PDA

View Full Version : Please help me optimize my gestalt Elf Rogue Wizard

Someonelse
2014-06-16, 12:30 PM
I'm here looking for some suggestions and build advice. In this game the DM said we can build gestalt characters up to Lv5, then go single class. So I have an Elf Rogue / Wizard, currently Lv3 with point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot and bow feint with the flaws inattentive and feeble. My spells are entirely focused on using my longbow, I mostly use arrow mind, sniper's shot and heroics for fighter bonus feats.

My plan is to either go into Arcane Archer or Arcane Trickster at 6th level, but I can't decide. I am the party skill monkey and trap finder, but my primary interest in playing this character is being awesome with the longbow and getting tons of sneak attack damage. The party also has a sorcerer with nothing but attack spells, while I use my spells for buffs and enhancements to my longbow attacks as well as any utility spells that may be needed.

So I'm just looking for some general advice regarding my build. Which PRC do you think would be a better fit for me (I like the idea of the arcane archer, but I like the continued sneak attack of the arcane trickster)? Can you suggest any feats or spells or other options that I would find useful?

Rebel7284
2014-06-16, 12:36 PM
Unseen Seer and Spellwarp Sniper are another two classes to consider.

Arcane Archer is a very poor prestige class due to not advancing your casting progression. While two levels of it is OK, it's certainly suboptimal.

Arcane Trickster is pretty boring, but it does offer full casting progression which is super important.

Someonelse
2014-06-16, 02:58 PM
Arcane Trickster is pretty boring, but it does offer full casting progression which is super important.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Full spell casting and full sneak attack plus impromptu sneak attack is very nice.

Zirconia
2014-06-16, 03:36 PM
I've always liked the Rogue/Wizard combination, you have something to do in virtually every situation. I suggest adding a few crowd control spells into your mix, unless the attack spells you mention for the Sorcerer already include that. Ideally pick ones that set foes up for sneak attacks, such as Grease (note that to move through it, you need to Balance, which loses your dex to AC, as per the Balance skill), Glitterdust, Flashburst (Blinded makes you susceptible to sneak attacks), Evard's Tentacles (grappled = lose dex bonus) etc. Obviously Improved Invisibility, but if you can get the same ongoing sneak attacks WHILE inflicting nasty status effects on foes, it is even better. At 5th level pick up some metamagic feat (Extend Spell could be good, given the buffs you use) and Sculpt Spell at 6th, a Sculpted Grease or Glitterdust is quite nice. alternatively, pick up metamagic rods for those.

Spells like Mechanus Mind (+2 bonus on Int checks, Spellcaster's Compendium) and Master's Touch (Players Handbook 2, +4 bonus on skill checks) can help with the skill monkey thing, though a Rogue/Wizard is already pretty good at that thanks to focusing on Int. With social boost spells, you can even do party face, though it starts getting hard to cover all the skills you would want for that plus traditional Rogue stuff in that case.

Consider the Knowledge Devotion feat, since you have the Wizard side to take Knowledge skills it could be a nice way to boost your bow damage. If you are allowed to use Skill Tricks, take Collector of Stories to go with this from the Complete Scoundrel.

Craft batches of 50 Spell Storing arrows, and put Combust (Spellcaster's Compendium) in them. You don't need that every fight, but when you really HAVE to drop that BBEG. . . :)

Someonelse
2014-06-20, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
Unseen Seer is pretty sweet. I'm definitely going to take some levels in that. I also added those spells to my list of scrolls I intend to buy when I have the coin.

We're playing Savage Tide so I know I will have a full 20 levels before the game ends, so my build plan is rogue/wizard gestalt to level 5, then Arcane Trickster at level 6, then at level 16 I will take Unseen Seer through to 20. Now I just hope I can survive long enough to pull it off, that campaign is a real meat grinder!

Thanks a lot! :smallsmile:

Rebel7284
2014-06-20, 03:24 PM
I would take two level of Unseen Seer earlier. Pick up Hunter's Eye (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-ii--80/hunters-eye--2941/) with your advanced learning. Suddenly you can use a swift action to get 1/3rd your level of free sneak attack dice.

Someonelse
2014-06-20, 10:17 PM
That's pretty cool! Too bad it's only a ranger spell. I will point that one out to my friend who likes to play rangers though.
Thanks

Xerlith
2014-06-21, 06:13 AM
Advanced Learning (Ex): At 2nd, 5th, and 8th level, you can add a new spell to your spellbook or list of spells known, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a divination spell of a level no higher than that of the highest-level arcane spell you already know. The spell can be from any class's spell list (arcane or divine).

Exactly. Free Sneak Attack for your Arcane needs.

Someonelse
2014-06-21, 09:21 AM
Oh Snap!

I didn't notice that.
Now I'm torn. I actually really like Arcane Trickster as a matter of flavor and role playing. I was thinking the unseen seer would be good for the end game of my character, when he basically takes a level in badass.
So if I go US at lv6, I get hunter's eye at lv7 for +6d6 sneak attack, but that's only going to last as long as I have 2nd level spell slots I don't need to use for anything else, otherwise I just have +4d6 SA. Or I could go AT and by 8th level I get impromptu sneak attack at a +4d6 SA.
I like the extra sneak attack from hunter's eye, but since it is limited to my 2nd level spell slots I think arcane trickster would be better for me because that impromptu sneak attack is nice and doesn't drain what is currently a high level spell slot for me. If I wait until lv16 though, 2nd level spells are nothing at that point, let's face it, at high level play anything under lv3 may as well be prestidigitation. So I think I will keep my original build, that extra sneak attack from hunter's eye will come in handy when I'm 17th level and can get +5d6 on top of my impromptu sneak attack.

Thanks again! :smallbiggrin: