PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Some Fighter Feats for 3.5 cribbed from a class I made.

gooddragon1
2014-06-16, 01:38 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Logic
2014-06-16, 02:06 PM
Armor Piercing is situational and needs more benefit to be worth a feat. Taking this feat once is less useful than Weapon Focus.

Elude Touch is the same asDodge, except that it can be taken more than once and is situational, and therefore less useful than Dodge.

Heightened Awareness might be worthy of a feat slot, but I still think it might be a touch weak. The flat initiative bonus is fine, but situational skill checks are generally not worth a feat.

Resist Attacks seems to be the best of this list, at first glance. I may have to look at it further.

Resist Grappling might be a little weak for a feat, and doesn't seem to fit with the "Slayer" theme.

Sense Weakness is worded a little funny. I could be wrong, but usually objects have hardness and creatures have damage reduction, not both. It might need something added to be worth a full feat.

Slayer's Respite seems like a poor toughness. I think to better fit with the Slayer theme, perhaps heal a number of hit-points equal to 4 times your number of [Slayer] feats whenever YOU down a foe.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-16, 03:03 PM
Double the bonus on the first two feats. That would maybe make them useable.

gooddragon1
2014-06-16, 03:17 PM
Armor Piercing is situational and needs more benefit to be worth a feat. Taking this feat once is less useful than Weapon Focus.

Elude Touch is the same asDodge, except that it can be taken more than once and is situational, and therefore less useful than Dodge.

Heightened Awareness might be worthy of a feat slot, but I still think it might be a touch weak. The flat initiative bonus is fine, but situational skill checks are generally not worth a feat.

Resist Attacks seems to be the best of this list, at first glance. I may have to look at it further.

Resist Grappling might be a little weak for a feat, and doesn't seem to fit with the "Slayer" theme.

Sense Weakness is worded a little funny. I could be wrong, but usually objects have hardness and creatures have damage reduction, not both. It might need something added to be worth a full feat.

Slayer's Respite seems like a poor toughness. I think to better fit with the Slayer theme, perhaps heal a number of hit-points equal to 4 times your number of [Slayer] feats whenever YOU down a foe.

All these feats deal with common monster problems: natural armor, touch attacks, sneaky monsters, special abilities, stupidly high grapples, and DR. They are not necessarily as powerful as feats that you can take one time (like dodge and weapon focus) but they can be taken multiple times. I do however like the idea for slayer's respite (I like it a lot). However, if you went all in with slayer feats (11 fighter feats, 7 normal, 1 human, 2 flaws: 21 feats) you're healing 84 hit points when you down someone at level 20. Would that be too much? Also some monsters have hardness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm). Lastly, I'm not completely sold on buffing them. Going to need more responses because I thought if you take them multiple times it could be too strong.

Logic
2014-06-16, 03:33 PM
All these feats deal with common monster problems: natural armor, touch attacks, sneaky monsters, special abilities, stupidly high grapples, and DR. They are not necessarily as powerful as feats that you can take one time (like dodge and weapon focus) but they can be taken multiple times. I do however like the idea for slayer's respite (I like it a lot). However, if you went all in with slayer feats (11 fighter feats, 7 normal, 1 human, 2 flaws: 21 feats) you're healing 84 hit points when you down someone at level 20. Would that be too much? Also some monsters have hardness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm). Lastly, I'm not completely sold on buffing them. Going to need more responses because I thought if you take them multiple times it could be too strong.

In the event you have a player spend all 21 possible feats on [Slayer] feats, it is unlikely they will down a foe very often. Versatility is key, and healing 84 HP when you could be dealing 100+ damage instead doesn't seem that game breaking.

But then again, most of the players I DM for have a below average grasp of min-maxing and are not great at munchkining. If 4x doesn't seem quite right, how about Fighter level plus twice the number of Slayer Feats?

gooddragon1
2014-06-16, 03:37 PM
In the event you have a player spend all 21 possible feats on [Slayer] feats, it is unlikely they will down a foe very often. Versatility is key, and healing 84 HP when you could be dealing 100+ damage instead doesn't seem that game breaking.

But then again, most of the players I DM for have a below average grasp of min-maxing and are not great at munchkining. If 4x doesn't seem quite right, how about Fighter level plus twice the number of Slayer Feats?

I like that even better. Changing it. Cribbed a lot of the wording from cleave.