PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help designing a Hack 'n Slash

IIzak
2014-06-16, 01:59 PM
Okay, so I'm sort of experienced with DnD (I've DM'd about 3 times now, plus played in 6 campaigns) and all of the campaigns that my group has run have been really in depth storywise and very plot driven, and I'm wanting to run something that is just a little more mindless, and a little more about playing the game, in short, I would like to run something that is a bit more hack 'n slashy. Unfortunately, I only really know how to run in depth story campaigns, so I wanted to get the Playground's advice on the best way to run one of these sorts of campaigns without doing a "World's Largest Dungeon" because I know that my players want more hack 'n slash, but I don't think they'd be into that sort of thing. I know this is a bit of a weird question, but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do and how to drive the game along and provide motivation for the characters, because normally I use their stories to drive my own. I'm sorry if this question seems weirdly worded, if I'm needed to clarify anything, I don't have a problem with that.

The party is going to be:
Strongheart Halfling Scout
Human Wizard
Half-Elf Swashbuckler
Something else, but is unsure, maybe cleric?

Everyone is starting at lvl 3 and we're going to go for as long as we can. I really just need help figuring out exactly how to run a campaign in this way because I'm not used to it, but its what we all want to do. Thanks a bunch in advance for the help.

Wacky89
2014-06-16, 02:07 PM
I'm currently running a hack/slash campaign taking place in the world of diablo 2. If you know that pc game, I just use the story of diablo 2 and the quests. There isn't really much to say, but try to make exciting encounters instead of you see 4 monsters roll initiative. Have some enviromental things in the encounters or have it take place at a cool place.

Kazudo
2014-06-16, 02:32 PM
The best notion is to plop the characters into a situation where there's plenty to murderhobo. For example, a town in the midst of nightly undead assaults from the castle keep. The castle can be absurdly large too, which means that should they ever decide to go in and explore it, there ya go.

I actually ripped the concept from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. It designs what is essentially a Roguelike tabletop game (which arguably most of them are, but at least now it's defined).

HammeredWharf
2014-06-16, 02:50 PM
"A horde of X is attacking lead by the mighty Y" isn't a bad way of doing things, but it's a bit old. I'd put a twist on it or skip it altogether. For example, the PCs could be the ones attacking and reclaiming the land of X from Y. Or they could be citizens of the great, peaceful country Goblinia, besieged by stupid human adventurers just because they ate some king's daughter. Or the game could be set in Spelljammer. Or it could be about an expedition into the Far Realm.

The possibilities are endless, so why settle for a boring "another BBEG is rising" setup?

hymer
2014-06-16, 02:57 PM
Let me suggest the old school sand box approach (my inspiration is here (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/), the West Marches campaign). There's a world out there, and it's up to the PCs to explore, because nobody else will. The link should be enough to get you started.

Larkas
2014-06-16, 02:57 PM
Might I be so bold as to suggest a careful selection of classes to better emulate a hack'n'slash feel? Instead of a Wizard, a Warmage might be a better fit; instead of a Cleric, (all PF) a Inquisitor or a Warpriest (or even a Paladin) might be a better fit. Basically, it might pay to put the focus on damage dealing at the expense of everything else!

Of course, you know your players and your games better than I do, so it's up to you to know if this is feasible (or even desirable). :smallsmile: