PDA

View Full Version : Where does a War Troll go after 18th level?

Yuric the Bold
2014-06-16, 03:45 PM
In my current campaign (which is evil-lite; well kind of drifting to an all evil character campaign) I am playing a War Troll. 12 HD with a +6 LA adjustment.
Sure I know; not exactly optimal for being a powerful build but the flavor is intoxicating.

My big question is where does one go after 18th level?

I will have all my HD (all 12 of them @ 18th level) my stats will be very combat-centric but not limited;
STR (est. 50) DEX 22 CON 36 (or more; depends on items) INT 14 WIS 18 CHA 10

Do I just auto-choose Barbarian for the Rage and Pounce?

Or something more esoteric?

My character recently was reunited with his creator; a powerful mage (or possibly lich) and given the options of serve his nefarious goals or die.
The choice was fairly obvious since I was Force-pinned to a wall with magic and the adamantine dagger he was wielding was carving me up rather nicely.

I have no love lost for mages; my creator is a ****, my former captor was a mage but killed and I escaped. I have been leveling Maal (name of my troll) since level 1.
The only constant companion he has had on his journey is a cleric of Myrkul (yes a dead God; but not staying that way if the cleric has any say in it) ;Snollygaster.
All the other party members have died numerous times and some have left the game due to their own stupidity or rolled a new character only to die next gaming session.

So I enjoy the company of Snolly as he is a rather morbid individual and my CN war-troll is definitely feeling the pull of his more primal state and may digress to CE shortly.
Plus he heals me from all sorts of nasty wounds from fire and acid attacks; which seem to be happening with a fair amount of frequency.

I toyed around with the idea that I go into some arcane spell casting and then Abjurant Champion as my base attack bonus will be at least 12 or more.
Having 5-6 levels in arcane caster and then flinging around spells @ 12th level or more would be humorous.

Thoughts Playground?

Sian
2014-06-16, 03:47 PM
obvious choice would be Pounce Barbarian

Malroth
2014-06-16, 04:02 PM
Tiger claw warblade or unarmed swordsage

icefractal
2014-06-16, 04:02 PM
Any ToB class would get an advantage from the 12 HD - start right off the bat with 4th level manuevers.

Edit: Swordsaged. Appropriately.

Rubik
2014-06-16, 04:04 PM
Go more wizard, or maybe archmage or war weaver.

The best war troll is a Polymorphed war troll.

Segev
2014-06-16, 04:05 PM
If you go Martial Adept, see if you can talk your DM into letting you count your LA towards your initiator level, too. Even with that, you'd only be IL 9 (as opposed to IL 6 without).

TheMooch
2014-06-16, 04:18 PM
If you can play an air elemental racial variant of the war troll you should work into dragon disciple with black dragon then get infected with were-dire bat. then between racial abilities and spells you can be immune to damage around level 30 or so.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-16, 04:32 PM
You can be a War Troll at level 12.

Go Human Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 5/ Master of Many Forms 7 and you can be a War Troll all day every day, and even get all of its special attacks and special qualities. Every special quality it gets (SR, DR/Adamantine, Regeneration) is extraordinary, and MoMF7 gets you all of your form's Ex abilities. That's only a 12th level character! Add on four levels of Warshaper, one in Nature's Warrior, and the last three MoMF levels for a 20th level character. Get Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, Multiattack, and Defensive Sweep. You can turn into a 12-headed Cryohydra and make a 12-bite AoO every time someone attacks you with Robilar's Gambit. You can turn into a dragon, you can become just about any creature you want when necessary, in addition to being a War Troll at all other times.

Rubik
2014-06-16, 04:38 PM
You can be a War Troll at level 12.

Go Human Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 5/ Master of Many Forms 7 and you can be a War Troll all day every day, and even get all of its special attacks and special qualities. Every special quality it gets (SR, DR/Adamantine, Regeneration) is extraordinary, and MoMF7 gets you all of your form's Ex abilities. That's only a 12th level character! Add on four levels of Warshaper, one in Nature's Warrior, and the last three MoMF levels for a 20th level character. Get Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, Multiattack, and Defensive Sweep. You can turn into a 12-headed Cryohydra and make a 12-bite AoO every time someone attacks you with Robilar's Gambit. You can turn into a dragon, you can become just about any creature you want when necessary, in addition to being a War Troll at all other times.Start out as a psionic race with psi-like abilities and take Metamorphic Transfer. 3/day, you can use a form's supernatural abilities, as well.

Adverb
2014-06-16, 05:01 PM
I would want to find a way to take a level of Fist of the Forest, myself. Con to AC, thanks very much.

Yuric the Bold
2014-06-16, 05:14 PM
I would want to find a way to take a level of Fist of the Forest, myself. Con to AC, thanks very much.

Adverb, that is truly a sick idea especially if I bump my CON up through manuals and magic items. True giggity, sir.

Coidzor
2014-06-16, 09:15 PM
Grab a Martial Adept class, grab some Ur-Priest(if at all possible go with the variant that allows you to worship a Dead or Lost God, such as, say, Myrkul :smallwink:), then go Ruby Knight Vindicator with suitable adaptation to your religion.