one specific Bardic Music: Inspire Courage.

Searing Spell